Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch's Blade Runner 2049

antovolk

Personally I think the whole score struggles with dynamics as the bass is over bearing, since I don't have speakers that I consider great, I have a multitude of headphones for go to, given the sub regional that this OST delivers, it is hardly conveying what I think the composer intended

On the flip side, I can put in BR at anytime and it does feel at home with my cans. Is it me or does every OST these days have to be seismic? 2049 has none of the beauty of suitableness of Vangelis...

2 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

I agree, this is the best option. One note - the third CD contains an entirely new Vangelis album, composed by him, not "different artists with their interpretations". And it's a wonderful  music, only occasionally referring to orgiinal Blade Runner score

Thx for the heads up, it makes the 3CD compilation even more worth getting. I should pay attention more to what I am listening to lol

So on a different note, this company that handles the 2CD exclusive 2049 copies release is beyond a joke. I got an email just over an hr ago to inform me I had not checked out my purchase just yet

BR1.JPG

This was in my email, the next was in my account

BR2.JPG

I don't get how poorly this company interacts with it's customers, they have yet to respond to y two emails and have not responded to my PP dispute, yet want e to fulfill a purchase that is non existent?

Is the company the same that composed the OST? they seem a little out of touch

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The end credits song feels, as usual these days, completely at odds with the rest of the score, and (I'm guessing) the tone of the movie as well.

Why, oh, why do they keep coming up with these shitty ass end credits song that are clear afterthoughts and completely change the mood at the end of the film? Are they just trying their best to make a complete atmospheric U-turn at the end, to make you understand "OK, this is the end of the film, you have to leave the room now"?

That song is just the end credits for that 2022 Blackout anime. The 'Blade Runner' penultimate track is the end credits suite.

Well, I listened to Vangelis' score for the first time tonight (and am going to try to see the original film this weekend in advance of seeing the new one on Monday).

I can definitely see why people like it so much more than Wallfisch and Zimmer's. It's much more harmonically satisfying, and some of the melancholy jazz parts are gorgeous, perfectly conjuring the image of a person waiting at night on a rainy sidewalk (I will have to see if that ever occurs in the film!) 

That said, calling Vangelis' better based on one listen to each may be a little much. I'll have to compare them more in the future. 

Listening to the score in film, while it obviously lacked that Vangelis spark, I thought it was a fine successor score, and didn't really mind the heavier, more modern sound.

Listening to the album (couple times now), it's hard not to call this a disappointment. I don't mind the heavy bass and odd percussions (in the film they mostly blend into the sound design), but there really isn't enough melodic stuff. Vangelis had some really beautiful compositions throughout the original, and that definitely feels lacking here.

Oddly enough I feel like Dunkirk has moments that sound more like Vangelis than parts of this. I don't think these were necessarily the wrong people for the job, I just don't think they did as good a job as they could have.

I have read Zimmer used his own personal CS80 on this OST, as he wanted to remain faithful. Rather than mimic the tools being used, why not go off and actually be original?

There is a 4 note motif which to me is lazy af. John Williams in Jaws did it with 2, but that is legendary and is in a hall of fame for memorable score.

There are innovators and then there are imitators. I find it bewildering that Zimmer with all his experience, does another vanilla OST.

I had this stupid conversation with a student in class yesterday, he decided to call me out about the OST as he had just seen the movie the day before. He is 19 ish fresh out of high school (I'm 49 and we are both studying a Bachelor of Sound). He said the score was non offensive and well suited to the movie, he hadn't actually heard the OST alone and then went on to school me about how the original movie was of an 80s synth score, ergo why 2049 was of the same.

He missed the mark on both, as he really truly didn't understand what he was saying, then class discussion ensued.

He asked em had I seen the original movie to where I had to ask him, "who did he think he was talking to, and that he needed a tissue to wipe his mouth based on the shit that was dribbling".

I have 2 copies on LD 1 2 disc Criterion, the other the final cut, then a couple on DVD and then BR + Deckard's briefcase HD DVD collectors edition. Add to this all the OST that were released. I can say I have seen BR over 100 times easily, seen all the extra footage, fwiw Criterion release has unreleased footage, Syd Meads design etc which makes this a collectors edition for fans.

So the point was, trying to reason with someone who ask you to validate your knowledge of the film seems baffling to say the least. My teacher asked for no spoilers, so I chimed in and said they all died at the end and were replicants (haven't seen the movie just yet, trying to tee it up with a Dolby Atmos session and dated interview for different course).

I think people that are not too familiar with the original film are acceptant of the newer one not truly understanding the efforts that went into making the original. If you go to mention anything of this, it's lost on people who never invested time in the original. Trying to explain anything is a waste imo

A 4 note motif that comes into MESA then Blade Runner tracks in OST does hardly do this OST justice. I managed to play the OST on some old school Tannoys

20170814_101851.jpg

I found the whole mix just confusing, while the bass is great with a sub, I noticed it's only good on anything that can actually displace air rapidly and in large amounts, yes you need expensive gear to hear this as intended. This OST is not headphone friendly imo

One thing that needs pointing out is the amount of stereo panning when the CS80 Vangelis  motif enters, it's annoying and I can't see it being helpful if the same mix is employed in the movie, I hope it's not.

Another thing I struggle with is the amount of compression that is going on in the OST, I know this is due to the MP3 AAC codecs, we wont truly know what the OST sounds like until we get the CD, hopefully the issues I am hearing is due to these codecs. So spending time with the 2049 on the Tannoys, the bass region was well employed, it actually was sonic bliss, then everything came in and was hard to discern what was doing what and how, bass suddenly got lost, motif was swirling round losing that impact of what I considered to be a center piece. This isn't a critical review, more so what I had experienced yesterday.

Everything seems out of place when put together, it struggles to as a mass stay together, singly I think it works, when as an ensemble just get's messy. Again this could be due to the codecs being used, I would like to hear a 24 bit version of this before I make final judgement, having said that, I don't find the OST to be anything unique, we have in some form already heard it all before if your familiar with Zimmer's work and the original BR.

Only another 3 weeks before CD arrives...

38 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I have read Zimmer used his own personal CS80 on this OST, as he wanted to remain faithful. Rather than mimic the tools being used, why not go off and actually be original?

...because the guy before them did just that, and they were brought on to go back to the original vibe?

38 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

There is a 4 note motif which to me is lazy af. John Williams in Jaws did it with 2, but that is legendary and is in a hall of fame for memorable score.

Do the number of notes in a motif determine its impact?  I think this one is memorable and effective enough.

39 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

There are innovators and then there are imitators. I find it bewildering that Zimmer with all his experience, does another vanilla OST.

It was done in a few weeks with an apprentice at the helm.  Not ideal conditions, plus, when you're doing a replacement score, your hands tend to be pretty tied.  How could the result not be vanilla?  Effective is what anyone should have hoped for, and I think that's what we got.

40 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I had this stupid conversation with a student in class yesterday, he decided to call me out about the OST as he had just seen the movie the day before. He is 19 ish fresh out of high school (I'm 49 and we are both studying a Bachelor of Sound). He said the score was non offensive and well suited to the movie, he hadn't actually heard the OST alone and then went on to school me about how the original movie was of an 80s synth score, ergo why 2049 was of the same.

He missed the mark on both, as he really truly didn't understand what he was saying, then class discussion ensued.

He asked em had I seen the original movie to where I had to ask him, "who did he think he was talking to, and that he needed a tissue to wipe his mouth based on the shit that was dribbling".

...based on that last sentence, I'm wondering if I should even bother engaging you in conversation.  Consider therapy.

42 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I think people that are not too familiar with the original film are acceptant of the newer one not truly understanding the efforts that went into making the original. If you go to mention anything of this, it's lost on people who never invested time in the original. Trying to explain anything is a waste imo

While the original movie was never a huge favorite of mine like some - I'm in the Kubrick camp - I do enjoy it, and the score was quite influential on me.  I know it inside and out in all its various permutations, and I know every detail of its production and sonic secrets.  

Lo and behold, I enjoyed the new score, nevertheless.

43 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I found the whole mix just confusing, while the bass is great with a sub, I noticed it's only good on anything that can actually displace air rapidly and in large amounts, yes you need expensive gear to hear this as intended. This OST is not headphone friendly imo

One thing that needs pointing out is the amount of stereo panning when the CS80 Vangelis  motif enters, it's annoying and I can't see it being helpful if the same mix is employed in the movie, I hope it's not.

Another thing I struggle with is the amount of compression that is going on in the OST, I know this is due to the MP3 AAC codecs, we wont truly know what the OST sounds like until we get the CD, hopefully the issues I am hearing is due to these codecs. So spending time with the 2049 on the Tannoys, the bass region was well employed, it actually was sonic bliss, then everything came in and was hard to discern what was doing what and how, bass suddenly got lost, motif was swirling round losing that impact of what I considered to be a center piece. This isn't a critical review, more so what I had experienced yesterday.

Everything seems out of place when put together, it struggles to as a mass stay together, singly I think it works, when as an ensemble just get's messy. Again this could be due to the codecs being used, I would like to hear a 24 bit version of this before I make final judgement, having said that, I don't find the OST to be anything unique, we have in some form already heard it all before if your familiar with Zimmer's work and the original BR.

Only another 3 weeks before CD arrives...

The mix/master is fantastic, as it always is with Meyerson, but crappy file quality, muddy room acoustics, or shit speakers/headphones will overhype mids and basses, which is why so many people think Zimmer's music overdoes the bass.  If anything, most other music underdoes it, and yeah, you do need rather good gear to appreciate that.

13 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I have added him to my ignore list, 1st and last I hope

Oh my god almighty, that's hilarious... what the hell?!

If that made you ignore me, you'll have the whole board ignored in a few days.  Good grief.  I guess I was right, you're a tad off.

Perhaps the new skyy38?

On 10/6/2017 at 11:27 AM, Pawel P. said:

I agree, this is the best option. One note - the third CD contains an entirely new Vangelis album, composed by him, not "different artists with their interpretations". And it's a wonderful  music, only occasionally referring to orgiinal Blade Runner score

Yes!  That third CD is wonderful.  Really shows that Vangelis should have been brought in to do this.

49 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It is rather concerning when an adult tells an adolescent to wipe the shit dribbling from his mouth when discussing film music.

Ignored!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It is rather concerning when an adult tells an adolescent to wipe the shit dribbling from his mouth when discussing film music.

Given the context which I left most out, he is lucky I never clipped his ear.

You've not met these kids, you don't understand the amount of disrespect they display in class, hence why I have chosen to continue my studies elsewhere.

If someone spoke to you like I was spoken to, I am pretty sure you wouldn't put up with their behavior either, he never wanted to "discuss" he wanted to provoke and argue.

Fact he jumped up and started pointing at me wildly in class, then when I cited Wallace as apposed to Wallfisch as composer then to be ridiculed, this wasn't a discussion, it was an attack, which promptly ceased when I said what I had.

When was the last time you had sat in a class full of kids?

So I went to see this today, meh

Cinema was one of the best I could find with Dolby Atmos, it was way too loud and I have a hearing disorder

The music is soulless, there is 1 scene where K is walking down the st into his apartment, the music that accompanies this short trip is a typical Zimmer drum rapid fire, but nothing happens, K just walks from the street to his apartment, it is a really bizarre composition that would only suit an action piece

Then I was waiting for the Blade Runner track from the OST, the best part of the OST imo is the end credits to my dismay

The movie is long boring and tiresome, actually it's not that good to look at compared to the original. I can see why people just don't agree with the movie, and it really doesn't seem like a Blade Runner universe, the acting is well, you just don't care about the characters.

To me the movie just seems so one dimensional across the board, story, FX, music, take your pick.

Blade Runner had a very basic story, but I felt drawn into the world from the music and FX, 2049, not so much so...

I give this, 2 Voigt-Kampff's down

well I got way from this in a completely opposite direction, but since I am bad at articulation, I will just say I liked it

and also I gained more appreciation for parts of the score after seeing it in context. though I still wish there was more of an identity to individual pieces

(also I dont recall any drumfire for any out of place scenes myself)

My personal reaction to the OST is similar to the Dunkirk OST. I'd never listen to it on its own, but it fits the film and works well as a functional score. It's an OK score of average quality, but one that doesn't rise above that. I'd have loved something more spectacular and unique, though, as in the score by Vangelis.

53 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

(also I dont recall any drumfire for any out of place scenes myself)

The scene I refer to is where K is followed into his apartment before the 3way, the drums that follow him are very out of place. It's actually an odd choice as I explained before, thinking some action was about to take place. Well it did but I hardly call a virtual sex scene "action".

I did forget that then

suppose that was intended to emphasize how K was one step away from becoming a fugitive (and that we couldnt trust the one lady yet)
still, I hardly felt like this score sounded typically anything, let alone typically zimmer

(and I already mentioned I have no strong memory of Vangelis' score)

The score was generally not terrible, but became downright awful when those "motorcycle" effects revved up, which, combined with the motors of the flying vehicles, made it too much to bear. No real themes or even motifs to speak of. Felt that I had to "clean my ears" afterwards, so to speak, by revisiting Vangelis' masterwork.

Here are a few of my favorite highlights of the first film's score, for those who are curious or felt the same way that I did about the sequel's score:

The 90-minute soundtrack release is almost unlistenable, IMO. So I assembled this 53-minute playlist for anyone wanting a more succinct listening experience (with emphasis on the Vangelis-like stuff over the "action" stuff):

1. 2049
2. Sapper's Tree
3. Rain
4. Sea Wall
5. Memory
6. Mesa
7. Joi
8. Wallace
9. That's Why We Believe
10. All the Best Memories are Hers
11. Blade Runner
12. Almost Human

In addition to removing some tracks, I've also rearranged the sequence slightly to allow for better listening. That is, I've kept "Mesa" (as the best track) midway. I've put "Sea Wall" and "Wallace" as 4 and 8, to break up the ambiance cues slightly. While the long, 10-minute "Blade Runner" contains segments I'm not too fond of, it also works as an end credits suite of sorts.

I think this will work for me for now.

I hope you realized how easy it was for you to assemble this new playlist, and how for many of us, that's why we like complete releases; We can assemble our own playlists from them too.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I hope you realized how easy it was for you to assemble this new playlist, and how for many of us, that's why we like complete releases; We can assemble our own playlists from them too.

Anyone can make playlists, including myself. But a proper composer or producer-produced album -- with listening experience in mind (which I'm not convinced BLADE RUNNER 2049 was) -- is always preferred. As I've said many times, producing a proper album is more than just assembling playlists. But it's the second-best option when there's no better alternative.

I actually have several other albums lined up for similar "playlist treatment" when I get time and stamina (even creating playlists is not "easy", I think, but it's doable). It's how I survive in this C&C-crazy world.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

The 90-minute soundtrack release is almost unlistenable, IMO. So I assembled this 53-minute playlist for anyone wanting a more succinct listening experience (with emphasis on the Vangelis-like stuff over the "action" stuff):

1. 2049
2. Sapper's Tree
3. Rain
4. Sea Wall
5. Memory
6. Mesa
7. Joi
8. Wallace
9. That's Why We Believe
10. All the Best Memories are Hers
11. Blade Runner
12. Almost Human

In addition to removing some tracks, I've also rearranged the sequence slightly to allow for better listening. That is, I've kept "Mesa" (as the best track) midway. I've put "Sea Wall" and "Wallace" as 4 and 8, to break up the ambiance cues slightly. While the long, 10-minute "Blade Runner" contains segments I'm not too fond of, it also works as an end credits suite of sorts.

I think this will work for me for now.

Honestly, I love "Blade Runner." I was annoyed as hell that I had to buy the entire album just to get this cue. 

2 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Honestly, I love "Blade Runner." I was annoyed as hell that I had to buy the entire album just to get this cue. 

I'm not a fan of the first percussive part with those BRAAM/motorcycle effects, but when it eventually settles in the Vangelis-like vibes, it's excellent. It's the perfect way to cap off the score bit of the album. I also considered removing the song, since it is a bit at odds with the rest of the score, but I like it in and of itself.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I also considered removing the song, since it is a bit at odds with the rest of the score, but I like it in and of itself.

Got this just now

Greetings,

Thank you for participating in the Blade Runner 2049 pre-order. CDs are still in production and your order will be delayed slightly. Orders are now expected to ship on or around November 3, 2017. You will receive a shipping confirmation email once your order ships. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thanks again for your support.

Thanks,
Blade Runner 2049 Pre-Order Store

^^ not only did they take money form PayPal and charge us when they said only when "shipped", but the dates have changed twice for shippiing

Fwiw, I got an email reply from them 10 days later citing I should not threaten them, blah blah that only CD they have is the double CD

This has to be one of the most poorly organised businesses I have seen in my life. The email you see is the exact thing I got, with a banner atop, nothing else

I know what merchant to avoid when ordering anything with them associated with it

Oh because of the poor communication, I had to cancel my PP dispute based on their inability to reply to simple emails, this now means I cannot open up a dispute at all and need to speak to my bank if there is any issues

Do these guys work for Trump?

I do like to throw out tracks that I dont think I will listen to again

but I do keep them in chronological order rather than forming any form of listening-pleasure order

I thought the score achieved what it needed to in the context of the movie. The motorcycle sounds were cool and different, blurring the lines between music and effects. As a standalone listening experience.... meh. I don't really listen to a lot of effects-driven scores in general though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Thank you for participating in the Blade Runner 2049 pre-order. CDs are in the final stages of production and should be headed to our facility next week. Orders are now expected to ship on or around November 17, 2017. You will receive a shipping confirmation email once your order ships. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thanks again for your support.

Thanks,

Wow this company truly sucks, they were supposed to ship Oct 10, then 20th now Nov 20th then I guess we will see it some time in 2049?

We've already paid for a sold out item, so it's not a monetary issue, what else could it be?

Greetings,

Thank you for participating in the Blade Runner 2049 pre-order. CDs are in the final stages of production and should be headed to our facility next week. Orders are now expected to ship on or around November 17, 2017. You will receive a shipping confirmation email once your order ships. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thanks again for your support.

Thanks,

Email I received today, Oct 10 was shipping date, Oct 20th now Nov 17th, I say in 2049 we will get it

These guys are so unprofessional, they already took my money which their agreement cited would not do till item was shipped. Not only have they lied but broke a PayPal specific which is not to take money till shipping date. I had to close my PP dispute as it was near the 2nd shipping date and took these guys to respond to my email sent on 2nd Oct

It's all very messy and I don't even want this anymore. I will try and recover my dismay by selling it for 20 grand on eBay

No this was the limited edition 2CD 2049 copies, to which they released a 2nd edition because somehow it devalues the 1st edition then they will probably release the deluxe collectors steel box edition with like a steel box which is the same as every other edition, only it comes in steel I guess?

• 1 month later...