Which are your top 5 Cliff Eidelman scores?

Yavar Moradi

I may as well join in the fun, with (IMO) an under appreciated composer. This shouldn't be as hard to do as some top 5 lists, because he hasn't been too prolific and hasn't even written a new film score since 2012:

1. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (an awesome dark turn for the franchise with an incredible End Credits suite; for a time it was my favorite Star Trek score before Goldsmith's Final Frontier just barely passed it)

2. Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (my love of Star Trek aside, this has got to be considered his magnum opus, his longest, most complex, and most epic score -- the Varese release doesn't remotely do it justice and you have to watch the mediocre film in order to really appreciate what he did...I really hope against hope that they do a Deluxe Edition some day)

3. Picture Bride (an sweeping unused orchestral score with some ethnic touches which was thankfully released by Varese, but sadly in their days of 30 minute albums so who knows how much other great music there might be, since it wasn't even used in the film itself?)

4. Ocean Men (a fantastic orchestral "ocean score" -- special honorable mention to his Free Willy 3, a worthy follow up to Basil Poledouris's efforts)

5. A Simple Twist of Fate (at turns haunting and straightforward gorgeous)

Actually that was harder than I thought. A couple honorable mentions: Now and Then (this one is so memorable and it's practically tied for 5th place IMO) and Triumph of the Spirit (rather depressing Holocaust score which I don't listen to much despite its excellence). But I've never heard a single score from Eidelman that I disliked...not sure there's any other composer I can say that about! And though he got typecast in "chick flicks" at some point, he's actually an incredibly versatile composer, able to do sci-fi, historical drama, adventure, and even a cheesy fun superhero score (Meteor Man).

Yavar

1. Star Trek VI

2. Christopher Columbus

I have a couple of others (Picture Bride included), but I haven't yet really familiarised myself with them. Meteor Man is fun, even if the SW ripoffs are strong with this one.

Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

Star Trek VI

Triumph of The Spirit

Meteor Man

Now and Then

Eidelman's career is an unfortunate one. He was apparently involved with one too many flops and it really hurt his potential. Eventually he had found some other success, but it was being typecasted for "chick flicks", as the sensitive piano composer. These days he mostly works in the concert halls apparently, where he's allowed to do more. He hasn't worked on a film since 2012. 

Yeah I too have heard he's working on some concert works, so he seems to be in Don Davis land right now...but hey Davis came back with a new score this year (Tokyo Ghoul) so maybe Eidelman will be back eventually as well...

What prompted me to start this thread was seeing the one on David Arnold, another good composer who came out of the gate with a big sci-fi score...whose career has sadly somewhat petered out. If Arnold deserves a Top 5 thread then Eidelman does too!

I'm excited to hear his concert works; hopefully they'll be released. He wrote an amazing concert piece called The Tempest for a Varese album of re-recorded highlights from Shakespeare film and theater scores:

And on Eidelman's own YouTube channel I just discovered a new rehearsal video so I guess it was given an actual concert performance recently!

Yavar

P.S. I'm not usually into scores for "chick flicks" but he honestly got typecast for a good reason: he was damn good at them! And it may result in his return to film scoring because there's supposed to be a third Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie coming up, directed by his longtime collaborator Ken Kwapis (like the first but not the second film, which was scored by Rachel Portman).

The Tempest is a good concert piece.

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Because there's supposed to be a third Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie coming up, directed by his longtime collaborator Ken Kwapis (like the first but not the second film, which was scored by Rachel Portman).

That depends if the film actually gets made. Kwapis hasn't used Eidelman for his recent films either. Personally I'd be more pleased if Eidelman actually got another different project. He's fine at chick flicks, but he's typecasted since like forever. Can't someone out there realize he's still composing, and actually give him a different project. 

I'll echo those who said that Eidelman's career is somewhat sad to witness. He was in such a stride in the 90s.

1. CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY

2. Star Trek VI

3. Magdalene

4. Free Willy 3

5. Triumph of the Spirit

I heartily recommend the Eidelman promo "Selected Film Music" if you can find it. Contains highlights from all his major films at the time, and is a sweet listen.

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You've never seen Star Trek VI? It's great!

Yavar

I have seen films scored by him (well, at least that one anyway), but never listened to an album