E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

The new material is definitely the highlight of this release. I'm not really sold on the new mix, although I don't find it offensive. It is, of course, entirely listenable, but the excessive bass and removal of stage noise (which has always been there) is strange to me. I get the latter, not so much the former.

I feel like the previously unreleased music (with the exception of E.T. Adventure) sounds better than the rest of the score for whatever reason. I'm also loving the alternates, these more reserved early versions before Spielberg presumably had Williams go full Williams. Alternate E.T. Alone is just fantastic.

Well you are so wrong!

Around 4 minutes into this recording you can hear it still playing in the line. Data, that was seven years ago. Anyway, the sound quality sounds so much better than in this set!

So, I was reading more about the 35mm mag tapes, which was the source for almost all of the film cues for this release. It's a very interesting format I didn't know much about until now. No wonder why E.T. sound terrific here, practically noiseless, rich, dynamic. Of course, all this together with competent recording engineers.

But why this recording format didn't really caught on is what I'd like to know.

14 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Well you are so wrong!

Around 4 minutes into this recording you can hear it still playing in the line. Data, that was seven years ago. Anyway, the sound quality sounds so much better than in this set!

I'm confused . i thought the didn't play Botanicus since the 90's .And why are all these new videos poping up with better sound than the ones that were posted before . Only 2 weeks ago we only had barely audible stuff

and now I don;t think the synthy version of E.t.s theme on the e.T. planet is by Williams

As far as I know, the Botanicus music disappeared in the late noughties or some point in the 2010s. I've been too busy going to Disneyland, so I haven't been keeping track of Universal Studios.

20 hours ago, phbart said:

E.T. Alone alternate is awesome. Botanicus is boring, actually. I hope the ride itself isn't like that.

Its a horrible ride. Its only redemption is the Its A Small World ride makes the ET ride the 2nd worst ride in history.

48 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I wish the flying part was longer and faster. 

It's a family ride based on E.T. Any faster and little kids wouldn't be able to ride.

I love it.

Overall I must say Im underwhelmed. I am just not cut out to be a completist. I care nothing for the ride music.  I guess i have it for the album cover. Not a good justification for the price.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Overall I must say Im underwhelmed. I am just not cut out to be a completist. I care nothing for the ride music.  I guess i have it for the album cover. Not a good justification for the price.

It's just not a necessary complete score.

Listened to the full album a couple of times since I got my copy yesterday morning.

I really don't have anything negative to say. Another great release from La-La Land and I can't wait for the Close Encounters release.

Don't think I had ever heard the OST presentation before and I have to say that some of my favourite tracks are from that section of the album. I love the concert versions of Abandoned and Pursued, E.T. and Me and Over the Moon. Also really nice to hear the previously unreleased alternates - it's always weird and wonderful to discover brand new music from a score I have known and loved for so many years.

Absolutely love the sound quality of the entire set and the work done in the assembly of queues. The E.T. Adventure being the only slight let down in terms of quality as others have noted.

Speaking of the ride music, I only remembered when listening to it on this album that I had noticed it while at Universal on holiday and wondered what it was. I'm still curious as to where the music comes from when we arrive on E.T's planet (before the god-awful version of the Flying Theme starts)

After a complete 2 disc listening the OST presentation is still the best. Everything else is extraneous. The alternates prove the final choices were correct.

I've listened to the complete score a few times now, it remains my favorite score of all time, wonderfully (dare I use the "d" word?) presented here in perfect quality.

Random little detail I was struck by on this last listen.

I love how the harp transitions from the Keys theme to the Stargazers theme in "At Home."

Starting at 2:34 until it fully transitions to Stargazers around 2:50

For anyone curious about the relationship between E.T. releases, here's a breakdown oriented to the 35th Anniversary release. The 1982, 1996, and 2002 albums contain nothing the 2017 doesn't have. Feel free to point out believed errors!

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.16.43 PM.png

Disc 1

Holy what the hell? Someone thought a treble boost sure sounds good, dunnit? Not meaning to say it doesn't get punchy, it does when it needs to be, especially tracks 2 and 11. The harp in track 13 is beautifully prominent. The piano build-up in track 14 seems a bit dialled out compared to previous releases. But due to the treble boost, this new mastering doesn't quite sing like the 1980s CD. It kind of reminds me of how Raiders sometimes sounded on the 2008 release, but nowhere near as bad of course. It's 35 year old analog sources that needed tuning up I suppose.

As for edits, not fussed. It's weird splitting the finale into two tracks after knowing it as one gargantuan 15 minute piece on all previous releases. But meh. I was waiting with baited breath to see if they'd use the film version of the finale or the 2002 CD edit and... I think it's the 2002 CD version, right? It's definitely not the Adventure on Earth edit. Fuck it, I'm confused now. They should have just picked one and stuck with it like some people are with their JWfan usernames.

I'll check back in later for a response to Disc 2.

The Rescue and The Bike Chase and The Departure on disc 1 are 100% all the same takes of the same music as Adventure On Earth from the 1982 ost, as well as being all 100% the same takes as appears in the film. 

The only difference - besides the fact that the film and OST version were edited analog in 1982 and the LLL is a 2017 digital edit sourced from a 2017 digital transfer of the first gen elements - is a short 2 second horn overlay that is mixed into the OST version but not the film or LLL version. That horn overlay can be found on disc 2 in The Departure (alternate) instead.

For the 1996 and 2002 CDs they grabbed seemingly random different takes that weren't always the right ones, and didn't edit in the ouch scene insert so we got to hear how the ouch scene was originally scored by Williams. That original piece of music is now on CD 2 in The Departure (alternate) too.

I quite like all the slightly different versions of “The Departure,” but the true film version, with Steven’s fix and without horn overlay, is now my default version of the cue.  The one I’ll return to most.

One of the worst acted scenes in all Star Wars.  I don't understand those who think ROTS is the best prequel when it is clearly the worst to me.  They got worse with each one!

To be clear, I have plenty of affection for all Star Wars movies.  But yeesh, ROTS is best enjoyed as a secret comedy.

So, the Departure cue, we have the non-Steve's fix (i.e. JW original version) from 1996 and 2002 CD, the Steve fix from the film mix and 2017 CD, AND we have the Steve fix with the horny overlay from the 1982 OST. Is this accurate?

Is this overlay something of a power dispute between JW and SS? Like "Okay, Spielberg-baby, you may have the final say on the film version, but I'm gonna show who's the boss here and I'm gonna throw a revolutionary revision of the Departure cue on my OST album, so it won't be YOUR version anymore".