E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

11 hours ago, rough cut said:

And driving is the best way to limit sensory exposure? Really?

At 630 in ths morning with limited traffic yes. I can drive by rote. Drax cannot. The only soumd I heard was the score. 

I listen to scores in the car all the time, E.T. included.  I leave for work about 6:30am too, and I beat much of the crazy rush hour traffic.  Never had serious problems with hearing the score.

Well, as I pointed out a few posts ago, I doubt that you’d notice a difference from the original CD under those circumstances.

But if you’re talking about if the E.T. score would fit a driving session in the dark - yes, I’d give it a pass too!

I remember driving late on business a few years ago, when ROTS had just come out, and I listened to a burned CD I’d made with the score in chronological order... The night was pitch black...  There were very few cars on the road... Just miles and miles of vast emptiness filling up the space between me and my destination... and JW on the speakers!

I remember being struck by how much more awesome the score was in its build-up. “Anakin’s Betrayal”, followed by “Enter Lord Vader” and “Dark Deeds”... just to pick a few awesome cues that play beautifully in sequence.

Whoa! What a trip! Good memories!

I haven't had a chance to buy this new edition yet but I've been listening to the 25 anniversary edition the last couple of days and I've fallen in love with this score all over again. The writing is so tender and beautiful and I think it may the score that best features JW's writing for harp which I always enjoy when he features it. The Beginning of a Friendship in particular is amazing to me with the simple, repeated strings rising and falling over the very delicate harp.

So true.

I'm rather embarrassed to admit I wasn't familiar with the OST until this release - only the complete film score - so part of the joy of this for me has been discovering this beautiful alternate presentation of the score.

4 hours ago, Datameister said:

So true.

I'm rather embarrassed to admit I wasn't familiar with the OST until this release - only the complete film score - so part of the joy of this for me has been discovering this beautiful alternate presentation of the score.

Same! I'll admit too that it was the first time hearing E.T. and Me! A fantastic concert version of the theme!

woah I got to that  alternate fanfare at the end of  Far From Home, E.T.  Alone (alt) .very weird and thrilling tio hear at the same time. But I can see why Williams changed it it sounds like a draft

Threw me for a loop the first time I heard it too!  It's SO BIZARRE and frankly bad, I would say; I'm glad they recorded a new ending, as the revised ending is great!

I like the stuff with "the call" at 5:54 and pretty much everything onwards, but yeah, the big music for the takeoff is really pretty lacking in the original form. (And I'm thrilled to have it! :D)

Yea, it's the takeoff music that's the weaker part I'm glad they redid.

And yea, it goes without saying in thrilled to have it!

Mike M has answered a bunch of questions for me about this set in my new main page article here:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9994

You won't believe what happened to the original album master or how Botanicus was found!

Great Questions here Jason, they put down a lot of the rumor mongering and aimless speculations to rest(while raising up some new ones) ;). I hope we will have more detailed discussion when Close Encounters finally arrives.

I was referring to this section: 

That sounds exciting to me!  At the end of the Jurassic Park podcast, you advised John Williams fans to “save some money” for upcoming releases; were you just referring to E.T. and Close Encounters, or are there more releases around the corner as well?

I didn’t mean to imply that a flood of releases were imminent, but rather that it would be good to set aside a little nest egg so that the funds would be there for whenever releases came along. However, at that time I said that I knew that Stanley & Iris was happening, but there were also one or two others I thought might be out this year but aren’t yet. E.T. and Close Encounters really took over my life this year and I’m not complaining; they are two of my favorites. But there are just so many things you can put into the in-box with Williams or Spielberg when they’ve got so many projects going. The record labels can get overwhelmed as well and sometimes these things take more time than we’d like them to. E.T. was actually supposed to be out in June and then Close Encounters in September, but both got delayed. I’ve got some huge non-Williams releases coming up as well. Short answer: yes, there is more to come.

The Second Disc now has an article up about the creation of this set's cover art!

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/11/extra-terrific-inside-the-art-of-la-la-lands-e-t-soundtrack-reissue/

The article also contains 3 alternate album covers you can use for your music player of choice if you wish!

Super interesting article. I’ve worked a lot with graphic design through the years, and paying homage - and combing both unknown and well known imagery - to something this iconic is quite the task.

Bravo, for putting up the works-in-progress!

Yea, I thought it was really interesting.  For some reason, I thought the picture of Elliot was pre-existing, like the matte painting backdrop was; I didn't realize Jim Titus created it from scratch!  I like how they described it as if its Elliot pondering on the events of the movie, from after the movie, pretty neat

57 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Super interesting article. I’ve worked a lot with graphic design through the years, and paying homage - and combing both unknown and well known imagery - to something this iconic is quite the task.

Bravo, for putting up the works-in-progress!

Agreed, I’ve owned a small marketing agency for over 10 years and we’ve had to work with some decent sized brands (nothing like E.T. mind you) and it’s always hard coming up with key art etc. for something with big expectations but you can always tell when the person working on it loves what they do like Jim Titus!

Not sure this has been posted before but as a designer myself I love Jim Titus’ work and I keep an eye on his behance profile to get some insights he sometimes posts there. No ET yet but lots of his other projects can be seen. 

https://www.behance.net/jimtitus

Posters of the artwork will be available to purchase tomorrow from Mondo

HEADS-UP (like Elliott's): Mondo has some remaining posters that are expected to be posted for sale on their website beginning tomorrow (Thursday) at 10:30 a.m. US Central Time. mondotees.com

https://mondotees.com/

The poster version looks like this:

ET-Mondo-poster.jpg?resize=500%2C667&ssl

7 hours ago, La La Land Records said:

His son was the model

It seems we don't read english and understand it with the same habilities!

Anyway I think that it is not a very good story to tell... Picking an alone boy on the street, stop him, asking to take some poses, take pictures of him, having the assurance that the parents are not near... Well, I'm not a photograph, but I would absolutely avoid to do that if I was one!

We’ve seen a lot of new poster art emerge through the years for a lot of the big properties; Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Superman and so on, and E.T. sas been no exception. This poster, however, blows them all away. It’s one of the best re-designs I’ve ever seen.

Beautiful.

I’m glad it’s the cover of the 35th.

Yeah, and you never no, whether the next release will get the classic cover maybe slightly different (A.I.), or something totally new (1941), or a classic cover that has however never been used for the soundtrack (Hook).