E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

All I have is the top-left corner edition. It closes the book.

It's for sure the definitive edition. I wouldn't discard the 1996 edition, as it contains some "wrong takes" that I like and are not in the alternate section of CD2, such as the "E.T. Alone" section, "Frogs", "At Home", "Sending the Signal" and the "Bike Chase" section, simply called "Chase". And the 2002 SACD because, even though the 5.1 section is mostly front heavy, it's very nice to listen to this music on more than 2 channels.

54 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

What book?

This one?

20171117_202454.jpg

I want to make sure that you understand I made a Joke.

I never listened to this storybook and absolutely don't care about it !

E.T. accused Michael Jackson on twitter of improper behaviour during the recording sessions of the album, and he would join Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey if he was alive. So, following this scandal, the plans for a release were cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...

The LLL CD is 100% comprehensive, providing the proper takes used in the film for every single cue, plus every alternate recorded, all the stuff recorded just for the 1982 OST album, the ride music, etc.

The only thing the 1996 and 2002 expansions contain that aren't are here are some wrong takes that the producers of those CDs used instead of the proper film takes.

This might be of interest to you

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0E9cHkK-SqctUuLKYjNov1cm3DB7Dol3CCfQqmXPJUbNqwIrwdNTtn4FqV212S-3e_GltYaEDIUM8/pubhtml

LLL's CE3K is similarly 100% comprehensive, there isn't a single thing on the OST LP or 1998 CD that isn't on the new CD - unless you care about the disco track.

In the case of CE3K, no alternate takes exist on any prior CD, its always been the same takes in the film and on releases.

It's kind of hard for you to say that, since the new set contains music that wasn't in the film and has been sitting in a vault unheard for 40 years, so you don't know if you like it until you've heard it.  Have you checked out the samples on LLL's site?

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/CloseEncounters.html

10 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

What's the best CD source for the disco track?

Disco Time! Disco Time! Com'on Baby! :banana:

p_ce3k_sacd.jpg

(Reissued in 2015 as a SACD, Audio Fidelity/Sony Music Commercial Music Group, AFZ 226)

Main Title And Mountain Visions; Nocturnal Pursuit; The Abduction Of Barry; I Can't Believe It's Real; Climbing Devil's Tower; The Arrival Of Sky Harbor; Night Seige; The Conversation; The Appearance Of The Visitors; Resolution And End Title; BONUS TRACK: Theme From Close Encounters of The Third Kind (disco version).

33 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

What's the best CD source for the disco track?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/110224/John_Williams-Close_Encounters_Of_The_Third_Kind-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

21 hours ago, Kühni said:

Ironically, the only track on the new CE3K release I *do* care about is "Inside". But I can't go spending money for a new CD just because of one track, those days are long past!

There are a bunch of unreleased cues besides that one. Also the proper remixing and remastering and presentation are worthy of the admission price alone. 

Can't we stop talking about money here? Expanded releases are a lucrative business, and in the case of John Williams who always was a "milionnaire" of records, it is especially true.

I mean, go on another forum if you don't have money, stop bashing that this or this release don't worth the money.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

JWFan - Playground of the Rich and Powerful

Can we create a subforum for the poorest JW"fans"? :P

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Expanded releases are a lucrative business, and in the case of John Williams who always was a "milionnaire" of records, it is expecially true.

Not really. I don't think you realize that a simple 2 CD set often represents years of work, and is sold in limited numbers for only $29,95.

I guess the labels are turning a profit, but no one involved is getting rich from it.

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

BONUS TRACK: Theme From Close Encounters of The Third Kind (disco version).

The actual name of the track is just "Theme From Close Encounters of the Third Kind" :)

3 hours ago, Rick said:

The actual name of the track is just "Theme From Close Encounters of the Third Kind" :)

True but we have to warn people.  Listening to this disco track can leave serious aftermath.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « disco gif travolta animated »

On 12/2/2017 at 7:27 AM, Bespin said:

Can we create a subforum for the poorest JW"fans"? :P

Better to create a subforum for the richest JWFANs and let the poor ones just have “Other Topics.”  Wouldn’t want any poors to start feeling entitled!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm confused about some of the tracks on disc 2 vs the presentation and track names on disc 1. Is D2-18 E.T. is Dying is presented in alternate form elsewhere on disc 1?

1 hour ago, FC4L said:

I'm confused about some of the tracks on disc 2 vs the presentation and track names on disc 1. Is D2-18 E.T. is Dying is presented in alternate form elsewhere on disc 1?

I think E.T. Is Dying is just an early version of Stay With Me. So arguably it's Stay With Me (Alternate) but the original version had a different cue title so they retained it.

I think it's also the version of the cue and track title they used on the previous score release, so they kept it for consistency.

11 hours ago, FC4L said:

This should answer all your questions:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0E9cHkK-SqctUuLKYjNov1cm3DB7Dol3CCfQqmXPJUbNqwIrwdNTtn4FqV212S-3e_GltYaEDIUM8/pubhtml

But to speak to that, D2T18 is "9M2 Stay With Me" as originally recorded, as has been released before on the 1996 and 2002  CDs as "ET Is Dying", which is why it has that name here.

After it was recorded, Spielberg asked for a rewrite. So almost the entire cue (the first ~90 seconds) was rewritten, and that Insert was recorded at the album recording sessions as "9M2 New Intro".   

So, D1T18 is 9M2 New Intro combined with the end of the original 9M2 and released as simply "Stay With Me" since that album title hadn't been used before.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...