E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

Doubtful. It's not unusual at all for Williams to put a different take or version on his album than the track used in the film. I doubt Spielberg even cares. With all the recent MM expansions he seems to defer to JW when it comes to musical content.

My guess is the overlay was done to see if having an extra layer of sound at that point in the score would work. It's a vital moment in the film and the way it plays now the score actually dials itself out slightly so E.T.s final line can be heard. I can imagine they will have tried versions of it to see what works best.

Personally I prefer the farewell scene with the horn overlay. I understand why it's not there in the film. But musically I miss it when listening to CD1 of the new set. 

1 hour ago, phbart said:

Is this overlay something of a power dispute between JW and SS? Like "Okay, Spielberg-baby, you may have the final say on the film version, but I'm gonna show who's the boss here and I'm gonna throw a revolutionary revision of the Departure cue on my OST album, so it won't be YOUR version anymore".

The horn overlay is 2 seconds long and just 2 notes, so no, its not a revolutionary revision.  It was simply recorded for the film, mixed in at the point the OST was assembled, then removed before the film's final mix was finalized.  It's really not a big deal.

45 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Personally I prefer the farewell scene with the horn overlay.

Yup, I think the horn overlay makes the music better, like most all of Johnny's inserts and revisions over the years.  I wish it had been in the film and became the definitive version of the music, but what are you gonna do

Guys, I was just being ironic. It's kind of funny that everything from "Adventure on Earth" is identical to the film version, except for 2 mere seconds of a single instrument.

Just listened to “The ET Adventure” (aka “Botanicus”), and it’s gorgeous.

Some people here have been knocking the sound quality of that piece, but that’s all fake news, don’t buy into it.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Just listened to “The ET Adventure” (aka “Botanicus”), and it’s gorgeous.

Some people here have been knocking the sound quality of that piece, but that’s all fake news, don’t buy into it.

I don't think it sounds bad at all. It's just not as great as the sound on the rest of the set.

It sounds older somehow, maybe with some noise. Or maybe it just sounds different.

It doesn't sound good. It sounds alright. For some reason, this track is amped up a lot louder than the others and I have to turn it down. It also has a really annoying buzzing sound. To me, it sounds consistent with whatever the old Last Crusade (and Botanicus) bootleg were sourced from, just not in atrocious quality.

I think the Botanicus sound quality is as good as it can be. I'm sure Botnick and MM handled it the best way they could. It isn't great, but it doesn't suck either.

Now the music itself certainly didn't live up to the hype created here. It's nothing more than a background music to a ride probably full of loud SFX, noisy children (and adults too, maybe), etc. JW certainly wouldn't want to waste his time and talent creating a symphonic masterpiece for that kind of experience. But it's great to have it here.

Speaking of noise made on the ride, I believe that the celebration music heard in this promotional video was composed by Williams. Sounds like E.T. interpreted by Ewoks. A little Always-eque. I uploaded this to YouTube like 8 years ago. Some nice footage of Botanicus with the music in there too.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Ok, so time to enjoy this! :)

01EA1BED-5E55-4C08-B6C3-25D01FA7780D.jpeg

What is Williams? How do you define Williams?

latest?cb=20130217040438

Or...

StarTrekTapestry09282012.jpg

"Are you asking me for something, Jean-Luc?"
"Give me a chance to listen to the complete score!"

Ah wow... just the difference of background noise in the few beginning seconds of the track 1 of the OST.

Ah WOW.

In the old 1982 CD we hear almost the sound of an airplane behind the flute!!!

WOW.

I confirm, the old 1982 OST CD is now totally obsolete.

What a joy to hear this like that today!!!

Thanks the maker (aka Mike Matessino)!

I got my copy last week and have had time to listen to this several times and it is indeed such a lovely experience, film score, OST and all topped by the succint and well-written liner notes and beautiful art direction. LLL and Matessino are really setting the bar for the Williams complete score releases with their work and this continues that high standard.

Speaking of E.T. Adventure's sound difference, was it recorded with the same orchestra and by same engineer? If not, that could be a big part of why it sounds different.

The album was recorded at the same sessions as the score I believe.

There were some cues recorded only digitally specifically for the album, and some tracks edited from the OST recordings for the LP master.

38 minutes ago, Fal said:

Speaking of E.T. Adventure's sound difference, was it recorded with the same orchestra and by same engineer? If not, that could be a big part of why it sounds different.

Of course not; It was recorded 8 years later!

32 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

The album was recorded at the same sessions as the score I believe.

The film cues were recorded March 25, Mach 30, March 31, April 1, and April 2, 1982. 

The album sessions (which also included the Stay With Me revised opening) were recorded April 27 and April 28, 1982.

The room, recording engineer, microphones, and orchestra would have all been the same (maybe a couple musicians were different, who knows) .... but the album sessions were recorded directly to digital, while the film sessions were recorded to analog tape

There were some cues recorded only digitally specifically for the album, and some tracks edited from the OST recordings for the LP master.

The album sessions on April 27 and April 28 were entirely recorded digitally only, for whatever reason.

5 of the 8 album tracks were directly from these album sessions (Abandoned and Pursued, ET & Me, E.T.'s Halloween, Flying, Over The Moon)

2 of the 8 album tracks were digitally edited from the raw film cue sessions (Three Million Light Years from Home and ET Phone Home).  The former is the same take as what was used in the film, but with a section sliced out, the latter features a spot where the take used is different than the film take (you can hear the proper film takes on CD1, track 20 "E.T. Is Alive" if you want to compare).

The final album track, Adventure on Earth, is the exact same takes as the film plus one unused overlay, but wasn't a digital edit from the raw sessions like the other two were.  More will be revealed about that soon.

6 minutes ago, Fal said:

Do we know who was the engineer? Wallin? Steiner?

For the Botanicus cue?  Great question.  The booklet doesn't say, and I never thought to ask Mike!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The final album track, Adventure on Earth, is the exact same takes as the film plus one unused overlay, but wasn't a digital edit from the raw sessions like the other two were.  More will be revealed about that soon.

Why the mistery? Just tell us. We're big boys. We'll can handle it just fine.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

For the Botanicus cue?  Great question.  The booklet doesn't say, and I never thought to ask Mike!

It will make a great subject on the MM interview we're gonna have once CE3K is released, won't it? :)

"Includes remastered Grammy Award-winning 1982 album". :) Like it's not included here also. I wonder if this was a last minute decision, like the 2008 Indy 5th disc. At least, the packing seems to suggest this.

By the way, both OSTs CDs are indeed bit-by-bit identical.