E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

That's how Botnick used to do, before going to 100% digital. At least, with Jerry Goldsmith, that's how it was done after Star Trek '79, where only couple of cues were recorded digitally. Steve Hoffman mentioned in his forum many years ago that there was a digital recording for E.T. too, that he himself mastered in the 80's, but he doesn't know if it was used.

Anybody else think that JW made a really bad choice when he programmed the Flying Theme right after Halloween? It somehow doesn't work for me. Wouldn't it have been better had he opened the OST with the flying theme instead of the endless repetitions?

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Anybody else think that JW made a really bad choice when he programmed the Flying Theme right after Halloween? It somehow doesn't work for me. Wouldn't it have been better had he opened the OST with the flying theme instead of the endless repetitions?

"somehow doesn't work for" you.  What a surprise....

It actually works brilliantly. The Halloween cue introduced the Flying theme in the score. Its very sudden and very full after such a restraint portion of the score.

And to then fully take the theme to its natural conclusion in Flying!

Brilliant album!

I see your point. As a fair and balanced representation of the full score the OST is flawed. But as a pure 45 minute listening experience its second to none. And for me still a very emotional rollercoaster.

E.T. goes back to my early days as a soundtrack collector and filmscore fan. Ive heard the OST hundreds of times. I'm still in awe with it. Like the Jurassic Park OST, or the Jaws OST.

The Jaws OST LP I think is great.  Yes the complete score offers some more variety, but he really got every important highlight in there and it all flows extremely well.

I never liked the Jurassic Park OST program and have always preferred listening to that score in chronological order

Yup, I still listen to the complete score more frequently now, but that original album is expertly sequenced

For me, the E.T. OST would be perfect if "The Magic of Halloween" replaced "E.T.'s Halloween"... I'd go even further and had "Three Million Light Years From Home" and "Abandoned and Pursued" for the film version "Far From Home/E.T. Alone", but I'd probably be executed by lethal injection.

I find the E.T. Album to be a fantastic distillation of the score's musical ideas, and will certainly revisit it.

But I am certainly a sucker for the complete presentation. There is just so much wonderful material, and the last 3 cues of CD 1 are probably some of the best and most enjoyable film music experiences I can think of.

This score is truly magic, something Mr. Williams has an obvious gift for.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Oh I am eternally grateful for that, I don't need narration over my film music

I go back and forth on that one, since Leonard Nimoy's narration is such an emotionally important note to the story.

But the version without the narration is in the main programme in my digital copy of the score.

Well, I'm listening to this for the first time.

Right off the bat, I'm kind of disturbed by the excessive bass. It never sounded like this before in any version I've listened to. I prefer the previous album versions of Far From Home/E.T. Alone to this one.

The removal of stage noise is disappointing. I prefer Sending the Signal, for instance, with the weird clanging. The creaking is gone from the end credits...

The previously unreleased music seems to sound better than the rest of the music.

The last minute or so of the alternate E.T. Alone sounds like the music I remember from the E.T. Adventure line. I believe this is exactly what I heard years ago playing faintly on a loop before you board the ride vehicle. It's the exact rendition of the Keyes theme I distinctly remember. The beginning of Botanicus sounds like the beginning of the alternate Meeting E.T. The plot thickens!

So I don't have time to read all the previouvs post.

The OST album program, is the sound better than the old 80s CDs?

In my opinion?  Yes - though of course, the original CD never sounded bad in any way whatsoever.

Everyone's ears are different, though, and some might feel differently.  Listen for yourself and make your own decision!

The 80s CD, especially Track 2, thumps my speakers like not many others. Not sure how they'd be able to improve on that other than just to put their own stamp on it.

But as long as it sounds better than the 2002 CD...

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

So I don't have time to read all the previouvs post.

The OST album program, is the sound better than the old 80s CDs?

They improved what was already good. So yes, it is.

29 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The 80s CD, especially Track 2, thumps my speakers like not many others. Not sure how they'd be able to improve on that other than just to put their own stamp on it.

But as long as it sounds better than the 2002 CD...

After this release, you won't want to get near the 2002 CD.

I'm still fascinated by the alternate Far From Home/ET Alone.  Even that high Tuba is growing on me.  Such a freaking treat to hear stuff like this 35 years later.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He told me! How does it sound Jason?

How does this new ET 2CD sound?  Spectacular.

The only person who has posted a negative reaction to the sound quality is Justin, of course

Well I will admit to being underwhelmed by the ET Ride music, especially given the excitement people had here for it.

Other than that, this set is excellent. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I've been spending most of my listening on the score on CD 1, and although I listened to the OST and the unreleased cues on CD 2, I skipped Botanicus due to time.

There is always that one cue that may not be as amazing as all get out, but which everyone wants and generally enjoys, leading to the fevered buzz of Botanicus. :)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only person who has posted a negative reaction to the sound quality is Justin, of course

Too much bass. Way too much.

Also, I've pointed out that the alternate ending to E.T. Alone is the Holy Grail mystery music played in the E.T. Adventure line and no one seems to appreciate how happy I am to finally have this. You're focusing on the negative.

You added that your post after initially creating that post, so I never saw it until now.  I'm glad you figured that out!

It could have been recorded simultaneously on digital and analog, and for the 2008 sets they grabbed the analog tapes, and then didn't calibrate the machines properly when making new digital transfers.  You wouldn't end up with music playing at constantly different speeds if they grabbed the digital masters