E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

I have to say as someone who's only ever owned the 2002 edition (started collecting in 97 and didn't know about the 96 ET at that point) This set is a revelation compared! From the better sound quality, to the alternates, or for hearing the 82 album program for the first time! What a great set and a blast to listen to! 

I also noticed the La La Land ad in the 4k Blu Ray was very happy to see a studio push one of our labels products out to more people... though I must say the inclusion of the 82 album with the set would dampen some sales.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Incorrect!

You need at least one version of the OST with the original mix.

The LLL / 4K BD version of the OST is NOT REMIXED!  It is REMASTERED.  There is a (huge) difference!

22 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

All I have is the LLLR soundtrack and the recently reissues Blu-ray (which I got to revisit the movie in parallel to the LLLR release).

To be honest, that's all I need. I have the movie, and it's score.

So true.

Nothing against the hardcore collectors.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

The LLL / 4K BD version of the OST is NOT REMIXED!  It is REMASTERED.  There is a (huge) difference!

Jason, i love you. But you can be an incredibly tiresome person.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

To be fair to Stefan it's not like he bought all those at once.  I assume they were bought over decades as each release came out.

Since the mid 90's. I was actually surprised i had so many.

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jason, i love you. But you can be an incredibly tiresome person.

Remixing and Remastering are two COMPLETELY different things, Stefan.  They are not words you can just interchange with one another, especially when it comes to film music recordings.

Remixing would imply they took the multitrack recordings of the album tracks (IE, independent recordings of each microphone in the room) and created a brand new mix from scratch.  That absolutely unequivocally did NOT happen.

The OST was REMASTERED.  They used the same album master from 1982 and then MASTERED it for release in 2017.  The MIX is exactly the same, it is Bruce Botnick's stereo mix from 1982.

Please, ask Neil about the difference between remixing and remastering if you want more information or think I am wrong in any way.

I don't buy vinyl for maximum audio quality, but as cultural artifacts.  Which is why I don't generally buy much new vinyl.  The original '82 vinyl release is a major cultural milestone in my mind so I'd like to own that.  The one you could buy at the mall.

I own a handful of records, because for a while, I was a die-hard collector who HAD to have all an artist's tracks.  And certain artists - Morrissey, Violent Femmes, Belle and Sebastian - started releasing their singles with different B-sides on each format.  So for a while, there were vinyl-exclusive tracks, meaning lower sound quality and I couldn't carry them around with me.

Now, thankfully, most artists release EVERYTHING on digital, so I'll just buy the CD, plus digital copies of any non-CD B-sides.  And I'll never ever have to filter money into the hands of the people who press vinyl/records again.

I have a stereo copy of South Pacific still in shrink. It cames from my father's collection. We can say that it was my "first" JW album ;-)

IMG_2252.JPG

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I dislike the term vinyl. That's just a fancy term for PVC.

Um, vinyl is a broad category of polymers. Polyvinyl chloride is just one of several chemicals that count as vinyl. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't buy vinyl for maximum audio quality, but as cultural artifacts.  Which is why I don't generally buy much new vinyl.  The original '82 vinyl release is a major cultural milestone in my mind so I'd like to own that.  The one you could buy at the mall.

That audiophile edition is not new. It's from 1982. Check out this vintage inlay explaining the different kinds of mastering technics. Notice how it says that digital is "a complex, but more efficient, noise-free method of recording music on tape". Digital on TAPE. You can't get more culturally vintage than this.

20171020_184035.jpg

Would there be any disadvantage (sound wise or missing bits)  of swapping Adventures on Earth (disk2) with Rescue and Bike Chase/Departure (Disk 1) to get the horn overlays in the chronological score?

I guess not. Both versions sounds good anyway.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I just want to know what's in the fucking box! Nobody has given me a serious answer yet!

Okay, okay. Here it is, the big box...

20171021_150152.jpg

20171021_150616.jpg

20171021_150323.jpg

Yes. And look how the chapters description are detailed. I've never seen it like this with DVDs or Blu-rays.

AND we STILL don't have the complete 1996 making of documentary outside this edition.

The film strip is the CGI enhanced E.T. saying "I'll be right here." The most ill-advised Special Edition ever? I don't care. I love it.

Henry Thomas was such a cutie as Norman Bates in Psycho IV.

2 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I’d post a pic of mine but I don’t have most of it anymore. 

I kinda miss those big nice laserdisk sets.

Yup. Buying laserdiscs always felt like an event, even if the only extra was a trailer!   The artwork was gorgeous. 

4 hours ago, king mark said:

Would there be any disadvantage (sound wise or missing bits)  of swapping Adventures on Earth (disk2) with Rescue and Bike Chase/Departure (Disk 1) to get the horn overlays in the chronological score?

Missing bits? No.  CONTENT WISE, both are complete AND 100% the exact same takes as each other, the only difference is disk 2 / album version has the overlay and disk 1 version doesn't.

SOUND "QUALITY" WISE, they are from completely different sources.  The Disk 2 version is sourced from the 1/4" album master MM found in London of the already edited and mastered album track as was prepared in 1982, while the disk 1 version is completely rebuilt from scratch by MM from a 2017 192/24 digital transfer of the original session elements.

Only you can decide which version you prefer, sound wise.