Film Confessions

Bilbo

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

It has nothing to do with the aspect ratio.  Or transfer, or colour correction or sound mix. It has everything to do with the fact that you're a different person watching it. When we connect to a film, it's via the version current of ourselves. That version goes away, but the film remains the same.

Look at yourself in an old mirror.  The mirror remains the same....it's the reflection that's changed a bit. 

:up:

Speaking of Titanic, there's an open matte version of that film floating around that's a pretty interesting watch. As well as an open matte Abyss SE (from an HDTV source) somewhere in the depths of the internet as well. 

The Dark Knight was alright, but the scene where Alfred tells the story about when he and his buddies were in Burma and he didn't stop the girl from committing suicide is just too depressing.

20 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Watch the Rocky movies and Fury Road. After that, you're good.

I'm sure I'll get around to Fury Road some time. Rocky, on the other hand, not so likely!

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Gloin, you gotta see more Pixar films.

Genuinely?

They were pretty great before Toy Story 3. The Pixar formula for original human stories used to be untouchable then. After that they went downhill. And now they're just like everybody else. 

Inside Out was probably the only film that was above average since Toy Story 3.

Just now, The Doctor said:

They're alright?

Yep. Never really understood the over-the-top enthusiasm Pixar movies generate. Some of those do have strong individual scenes, but as a whole, I found none to be a really mindblowing experience, a "masterpiece for the ages!".

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

I love ID4 and Godzilla (1998).

So what you’re saying is we should disregard your opinions?

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep. Never really understood the over-the-top enthusiasm Pixar movies generate. Some of those do have strong individual scenes, but as a whole, I found none to be a really mindblowing experience, a "masterpiece for the ages!".

It's because they tend to make decent to amazing well-received films, that usually appeal to both adults and kids, it's not hard to understand. Also they're fantastic in general. I don't think I've ever seen a Pixar film I outright dislike, I didn't even mind Cars 2, now there's a controversial opinion.  

If they run over 70 minutes in length at least, they are technically considered feature films. Animated films are just done much differently. I guess movies would be a more apt term, though that seems a bit debatable too.

57 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, it is to me, because, again, I don't understand what's so great about them. They generally end up on most people's list of "best movies of the year" each year, when to me, they're just well-made but ultimately inconsequential movies. That kids go crazy over them, sure, that's not hard to understand: kids basically like everything, as long as it has funny characters doing funny stuff, and you have one sad scene with a character being like: "Mommy? MOMMY?!?!?". But that adults go crazy over them, that's where I'm a bit confused. Like them? Fine. Call them masterpieces? Now you lost me.

Well, to me they're not.

They have characters people like, and adults especially the humor, the story, the animation etc.. Plus people I know, really get choked up over the more emotional moments. I know that's the case with my mom for example, but you know people get different things out of different films and all. We're not exactly dealing with rocket science here after all. 

I see we're on animation now. INSIDE OUT didn't do anything for me either, but I've enjoyed plenty of Pixar & Dreamworks movies in the past. The last Pixar that I really loved was TOY STORY 3. The last Dreamworks I really loved was WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERERABBIT (although I thought THE CROODS was fine also). But for animated Disney movies, we don't have to go back further than to MOANA, which I thought was brilliant. It currently features on my 16th place of the year (out of about 100 so far). Yes, it was a 2017 movie in Norway.

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Rocket science... Now that's something else I don't understand!

Well it's meant to be complex, though it mostly seems like science-fiction mumbo jumbo to me.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

I see we're on animation now. INSIDE OUT didn't do anything for me either, but I've enjoyed plenty of Pixar & Dreamworks movies in the past. The last Pixar that I really loved was TOY STORY 3. The last Dreamworks I really loved was WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERERABBIT (although I thought THE CROODS was fine also). But for animated Disney movies, we don't have to go back further than to MOANA, which I thought was brilliant. It currently features on my 16th place of the year (out of about 100 so far).

Wallace & Gromit isn't exactly Dreamworks. It's Aardman, though they did distribute / partially fond it, as they had a deal with Dreamworks from around that time, so I guess it technically counts. Great animated film too. Very clever. 

I can't say I'm a particularly big Pixar fan.

Most of them are very well done, and beautiful to look at. But they just don't connect with me. I've thought about this, and I think it might be that I'm very much into character driven stories, and I don't find the characters in any of these movies particularly compelling (even if they are charming & funny).  Even the ones I've seen where people assured me I'd love it (like Toy Story), I haven't. I can get through them, but that's about it.  People I know and respect love them, so fair enough.

This is really not a reflection on the films themselves, just my particular tastes. As I said, they're well made films but just not my thing.

12 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Essentially every Pixar film (with the exception of the mediocre Cars movies) is a work of art in its own right.

Well, OK. But you could say that about almost every film ever made.

I no longer watch Pixar movies because the kid no longer watches Pixar or Dreamworks animation flicks. That means I haven't seen Brave, Cars 2 or 3, Toy Story 3, Up, The Good Dinosaur, Inside Out, Finding Dory, ....

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Well, OK. But you could say that about almost every film ever made.

Not necessarily. Would you call films like Jurassic WorldIndependence Day: Resurgence, and the remake of Ghostbusters , films made solely for profit with no thought to actual quality, "works of art"? Yes, part of the reason Pixar makes films is to make money, but it's so much more than that. They are masters at telling good stories with thought-provoking themes. Whether or not you find their films compelling, that is entirely up to you.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:11 PM, JohnSolo said:

Not necessarily. Would you call films like Jurassic WorldIndependence Day: Resurgence, and the remake of Ghostbusters , films made solely for profit with no thought to actual quality, "works of art"? 

Well, frankly yes. The profit motive certainly doesn't make them any less a work of art.  Every film, including every Pixar film, has a profit motive. In fact it's the primary motive.

And no matter how I may feel about the quality of the films you've mentioned, hundreds of talented artists and craftspeople poured their heart and soul into making those movies, so I take exception that the films were made "with no thought to actual quality". That's a pretty unfair, and unkind, assessment. 

So yes, most every film is a work of art. Much of it may be derivative, or not that great...so it goes with all works of art. Whether you like or appreciate the art is of course a matter of personal taste.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I can't say I'm a particularly big Pixar fan.

Most of them are very well done, and beautiful to look at. But they just don't connect with me. I've thought about this, and I think it might be that I'm very much into character driven stories, and I don't find the characters in any of these movies particularly compelling (even if they are charming & funny).  Even the ones I've seen where people assured me I'd love it (like Toy Story), I haven't. I can get through them, but that's about it.  People I know and respect love them, so fair enough.

This is really not a reflection on the films themselves, just my particular tastes. As I said, they're well made films but just not my thing.

Brotha!