Film Confessions

Bilbo

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

You're just catching me on the rebound after your breakup with KK!!

I see how you are.

No! No! I swear, it has nothing to do with that! It's a... hum... pure coincidence that... hum... it happened within the same timeframe as KK's fall from grace.. I... swear...

42 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I haven't been interested in anything Pixar has done in years. But I really liked Wall·e and Finding Nemo back in the day.

The first act of Wall-E was superb. I didn't like what it did after that.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Ive only seen maybe 3 Pixar films. I don't get it at all.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like The Incredibles and love Finding Nemo.

:unsure:

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Have you no heart, Richard? HAVE YOU NO HEART?!?!?

Yes, i have a heart. Some films get me right here (points to heart). TOY STORY 3, however, is not one of those.

As for Pixar, their early stuff, such as TIN TOY, and ANDRÉ AND WALLY B is great. 

At some point, I just couldn't watch cartoons anymore. So when I say that I don't care about the latest Pixar cartoons, it has nothing to do with trying to be cool. I just can't watch them. I liked the Toy Stories just fine when I was a kid.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Aw man you guys are so cool, hatin’ beloved films, I wish I could be as cool as you guys.  So cool.

What happened to your face?

On 06/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, Stefancos said:

Ive only seen maybe 3 Pixar films. I don't get it at all.

On 06/10/2017 at 5:43 PM, Stefancos said:

I like The Incredibles and love Finding Nemo.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

be consistent

I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption and I've avoided it because everyone from critics to your regular mums and dads at the shops rave about it. Is it one of those films designed to make average janes and joes pretend they're intellectuals for three hours?

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption and I've avoided it because everyone from critics to your regular mums and dads at the shops rave about it. Is it one of those films designed to make average janes and joes pretend they're intellectuals for three hours?

Seen it a good couple of times.

Personally, I find that drama works best when it is complemented by grandeur and scale, so naturally I'm not one to rave over it.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

It's a movie about angels so expect to find it in Mr. Disco's top 10 list of best movies of all time. 

I thought The Shawshank Redemption was more of an American thing. Our people seem to idolize criminals and murderers, which is why the Godfather, Scorsese and Brian Depalma movies are so beloved.

There's often been that libertarian-influenced, anti-authority and anti-bureaucracy streak in American cinema. Which perplexes me as to why they're often produced by Hollywood liberals and they're so beloved by film fans who also think the government should control everything.

I have a few from both film and TV:

• Sphere was apparently hated by audiences and critics. I have no idea why - I love it.

• The Hurt Locker12 Years a Slave and Lincoln are amongst the most boring hours of cinema I've ever sat through. I'm sure there's an element of Americans' devotion to 'men in uniform' in there for Locker, but other than that, I can't work out why everyone loves it.

• I *hate* The Wire, and I think David Simon is a pretentious twat. I watched through 3 seasons with my brother and couldn't take any more.

• I'm not sure if this is a confession or not, but I think Tarantino needs an editor who can tell him to cut 1/3 of his film out. I know his status in Hollywood allows him to make pretty much anything, but quite a lot of the time, it's just far too long.

When a critical darling sweeps the oscars, it actively dissuades me from watching it (I don't intend to watch Moonlight). The reason is that I look for balance in reviews and critical opinion, and it becomes difficult to decide whether a film is for you, or is just the politically fashionable thing to be seen to be praising.

And on the subject of that very last point, Citizen Kane is boring. I say that in full knowledge of its revolutionary approach for its time - it's just boring.

Lastly, 'must see' films I've never seen:

Gone With the Wind

Lawrence of Arabia

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

ESB/ROTJ

(I nearly wrote Goodfellas first, but I remembered I have seen it, and it's far too long)

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:
  • Sphere was apparently hated by audiences and critics. I have no idea why - I love it.

I don't really agree with any of your other points, but I second this! Brilliant movie!

I never really liked the movie E.T.

The alien himself is great, the score is one of my favourites ever created, the direction is amazing.

But I hate that friggin' family. The mother is hysterical, the elder son is a goof, Elliott is a squealing and annoying little shit, and Drew was alright I guess. The only one I liked was the dog. The Freeling family in Poltergeist seemed nicer. I think that's the reason I watch that movie way more often than E.T.

I probably saw E.T. many years ago. Just kind of have apathy towards it now.

On 10/8/2017 at 0:03 PM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

My coworker doesn't like it, and I tease him endlessly about this. Usually it's the other way round - he's a holier-than-thou film buff who constantly preaches about arthouse stuff.

I love the film, but I also like comparing Andy's escape to the plot of Skyfall, in terms of how unrealistic Andy's escape plan actually is.

13 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

And on the subject of that very last point, Citizen Kane is boring. I say that in full knowledge of its revolutionary approach for its time - it's just boring.

When I was a teen, I didn't see what the big deal was.

When I was 30, I thought it was a masterpiece.

When I was 50, I could understand why so many people find it boring. I did no longer recognize the movie that I saw when I was 30.

I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it (and I have seen it 2 1/2 times). It's watchable but there's something holding it down. Maybe it's because of the dialogue, I dunno, I never remember.

• I *hate* The Wire, and I think David Simon is a pretentious twat. I watched through 3 seasons with my brother and couldn't take any more.

Strange. Probably the TV series that impressed me the most. It makes Sidney Lumet look like a beginner. When I watched it, I never thought: "Oh, this is so pretentious". Why in heaven's name would you do that? Maybe it's too good? 

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:
  • I'm not sure if this is a confession or not, but I think Tarantino needs an editor who can tell him to cut 1/3 of his film out. I know his status in Hollywood allows him to make pretty much anything, but quite a lot of the time, it's just far too long.

Lastly, 'must see' films I've never seen:

Pulp Fiction

Tarantino's finest edited film by far.

Gone With the Wind

Lawrence of Arabia

(I nearly wrote Goodfellas first, but I remembered I have seen it, and it's far too long)

I haven't seen any of those and I think I'd only be interested in Lawrence of Arabia.

Also someone mentioned something about Citizen Kane. I didn't like it.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:21 PM, Chen G. said:

Oh, lots of people (by which I mean people who view film critically) share that view, myself included. It's visual splendor is beyond belief, but it's so lethargic that I'd watch An Unexpected Journey on loop.

My confession is that I, a man who loves examining films critically, cannot for the life of me watch "art cinema" - a movie based around an allegory or a statement. To me, film is just not the right medium for that kind of intellectual exploration: that's what books are for. Films are about taking themes, basic themes of humanity, and exploring them in a visceral, emotional way. Not about making a cerebral statement.

Because this is my criteria, I judge film by the emotional impact. As such, a lot of famous films mentioned in this thread - Godfather, Citizen Kane, etc - aren't anywhere near what I'd consider "the best films" (which is different to "favorite films") because they're not aiming to evoke a strong emotional response in the viewer to begin with.

I find the description 'art house' as an inherent rejection of everything that makes film fun.

I'm reminded of an instance where Mark Kermode was comparing Room and The Lovely Bones. I seem to be among the few who loved Bones - I haven't read the book, and as a standalone film experience, I found it tremendously effective/affecting.

Kermode was praising Room (and rightly so) but in doing so he was stating that the director's approach to showing their internal worlds was much simpler than Jackson's. I feel that this was a subtle dig at bigger budget movies that use SFX to create their worlds. My issue is that I enjoyed both films equally and didn't feel that Room's portrayal was any more effective than Bones'.

I think this is partly why I hate The Wire. Simon rejected some traditional aspects of filmmaking - there's no score and no attempt to assist viewers who don't understand the cultural aspects as well (pretty blatant actually - he criticized those watching it with subtitles which I do). It feels like Simon is implying that his writing and the quality of the performances are so good that he doesn't need any of that. That's what I find pretentious.

Can't say I'm much of a fan of The Wire.

Granted, I only watched half a season, and only checked it out b/c of the hype, but I wasn't blown away. I suppose it was well made, but just not my thing. I never really could get into The Sopranos either and that's supposed to be the most bestest show ever.