Best Indiana Jones CDs to get?

Orgasm[+]Donor.

You need to buy these 2 separate things:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000001AE/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G562ZU

Or, just wait for eventual re-dos that hopefully will come out sometime in the next few years maybe

I have both for Raiders, and we need both, especially because the Concord release has the Album version of Desert Chase, and the other release contains the full cue. Grrrr.

For the other scores, the Concord sets are basically it for what is currently out there.

When/if a complete version of these scores are released, it will be a dream for sure. These scores deserve the same treatment that E.T. received.

I disagree that the DCC Raiders is required especially for Desert Chase missing short segment. You need it because it's the film mix and was put together by people that knew the music. The more recent 2008 reissue was slapped together with entirely questionable sound.

The Concord did not have bad sound at all. It was brighter, yes. But not "bad" by any stretch.

Now there clearly are issues with it, including:

- Tapes played back at wrong speed.

- Missing revised overlays in several cues for some scores.

- Album edit of Desert Chase instead of full cue (as mentioned).

- Incomplete presentations of the scores represented.

But again, the sound quality was not bad, IMHO.

Pretty much all that came from analog tapes is at wrong speed, I don't know any software that adjust automatically the speed of analog tapes.  This must be done pretty much by ear.

So it's perfectly forgivable... and with this set, we talk about differences of what, pretty much always less than a semi tone. It's nothing.

Guys like our grand fathers who listened to LPs all their life, rarely heared music at the right speed (well, at least if they were musicians or have a perfect pitch)!  The search for the right pitch is a very modern consideration regarding the recorded musical industry.

I never said it was bad. It's the album mix, but too bright and loud. The speed issues are noticeable and I never notice when this issue is brought up with other releases. The Map Room sounds wrong.

The Concord Raiders sounds too hot for my liking. I've never touched it since first hearing it. TOD fares much better, but the OST still beats it in sound quality. LC sounds about the same.

I have:

- The OSTs

- The DCC Raiders

- The Concord set

Unless you hate OSTs, as many seem to enjoy vilifying just because they're missing some unimportant and incidental tracks, then there is no real "definitive" release of these scores.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@phbartNobody recommend LPs here, get a life! New users will think we are old geezers!

You can't appreciate the full pleasure of Raiders without the "Marion into the Pit" cue. Without it, Raiders music is pretty much worthless. Every JWFan noob should know that.

Yes! Those extra opening bars that aren't on the LD iso score, that's what made buy this. Was it Spielberg idea to cut those from the film? That's why he lost the oscar to Richard Attenborough.

You can hear some things in the Concord version of Raiders that are totally absent in the DCC release. For example, in The Map Room: Dawn, at the 3:22 mark, you can hear choir doubling the main phrase that is almost completely silent in the DCC version

I'm not saying it applies to all tracks, but with Map Room: Dawn I'd always chose the version in which you can actually hear the most what's going on

Romão, those details you mentioned about "Map Room: Dawn" are on the OST as well. In fact, I think Concord just took the album master for those cues and... well, did what they did. Raiders is one VERY RARE case where I prefer the John Neal remix (who probably learned his lesson from what he did to SW and ESB OST) over the original Eric Tomlinson film mix. Not that the DCC sounds bad. Far from it! But if the DCC sounded like the OST did, we would be in for a treat.

Also, check out "Flight from Peru" from the OST and compare it to the DCC. Much better in the OST, IMHO.

I would not buy the meanwhile very expensive Concord box. I would rather buy the four CDs seperately, since you can get them for a reasonable price. I myself do not have the box set and I do not bother buying it, as I can wait for a definite release. Additionally I have 10 more tracks to look forward to, when the complete scores are released.

Ah, I see the box seems to be out of print now? For being a "limited edition", it was available for a very long time. We can only assume it sold poorly and there's little chance of getting complete versions, right @king mark?

On 06/10/2017 at 11:48 PM, phbart said:

You guys are forgeting to recomend the DCC 2LP to Orgasm+donor... if his wealthy enough, that is.

And WTF kind of nick is that? :blink:

You're right; the DCC LPs do sound lovely.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Nobody wants a proper release of the Indy scores! We want a Home Alone 3 disc set!

Why on earth would you want Home Alone 3? :blink:

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Why on earth would you want Home Alone 3? :blink:

He's joking. Because, you know, Home Alone has been released so many times in recent history and so thoroughly.

Mark my words, LLL will re-re-re-release Home Alone yet again, this time transfered from even better sources, and certain forum members will insist that this is the version you need if you seriously consider yourself a true and committed John Williams psycho fanatic.

The next Home Alone release will be sourced from the leaked FM signal of the microphones to the recording machines on the recording studio that are now light-years traveling away in space and was captured by aliens in 384kHz 32bit ultra high resolution and sent to MM via encoded message. And he just finished decoding it.

And welcome to JWFan, @Orgasm[+]Donor. :)

These are my recommendations in general (not necessarily adhering to the original criteria).

If you just need ONE Indy score in your collection, go for the original MCA release of LAST CRUSADE. Insanely entertaining, with one setpiece after the other. It's the Indy equivalent to PRISONER OF AZKABAN.

But if you want all three, I recommend the DCC for RAIDERS, the original Polydor for TEMPLE OF DOOM (if you can find it!) and, as I said, the MCA for LAST CRUSADE.

Or, if expansions is your thing -- the Indiana Jones sountrack box, as previously suggested.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

If you just need ONE Indy score in your collection, go for the original MCA release of LAST CRUSADE.

Don't you mean the Warner release?

I wish we could have a version of Last Crusade that doesn't sound like shite.

How the hell did we go from the recording bliss of Temple of Doom to that?

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Agreed. I wondered about that in 1989, but...

(sorry, messed up there)

On 06/10/2017 at 11:35 PM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

LC sounds like other Williams recordings in that era.

Wow I never thought TLC sounded bad at all, apart from it sounding like they used a smaller orchestra than the first two scores, but that has nothing to do with recording quality.

What is wrong with the sound quality to you crumbs?