Which are your Top 5 Superhero films and scores?

Josh500

Captain America: Winter Soldier

The Avengers

The Dark Knight Rises

Logan

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Just kidding!

Batman (1989)
Batman Returns

The Rocketeer

Superman: The Movie

Spider-Man 2

39 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Captain America: Winter Soldier

The Avengers

The Dark Knight Rises

Logan

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Good one! 😂 

42 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Scores

The Rocketeer

Spider-Man 1 & 2

The Amazing Spider-Man

Superman

X-Men the Last Stand

Why do you treat Spiderman 1&2 as one? 

You do realise these are 2 separate scores...? 

I'd say:

Film:

1. Superman

2. Batman

3. The Dark Knight 

4. Spider-Man 

5. Batman Returns 

Score:

1. Superman 

2. Batman 

3. Rocketeer 

4. ? 

5. ? 

35 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Why do you treat Spiderman 1&2 as one? 

I see Spider-Man 2 as a companion score to the first.  Sort of like a Spider-Man: Volume 2. Thery're also more less equal in my eyes so you could also consider a tie

Films (only including one from each series this time).
The Dark Knight

The Incredibles 

Logan and X-Men: Days of Future Past, since Logan technically could not be considered an actual superhero film in the traditional "lets save the world" sense. 

Spider-Man 2
The Avengers 

Scores:

Superman

Batman: Mask of The Phantasm 

Batman / Batman Returns

The Incredibles 

The Shadow 

With plenty of honorable mentions. 

I'm listening to Batman (1989) right now.

I've always thought the main theme was a bit too simplistic, but it's really not. Very atmospheric and dark, and so much going on... It's grown on me a lot recently. 

58 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'm listening to Batman (1989) right now.

I've always thought the main theme was a bit too simplistic, but it's really not. Very atmospheric and dark, and so much going on... It's grown on me a lot recently. 

It's a very palatable theme too, which is what I've always liked about it. Elfman does some terrific variations of it in Batman and Batman Returns. 

I was wondering what the hell is Shadow... And then I realized it's the Jerry Goldsmith score I bought myself a few weeks ago. I haven't listened to it yet! I will do so now! 😂 

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You do realize these are two separate scores?

I like them almost both equally, so I put them together. Think it of as sorta being like a tie.

My most revered films are, for the most part, grandiose action dramas. The penultimate superhero films in that category are Nolan's Batman films. They are the only superhero movies (pre Logan) that are serious enough that I can be emotionally involved.

As to which of them I find the best, that's harder to answer. The Dark Knight is the most well-made film of the three, but I feel like it has less heart than the other two, which are more about Bruce Wayne than about Batman. For one thing, The Dark Knight under-utilizes Alfred, one of the few male characters allowed to express emotion openly in these films, because he is framed as Bruce's father figure. 

Besides those, I really love the Avengers, when framed as an action comedy. I don't care as much for the classics of the genre: Superman (which is my favorite superhero score) has so much silliness that I can't take it seriously, while on the other hand I can't take it as a comedy unless it's in a meta kind of way of laughing at the decisions of the filmmaker.

I'd venture to say that Burton's Batman movies are superior to Nolan's Batman is every way, movie and score.

That said, both sets of movies are fantastic, of course, I'm not saying Nolan's trilogy is terrible.

I really have very limited interest in superhero films, but now and then, there's a good score to come from them. Some of my favourites include SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER, BATMAN & ROBIN, JUDGE DREDD, THE PHANTOM, MAN OF STEEL, THE ROCKETEER, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Kidding with that last one, but oftentimes, it is fruitful to make a distinction between 'superhero' and 'hero' movies. The line can be quite fussy at times.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I'd venture to say that Burton's Batman movies are superior to Nolan's Batman is every way, movie and score.

Score - probably. I think the Zimmer scores suit the Nolan films well, but I can never see myself sitting at a long concert of those - it can't stand on its own.

As for the films: to me, the more serious it is in tone, the more the audience can be emotionally involved (beyond just enjoying the action or the characters). That's the meaning of an action drama, as opposed to a plain action film.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

I really have very limited interest in superhero films, but now and then, there's a good score to come from them. Some of my favourites include SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER, BATMAN & ROBIN, JUDGE DREDD, THE PHANTOM, MAN OF STEEL, THE ROCKETEER, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

lol what?

I'm not a huge fan of the genre (but somehow I end up seeing most of these movies), but pressed these would be my favourites...(in no particular order):

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight Rises

Superman

Guardians Vol. I

X-Men

Just now, BloodBoal said:

lol what?

Don't worry about it BB, it's Thor.

Just now, Thor said:

As I said, it was a joke.

You added that last sentence afterwards, didn't you?

Just now, Thor said:

But hey -- Jesus is the biggest friggin' superhero of them all! :)

Depends on your religion. ;)

Films

1. Spider-Man 2

2. The Incredibles

3. Superman 

4. Iron Man / Spider-Man / X-Men 3: The Last Stand

5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Scores

1. The Incredibles

2. Superman

3. Spider-Man 2

4. X-Men 3: The Last Stand

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming (:P)

Fuck the Avengers and their scores!

As much of a fan of Batman I am, I can't say I know any of the films or scores well enough, so I shall endeavor to rewatch them and listen to their scores again!

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Batman Returns

Batman

Unbreakable

These are scores. Boring, I know.

Films:

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America: Civil War

Karol

2 hours ago, Thor said:

As I said, it was a joke. But hey -- Jesus is the biggest friggin' superhero of them all! :)

What about The Terminator? He was a hero! Saved the world from the apocalypse. 

But The Terminator isn't probably classified as a superhero movie!

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Score - probably. I think the Zimmer scores suit the Nolan films well, but I can never see myself sitting at a long concert of those - it can't stand on its own.

As for the films: to me, the more serious it is in tone, the more the audience can be emotionally involved (beyond just enjoying the action or the characters). That's the meaning of an action drama, as opposed to a plain action film.

I don't know, I always thought the Nolan movies are slightly overrated. Again, these are top quality movies, but still... Not the classics as the Burton movies.

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Film - SUPERMAN

Score  - SUPERMAN

There is nothing else.

If I wrote that, you would have said "For every Superman there is a Batman".

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Kidding with that last one, but oftentimes, it is fruitful to make a distinction between 'superhero' and 'hero' movies. The line can be quite fussy at times.

I thought you were kidding with practically all of them!

Alex's List Supreme:

Hulk

Watchmen

Unbreakable

Winter Soldier

Hellboy

X-Men

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.1

Superman The Movie (the first hour is a thing of beauty)

That's right, I'm entitled to list more movies because I'm omitting the scores.

Alex

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think the opposite, the more seriously you play a superhero film, the more preposterous it is. At the end of the day, it is a god-damned adult grown man dressing up as a bat and sneaking around. There are limits to how seriously I can take that. 

To me the greatest superhero film is The Incredibles. It is whip smart, light on its feet, and as many one-liners and quips fly through the air as bullets. The action is great, the character work achieves depth and dimension and the whole thing is grandly entertaining.

For Nolan's Batman films, TDK is good the other two are kinda rubbish. And the less said about the "scores" the better.

47 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think the opposite, the more seriously you play a superhero film, the more preposterous it is. At the end of the day, it is a god-damned adult grown man dressing up as a bat and sneaking around. There are limits to how seriously I can take that. 

"It doesn't matter what the film is about, it's how it is about it" - Roger Ebert.

We have serious films about space samurai-wizards, and about hairy-footed little people. Surely we can have serious superhero films. If anything, the modern setting of most superhero films makes it easier to make them serious. But than again, there's always something like Man of Steel...

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I don't know, I always thought the Nolan movies are slightly overrated. Again, these are top quality movies, but still...

They most certainly are. 

Especially The Dark Knight which is credited as being a virtually perfect film, where its far from it.

They're still preety damn brilliant.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought you were kidding with practically all of them!

Really? You don't like any of those scores?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

"It doesn't matter what the film is about, it's how it is about it" - Roger Ebert.

We have serious films about space samurai-wizards, and about hairy-footed little people. Surely we can have serious superhero films. If anything, the modern setting of most superhero films makes it easier to make them serious. But than again, there's always something like Man of Steel...

They most certainly are. 

Especially The Dark Knight which is credited as being a virtually perfect film, where its far from it.

They're still preety damn brilliant.

I inherently reject the notion that serious = better quality. That's just fake news (to me).

I think quality is first and foremost defined by the intelligence of the film-making and its conception.

The horrible seriousness bug has afflicted Hollywood long enough with their morbid joyless blockbusters wallowing in self-seriousness as if they are presenting a grand treatise on the human condition. I am not leery of the possibility of some profoundity in these kind of films just at the blanket reappropiatiation of seriousness as a cloak for artistic legitimacy.

It's almost as if directors and even audiences can't really make something or endorse something if it isn't SERIOUS. What about the great film-makers of yesteryear and the audiences which loved these blockbusters. ET is a joyous film not dour and ends up saying more about humanity than any modern blockbuster ever could.

I just think modern superhero movies need a little self-awareness and the courage to cut it's heroes to size and make them seem ridiculous too because human beings are ridiculous. 

Nolan's Batman films are just anathema to what I wrote above (which is of course just one person's opinion). His films to me are much sillier than Marvel films for that reason.

I loved Batman Begins, but I've always thought TDK was way overrated. The hype machine on this movie was already in full overdrive by the time I saw it, but the entire experience to me was underwhelming. It wasn't a bad film, it's actually OK. But nowhere near the staggeringly perfect work of genius it was billed as.

On the other hand, I quite liked TDKR, which had more lukewarm reviews from critics and fans, so I'm definitely out of step on the critical consensus of these films.

31 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I inherently reject the notion that serious = better quality. That's just fake news (to me).

I think quality is first and foremost defined by the intelligence of the film-making and its conception.

The horrible seriousness bug has afflicted Hollywood long enough with their morbid joyless blockbusters wallowing in self-seriousness as if they are presenting a grand treatise on the human condition. I am not leery of the possibility of some profoundity in these kind of films just at the blanket reappropiatiation of seriousness as a cloak for artistic legitimacy.

It's almost as if directors and even audiences can't really make something or endorse something if it isn't SERIOUS. What about the great film-makers of yesteryear and the audiences which loved these blockbusters. ET is a joyous film not dour and ends up saying more about humanity than any modern blockbuster ever could.

I just think modern superhero movies need a little self-awareness and the courage to cut it's heroes to size and make them seem ridiculous too because human beings are ridiculous. 

Nolan's Batman films are just anathema to what I wrote above (which is of course just one person's opinion). His films to me are much sillier than Marvel films for that reason.

I should make my point a little more articulate: The more sincerely serious the film is - the better it is, to me.

Now, yes, because "serious" is the new currency of Hollywood blockbusters (although you're seeing a big kickback to that with the likes of the Marvel films) a film can be made to be artificially serious (see: Man of Steel), which is awful because it comes off as making fun of the notion that genre films can be serious. It couldn't have been put more eloquently than by Ben DeLoose: "And than you've got other action films[...]that are completly superficial in the way that they're 'serious.'"

When the film is serious, and sincerely so, it puts the audience in a more emotionally involved state. In other words, it elevates the film from just an "action" film, to an "action drama". 

Now, I can like a "fun" movie, either as the occasional "palette cleanser" or when its fun to the point that I can frame it as an action comedy, a-la most of the big Marvel releases. If its doing neither this nor that, I ain't going. It just isn't for me, as an adult.

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I should make my point a little more articulate: The more sincerely serious the film is - the better it is, to me.

The word you're looking for is earnest.

And a film doesn't have to be serious in nature to be earnest, but in general it should be devoid of irony.

Ah, yes.

Well, In Hebrew its the same word for both meanings....

And yes, all films, regardless of tone, need to be earnest. 

46 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I loved Batman Begins, but I've always thought TDK was way overrated. The hype machine on this movie was already in full overdrive by the time I saw it, but the entire experience to me was underwhelming. It wasn't a bad film, it's actually OK. But nowhere near the staggeringly perfect work of genius it was billed as.

On the other hand, I quite liked TDKR, which had more lukewarm reviews from critics and fans, so I'm definitely out of step on the critical consensus of these films.

I get it. Like I said, I do see flaws in The Dark Knight, and I have a stronger emotional reaction to the other two. The parts that resonate with me emotionally, which often involve either Bruce, Alfred or both of them, are framed in the Dark Knight like transitions into and out of scenes involving the Joker.

What The Dark Knight did incredibly well for me was generate suspense. It didn't touch me in the way that the other two did.