THE LAST JEDI Trailer 2 MUSIC discussion

Jay

Yeah continues the tradition of SW trailer music being a cut above the rest (in no small part, of course, due to JW's themes). Great stuff. 

I thought it sounded meh IMHO, the themes didn't seem "variated" enough to fit the trailer music style of the surrounding stuff.

For @Cerebral Cortex and anyone else who's avoiding trailers, here's a (low-quality) isolated music track I found:

https://youtu.be/vVwIjwcJXFk

EDIT: Just after I posted this, the link was taken down. 

11 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I liked the previous trailer's music better.  It was "nerdier," if that makes sense, incorporating not just the main line of Rey's theme but some of the minor motifs as well.  Actually, in one statement of Kylo Ren's theme (over some ship destruction in the second half, I believe) I even thought I heard an incorrect note.  As Will stated, though, it's miles ahead of other franchises' trailer music.  And it is a strong testament to the continued influence of Williams' music (even his newest music) that we have character-appropriate leitmotivic music being custom-written for a commercial.

Yeah, I actually was not even sure if that was intended to be a variation of his theme. It's definitely a little different. But I liked it, in any case. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

For @Cerebral Cortex and anyone else who's avoiding trailers, here's a (low-quality) isolated music track I found:

https://youtu.be/vVwIjwcJXFk

EDIT: Just after I posted this, the link was taken down. 

Even if it was already taken down when I got here, I really appreciate you sending that our way nonetheless. Thanks for thinking of me, Will. :)

Is it probable that this trailer music is informed by the score proper? Han Solo and the Princess featured prominently in the TFA marketing and Williams used it in the TFA score. 

Surely if Jedi Steps, Rey's Theme and Ren's motif were getting jettisoned, they wouldn't feature in the marketing for TLJ?

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is it probable that this trailer music is informed by the score proper? Han Solo and the Princess featured prominently in the TFA marketing and Williams used it in the TFA score. 

Surely if Jedi Steps, Rey's Theme and Ren's motif were getting jettisoned, they wouldn't feature in the marketing for TLJ?

Not necessarily. Han Solo and the Princess was well established for over 30 years by the time TFA's marketing started. I doubt the trailer companies get access to the score itself.

By the way, how do we know this trailer music was adapted by some other composer? 

Anyway, it sounds great! Here's to hoping Jedi Steps gets a full four-minute ultimate concert version treatment! 

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, it's clearly not Williams, that's for sure.

So this isn't officially confirmed information, but just our assumption based on what we hear.

21 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

By the way, how do we know this trailer music was adapted by some other composer? 

Anyway, it sounds great! Here's to hoping Jedi Steps gets a full four-minute ultimate concert version treatment! 

They may have simply reorchestrated it by someone else, or possibly added it in the editing room. It definitely doesn't feel like Williams, even though the actual music is decent. 

59 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

They may have simply reorchestrated it by someone else, or possibly added it in the editing room. It definitely doesn't feel like Williams, even though the actual music is decent. 

It doesn't really sound like JW, sure. But that doesn't mean it's not JW. Point is, we don't know.

This is a new director, so maybe he wanted a different sound or whatever. 

And anyway, why would they use "inferior" music adapted by someone else when the score has already been recorded!?

26 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So the themes showcased are Jedi Steps, Kylo Ren, Rey and of course Force.

I always thought of Jedi Steps as a trailer theme - it is just extremely dramatic sounding and very memorable. I infact predicted that they would surely use it in a trailer for VIII. Rey's Theme I also hope is now sticking with the audience because I can imagine it getting a lot of play in the film. Kyle's motif is distinctive enough and while might earn the noriety of Vader's March it can still be a good signifier of evil for audiences.

I have a feeling Jedi Steps might be Luke's new theme in the Messiah mode or something. It seems to link somehow with Luke.

It's a credit to Williams that THREE themes from his previous score are being used in trailers for the next one. Can't think of any other films which did that. Did even LOTR trailers use multiple themes from previous films? Will have to go and check.

ROTK and AUJ. (TTT used edited music)

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

It doesn't really sound like JW, sure. But that doesn't mean it's not JW. Point is, we don't know.

This is a new director, so maybe he wanted a different sound or whatever. 

And anyway, why would they use "inferior" music adapted by someone else when the score has already been recorded!?

Even with it being off, it doesn't sound exactly like Williams either. 

As for the "inferior music", I was more assuming it was just there for trailer purposes, and perhaps they didn't think would be fair to use Williams new music for the film in the trailer, and just decided to randomly place The Jedi Steps and Kylo Ren instead or something. It worked well in the trailer at least.  

32 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It is so obviously by Williams. Though again, it is so obviously not necessarily by him.

I'm part of those who strongly believe that it is at the very least by someone.

The music was composed by a droid actually. 

If it isn't Williams (and sure doesn't sound like him), it really isn't indicative of what will be in the film. I doubt he'll make a theme out of it. Just a single musical moment.