Digital vs CD

cmh90790

Digital vs CD  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your music in a digital form or on physical CD?

I always buy CDs whenever possible, but then always just rip them and listen to files made from them every time (or just stream from Spotify even if I own the CD)

Although lately I've been doing a thing where I'm listening to every one of the CDs in my film score collection in the car on the ride to and from work.  It's actually nice to physically play them all, gives me an excuse to flip through each booklet too

I'll always take the physical CD over digital.  With digital the file can become corrupt and you'll have to redownload or buy it again.  Also if you have a hard drive failure you have to do that with digital.

At least with CDs if you have a hard drive failure you can easily re-rip what you have once you fix the hard drive issue (or buy a new one).

I'm sure most here will say they prefer physical CDs.

Digital purchases are still weird to me (I only got accustomed to buying games), I like to have something physical when buying things. That way I have something nice to look at, and I can limit myself by stopping and thinking "Do I want to bother with the delivery? Will I use it enough? Do I have place on my shelf? Do I really want it at all?" which stops my money from disappearing. Music I mostly listen to on my phone, but I would mostly only pay for scores in complete form, which usually is only available physically, if even. When I buy another (OST) edition, it is always physical because it must be a special score and presentation and I think of it as a novelty that is an event to listen to. Also have multiple Beatles CDs.

Also I refuse to cooperate in the Devil's work that is iTunes.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

I always buy CDs whenever possible, but then always just rip them and listen to files made from them every time (or just stream from Spotify even if I own the CD)

Defeats the purpose of having the CD, doesn't it? It's like buying a case of good beer and leaving it on the shelf while you drink cheaper swill.

I always buy CDs. Briefly considered going digital with Amazon, but they claimed they would put data in the files that would help them suggest 'songs' I might like, so that didn't happen because it sounded an awful lot as if they would be able to look in my personal music folder. Having said that, I hardly touch CDs and prefer listening to personal rips.

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Defeats the purpose of having the CD, doesn't it? It's like buying a case of good beer and leaving it on the shelf while you drink cheaper swill.

I don't see how.  I rip the CDs to lossless FLAC, which my computer, phone, and plex play just fine.

The point of ripping CDs and putting them back on the shelf after is to keep your CDs pretty much pristine.

When I was a lot younger and living in Vegas I didn't take care of my CDs and the ones I had practically were destroyed. I have learned my lesson from that. It's always best to keep the CDs on the shelves after they are ripped. Then if you need to rerip them again you can and you won't take the chance of having them scratched or whatever.

CDs.  I love physical media.  If I'm going to buy something I want something to show for it.  As other have already pointed out, I then have the ability to rip the CD to my devices.

I’m transitioning towards digital only. Only buy CDs from the speciality labels and occasionally for current scores, depending on the artist.

For example, Max Richter has three scores releasing this Friday. I pre-ordered the CDs on Amazon, realized my mistake, checked iTunes to find they had all been released digitally months ago, were cheaper, and had bonus tracks. Cancelled the order in a heartbeat. 

CD's. I have noticed some degradation in my older cd's. Those from 85 to 95.

I worry about my older CDs having issues to.  I have no idea how to protect them from that happening, if its even possible

Its definitely not wear and tear. Its like pin holes appearing.  Yet they sound fine.

My oldest is Tears for Fears, Star Wars and CE3K from 85.

Mine play perfectly as well. The only issues I've had are discs being scratched due to improper storage. Of course, they're mostly easily replaceable because the most abused are very common CDs for beloved popular scores and, like the US Government with the Ark, people don't what they've got there. They're practically giving away replacements. Send your old OSTs to me!

I have found 2 blu ray discs recently that my BD player won't play.  One was the bonus disc for CE3K (I really wanted to see the deleted scenes!) and one was Brian De Palma's Passion.  I have no idea if the problem is with my player (its an LG player from 2009), or I coincidentally recently discovered two discs that were defective.

Digital. Much more convenient to simply click on a file and listen to it, rather than having to find the CD you want, then opening the CD drive, inserting the disk, closing the drive, waiting for the computer to recognize it......etc.

That said, one of my dreams is to have my own listening room with a reclining chair and footstool in the middle, a 7.1 surround hi-fi system, and multiple shelves stacked full of CDs and vinyls. Having a physical music collection certainly beats having your music "floating" on a memory drive. 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have found 2 blu ray discs recently that my BD player won't play.  One was the bonus disc for CE3K (I really wanted to see the deleted scenes!) and one was Brian De Palma's Passion.  I have no idea if the problem is with my player (its an LG player from 2009), or I coincidentally recently discovered two discs that were defective.

Might be your player. I had a Sharp blu-ray playe from 2009 that started being temperamental about certain discs that would play fine in my PS3 or my other Laser brand player.

Yea, I figure it probably is; It puts me in a sticky situation because while I could go out and buy a new BD player, if I'm going to be getting a 4K tv soon, I might as well get a 4K UHD BD player, but those cost more, blah blah

I keep buying CDs but I prefer digital. It's easier to hide digital files than to keep boxes of CDs in the closet in my apartment and at my parents' house so my family doesn't see the true vastness of my obsessive collection. But it's easier to buy than to figure out how to downsize economically. 

I like listening to digital files, but I hate buying digital files (and have actually never done so once).  I will always prefer to buy a physical CD product and make my own files from that.  It is a nice trend that many scores are now available to buy in lossless, which is something I'd consider doing for a score that won't come to CD for sure. I just hate the idea of ponying up for lossy compressed files that wouldn't sound as good as files I can make from a pressed CD.

Anyways, it is frankly annoying that I still can't legally pay for Cloverfield with this policy o mine, but what can you do.

CDs are a nice collectible item, a memento from the film. This collectability factor is the only reason I see the resurrection of Vinyl being a thing these days. 

I can't choose either option, I buy physical where I can, but there are some scores that aren't available in physical form or were never released to begin with, or some scores that I don't want to purchase physically.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I hate buying digital files (and have actually never done so once).

I don't know what's sadder. The fact you're so sure of this fact, or that you're so proud of it. 

I can't keep track of all the sites I've bought digital music from. Wolfgang's/ConcertVault, Amazon, iTunes, GOG, some site where I bought the soundtracks to Oblivion and Morrowind, Bruce Springsteen's website, and probably some more. 

I don't really understand what you mean. All the music I listen to is available on CD. Cloverfield is the only thing I can think of that was sold digitally-only that I really wanted. I pay for Spotify, Google Play, Amazon Prime, and Sirius XM so listen to digital music daily, I've just never really had a need or want to buy individual music files except for Cloverfield like I said.

Oh I just thought of another one, Living In The Age of Airplanes by James Horner. I have been holding on hope LLL or someone else would release that on disc, bit it's been long enough now it probably ain't happening. Maybe I'll pop my cherry on that! Hmm, I wonder if it's sold in lossless anywhere...

I think there's a sense of ownership that comes with purchasing a CD, something that is tactile. I might be able to sympathize with Jay's refusal to buy digital in the way that there isn't the same sense of ownership and care/craft that has gone into producing a CD. 

Edit: nvm

If I was deep into different genres of music or live concert recordings I could see buying digital but all the film music I ever wanted was either sold on CD or not sold at all (ie session leaks) that I can recall. Other than Cloverfield and Living In The Age of Airplanes what scores were only released digitally that are actually good, and aren't streaming on Spotify?  Even Up and Grand Piano got CDs eventually.  Captain Underpants, Favor, and Laurent Perez Del Mar scores are on Spotify, etc.

Yes ditto for Toy Story 3, The Avengers, Oz Great and Powerful, Captain America 2, Thor 2, The Lone Ranger, A Christmas Carol, etc.

Intrada's announced their Disney line with great fanfare, but other than the Black Hole, The Black Cauldron, and the Tinker Bell scores,  it was mostly just digital download reissues on CD.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I did not say that. It's on YouTube and I have faith it will be available on CD some day on some compilation CD.

Also, I'd buy Cloverfield digitally if it was sold in lossless somewhere, but Apple only sells it as 224kbs m4a, and last I checked wanted $9.99 for it (it's one single track)

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Please don't put words in my mouth, I did not say that. And I have faith it will be available on CD some day in some compilation CD.

Hahaha I hit a fucking nerve. It's cut and dry. You're pregnant or you're not. You either downloaded the song illegally or you bought the digital file because you can't buy it on CD, and since mister moderator never buys digital files, YOU PIRATED THE FUCKING FILE. OH MY FUCKING GOD. YOU PIRATE. ONE SONG. EMBRACE IT. It's not words in your mouth, it's logic. 

The moderator is afraid of the labels taking his credit away in the stupid ET book or pressing charges if they find out he pirated the one song they wouldn't let him buy on CD because his personal ethics are so goddamn high. 

Not that Cloverfield is worth owning anyways. 

Jay, serious question here. When Dimitri Tiomkin wrote The High and the Mighty, did you think he was writing about you? 

Wow, Wojo, why are you once again attacking me when I have not insulted you or said anything about you or anything you've done... This is like the third time this year you've done this and I've been so nice to you over all the years. I don't understand you at all :(

I have zero problems with Rich and have enjoyed his posts and online presence for a decade. But every once and a while he posts very angry rants directed at me and I honestly have no clue what I ever did to deserve them or why I'm the only one that receives them *shrug* .  I have never insulted the man that I am aware of and truly like the guy. I don't get it.

This has nothing to do with me. This is the last time I'm going to sit by and say nothing when you say "please don't put words in my mouth" when someone says the truth, but you're too righteous to admit it. You earned this. Every word.

*mic drop*

No, because you didn't say the truth.  You said that the reason I did not buy it was spite, which is nowhere close to anything I said, and it seems you missed what I DID say: 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It's on YouTube and I have faith it will be available on CD some day on some compilation CD.

Also, I'd buy Cloverfield digitally if it was sold in lossless somewhere, but Apple only sells it as 224kbs m4a, and last I checked wanted $9.99 for it (it's one single track)

And it was you who brought up some very outside and irrelevant things like ET booklets and the fact I'm a mod, when the only thing happening in the thread before then was a pleasant talk about CDs vs downloads.  I have said nothing bad about you in this thread whatsoever and don't know why you continue to get so antagonistic towards me every so often. I don't feel I have done anything to deserve it. 

I'm sorry something about me gets you so worked up, but maybe it'd be best if you took a breath and walked away from the keyboard for a bit before attacking me next time. Unless I insult you first, then feel free to defend yourself, but I can't think of any reason why I would ever insult you. I have nothing against you.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I saw the faceless avatar making posts and thought @Disco Stu had returned. :(

@Disco Stu buys both CDs and digital downloads!

And when he returns, I'm sure he'll pick a nice avatar.