Digital vs CD

cmh90790

Digital vs CD  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your music in a digital form or on physical CD?

I only buy digital if it's the only way to buy something. Buying mp3s is an absolute last resort (flac preferred).

Once a CD is purchased and archived (flac copy) on my computer, I'll probably only ever open the CD again if there's something wrong with the archive (has happened once or twice).

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I only buy digital if it's the only way to buy something. Buying mp3s is an absolute last resort (flac preferred).

Once a CD is purchased and archived (flac copy) on my computer, I'll probably only ever open the CD again if there's something wrong with the archive (has happened once or twice).

Your second statement is the best argument I ever heard for digital. Those CDs just sit there wasting space while all your listening is done from digital files.

Well in my case, when I was growing up and just getting into film music (and regular music), there was no download option.  So by the time digital sales surpassed CD sales in the 00s, I already had literally hundreds (actually over 1,000) physical CDs.  I'm not gonna sell all those off and keep rips of them all, I'm gonna keep building my collection in the format it started.  Combined with the fact that all the catalog releases of my favorite film scores of all time come out only on CDs (for the most part), it makes it a no brainer.

I definitely prefer listening to digital files in almost every instance; I listen to a lot of music via my phone or old-phone-that-is-now-basically-a-wi-fi-enabled-portable-music-player, at work and in the car.  At home, I have lossless rips of my CDs on a server that is always running that can stream the music via Plex to the Amazon Fire box in my living room hooked up to my nice AV receiver with nice speakers.

Sometimes though it is nice to pop an actual CD into the blu ray player in my living room and play it through my living room system that way, or take the CD into my car and listen to the actual CD on the way to work.  But audibly, there's no difference between it and a flac file of it on my phone going into the aux jack.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

I have found 2 blu ray discs recently that my BD player won't play.  One was the bonus disc for CE3K (I really wanted to see the deleted scenes!) and one was Brian De Palma's Passion.  I have no idea if the problem is with my player (its an LG player from 2009), or I coincidentally recently discovered two discs that were defective.

Do you have up to date firmware? I once had a disc or two (2D/3D hybrids) that would play fine for about half an hour, then begin to stutter increasingly until giving up completely. A firmware upgrade instantly solved this.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Other than Cloverfield and Living In The Age of Airplanes what scores were only released digitally that are actually good, and aren't streaming on Spotify?

Grim Fandango, unless you count the original album from before the remake, without the orchestral recordings. Don't know if it might be on Spotify, but I think the expanded version was an exclusive.

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Do you have up to date firmware? I once had a disc or two (2D/3D hybrids) that would play fine for about half an hour, then begin to stutter increasingly until giving up completely. A firmware upgrade instantly solved this.

Oh hey, that's a great tip!

The player has wifi built in, I should type in our network's password and tell it to look for a firmware update.  Thanks buddy!

Grim Fandango, unless you count the original album from before the remake, without the orchestral recordings. Don't know if it might be on Spotify, but I think the expanded version was an exclusive.

Ooh yeah that's a good one too, I frgot about that one. I would kill for that to come out on CD!

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Good call. :up: