Amazing Stories, 10 new episodes coming!!

Snowster

The original series had some decent episodes, but it wasn’t what I expected as a little kid. 

The Family Dog episode would probably be the best of the batch for me, although I wouldn’t call it an “Amazing Story”.

The music for most of the shows far surpassed the episodes they were composed for.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, Stefancos said:

They should have a separate awards ceremony for streaming shows and movies, since it is after all a different outlet. Oscars, Emmy's and....Streamy's?

3 minutes ago, dougie said:

How about a new award show called the "Streamies"?

I beat you to it!

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I beat you to it!

Hey have you ever thought up a cool phrase, only to Google it and check if it's been used before and yep, some other internet clown has already coined it?

21 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No, but I sometimes write complete gibberish only to discover that the same non-existing word already exists on the internet.

Reminds me of how the kids as school used to say "anti-semantic" when they really meant "anti-Semitic".

• 2 weeks later...

It's no surprise all the old weekly anthology shows are coming back after all the recent success of seasonal anthology shows and Black Mirror

I'm very much on board.  I love anthology episode series.  The new Twilight Zone is not good (I've only seen the comedian episode and it was completely worthless).  I have high hopes for Amazing Stories, though.

I mean, I won't subscribe to Apple's service for it or anything.  Too many streaming services!  You gotta make hard entertainment decisions when you have three kids in daycare/preschool.

We haven't checked out the new Twilight Zone yet, but the cast they have gathered is impressive so I am curious to see a lot of the episodes.  I find with a lot of anthology shows, no one episode can REALLY tell you what hte overall entire show would be like.  I didn't like the first episode of Black Mirror but stuck with it and ended up loving the show and that is still my least favorite episode, but boy am I glad I didn't give up after just 1 ep.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

We haven't checked out the new Twilight Zone yet, but the cast they gave gathered is impressive so I am curious to see a lot of the episodes.  I find with a lot of anthology shows, no one episode can REALLY tell you what hte overall entire show would be like.  I didn't like the first episode of Black Mirror but stuck with it and ended up loving the show and that is still my least favorite episode, but boy am I glad I didn't give up after just 1 ep.

Yeah, the professional reviews for the other episodes were pretty mixed to negative from what I saw.  If anyone here watches Twilight Zone and raves, I'll consider returning to it.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

We haven't checked out the new Twilight Zone yet, but the cast they have gathered is impressive so I am curious to see a lot of the episodes. 

The Nightmare at 30,000 feet episode was the worst hour of television I think I've ever seen.

Just now, pete said:

The Nightmare at 30,000 feet episode was the worst hour of television I think I've ever seen.

This is basically how I felt about the comedian one.

Well my expectations are certainly set low :lol:  Still, it's nice they have episodes coming up with John Cho, Allison Tolman, Jacob Tremblay, Greg Kinnear, Rhea Seehorn, Ike Barinholtz, Ginnifer Goodwin, Tracy Morgan, Glenn Fleshler, Seth Rogen and Chris O'Dowd.  Hopefully Rhea Seehorn's will at least be good

1 minute ago, Ghostbusters II said:

it's just terrible.

Are you including the movie in that statement?

I've never seen it, but I'll always be grateful to everyone involved since we got one of Jerry's best ever scores out of it.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

We haven't checked out the new Twilight Zone yet, but the cast they have gathered is impressive so I am curious to see a lot of the episodes.  I find with a lot of anthology shows, no one episode can REALLY tell you what hte overall entire show would be like.  I didn't like the first episode of Black Mirror but stuck with it and ended up loving the show and that is still my least favorite episode, but boy am I glad I didn't give up after just 1 ep.

Same here. It did turn me off for a couple years but I did eventually give Black Mirror another shot (with "Nosedive" I think) and then really got into it. That first episode still is icky.

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The level of vitriol and invective directed at him by many so far outweighed anything he's actually quoted as saying.  There were a lot of people making a strawman out of him if you ask me.

Well, he is quite thin.

Netflix won’t be able to compete financially with Disney, Apple, and Amazon. I reckon they’ll lose a good chunk of their subscribers to Disney later this year. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Of Netflix's original films (so far) the one I like the most is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and I like that one A LOT.  Roma was just soooooo boring.

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Okja, and A Futile and Stupid Gesture are good too!

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Okja, and A Futile and Stupid Gesture are good too!

I liked I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore for what it was.  Okja was... interesting.  I'm glad I watched it, if nothing else just for Tilda and Gyllenhaal!

It's fun!  I liked it a lot.  Not all of the six stories are equally good, but its fun discussing with others who have seen it because everyone has their own favorite / least favorite segments

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I liked I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore for what it was.  Okja was... interesting.  I'm glad I watched it, if nothing else just for Tilda and Gyllenhaal!

Didn't like that one very much.  It just seemed like  "wacky and random indie misadventures!" without any purpose.  

17 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Didn't like that one very much.  It just seemed like  "wacky and random indie misadventures!" without any purpose.  

I thought it was a great followup to Blue Ruin - better than Green Room was, for sure.

7 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Annihilation

I don't really consider that a Netflix Original.  Netflix never became involved with it until after the whole movie was already finished, they just became a distributor when the original distributor got cold feet.  And it wasn't even for all countries; Here in the US it opened in theaters first, distributed by Paramount.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

thought it was a great followup to Blue Ruin - better than Green Room was, for sure.

Not the same director!  Also I thought Green Room was a Great Movie!

I know it's not the same director, of course.  But it was directed by Macon Blair, star of Blue Ruin , and I enjoyed the tone of his film here significantly more than Saulnier's Green Room.  I actually still haven't sat down and checked out Hold The Dark.  His True Detective directing was top notch, though.

Man.  Green Room was one of the singularly intense and memorable movie viewings I’ve ever had in my own home.  The suspense drew me in like few movies do.  Like I forgot the rest of the world existed until the movie finally relented.

EDIT:

Hey look here’s my post from my first viewing. :) 

On 7/15/2016 at 10:08 PM, Disco Stu said:

Rented Green Room tonight and holy shit that was great.  Just about as taut and riveting a thriller as I've seen in a long time.  With this and Blue Ruin, Jeremy Saulnier has my full attention.  I love how his movies are so grounded in just full-on rural trashiness.

And of course this is Anton Yelchin's last movie before the new Trek.  His performance was pitch perfect for this movie and it really drove home how I always appreciated how eclectic he was in choosing his movies.  RIP.

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Green Room was one of the singularly intense and memorable movie viewings I’ve ever had in my own home.  The suspense drew me in like few movies do.  Like I forgot the rest of the world existed until the movie finally relented.

That was my experience with Blue Ruin!  I was bummed Green Room wasn't the same for me.

Perhaps part of the problem was I watched it with my wife, who didn't like the movie from the start, and that was clear the whole time.  Maybe if I had watched it alone, I would have felt differently.  Who knows.  

I doubt even on a rewatch, I'll find it as good as Blue Ruin though

I didn't care for BLUE RUIN at all. GREEN ROOM was slightly better. HOLD THE DARK is his best work so far, in addition to the TRUE DETECTIVE work.

Regarding the quality of Netflix originals, I actually just discussed this on Facebook with some colleagues earlier today. Although 80% of it is mediocre or trashy, certain gems pop up now and then. Some good ones I've seen over the last year include BLAME!, IO, TRIPLE FRONTIER, BIRD BOX, TAU, UPGRADE, CARGO, THE RITUAL, GERALD'S GAME, RAVENOUS, I AM THE PRETTY THING THAT LIVES IN THE HOUSE (yes, mostly sci fi or horror). I thought THE SILENCE would have been a pretty decent film in a universe where A QUIET PLACE didn't exist. And films like ANNIHILATION, if that counts (I saw it in the theatre first).

On 4/11/2019 at 11:17 AM, Disco Stu said:

Are you including the movie in that statement?

I've never seen it, but I'll always be grateful to everyone involved since we got one of Jerry's best ever scores out of it.

You should watch the prologue and then the Nightmare episode (it is the last of the bunch).  

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Aw, “Kick the Can” isn’t good?  What a lovey score for that segment.

It is Spielberg in his most unrestrained sentimental mode.  As a kid, I liked it because it had Benson in it.  Watch the whole movie--all of the stories have their merits, but I think that all but Nightmare fall short of the original versions.