Black Friday! - What do you believe in?

Brundlefly

What will be the big surprise of Black Friday?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the big surprise of Black Friday?

• The Harry Potter John Williams Collection
    • The Indiana Jones Collection
    • One or Both Star Wars Trilogies
    • One or Several Non-Franchise John Williams Releases
    • One Big Disappointment (Means Nothing by John Williams)
    • Black Sunday (Joke - Don't Choose)

It's not much time until we have Black Friday! Do you still believe in the Harry Potter bix set? Have you ever believed in the Harry Potter box set? Why?/Why not? Anything else that could happen? Why would you think so?

There is absolutely no reason to assume whatsoever that LLL will release anything JW related on Black Friday

Can you create a poll option for that?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

There is absolutely no reason to assume whatsoever that LLL will release anything JW related on Black Friday

Can you create a poll option for that?

Isn't One Big Disappointment that option?

Didn't MM want us JWFans to save money?

3 minutes ago, Display Name said:

Didn't MM want us JWFans to save money?

MM saying that has no correlation with one specialty label's release schedule.  MM does work for all the labels.

And LLL releasing 4 or 5 Black Friday titles from a variety of great composers who don't happen to be named John Williams is certainly not a disappointment to me, no.

6 minutes ago, Display Name said:

Isn't One Big Disappointment that option?

It is.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

And LLL releasing 4 or 5 Black Friday titles from a variety of great composers who don't happen to be named John Williams is certainly not a disappointment to me, no.

Well, let's say a disappointment in relation to JW expansions, naturally not in general.

The Harry Potter John Williams Collection

LLL seems to be the label most likely to get a license for HP scores if WB ever grants one to anyone.  But have they granted a license to anyone?  And would they be ready for this fall if they had?

The Indiana Jones Collection

That would come out on Disney Records' own label, not a specialty label, and Concord's license isn't up yet.  This is impossible.

One or Both Star Wars Trilogies

That would come out on Disney Records' own label, not a specialty label.

Several Non-Franchise John Williams Releases

LLL has publicly said that The Towering Inferno and JFK would come out "2017 or later".  But then later MV posted somewhere that TTI won't be coming out this year.  I don't remember if he publicly commented on JFK or not.

One Big Disappointment

The only reason anyone can be disappointed that LLL doesn't release a JW title on Black Friday would be if they set themselves up to expect one, despite the fact that no one who works for LLL has given any indication that one would be coming - or any clues about the BF batch at all.

Black Sunday

The 1976 score that FSM already released?

You really need to put Close Encounters as a poll option, since we know its coming but don't know if it'll drop pre-Black Friday, on Black Friday, or in 2018.

And you really need a poll option that indicates they won't release a JW title, and aren't disappointed by that fact.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only reason anyone can be disappointed that LLL doesn't release a JW title on Black Friday would be if they set themselves up to expect one, despite the fact that no one who works for LLL has given any indication that one would be coming - or any clues about the BF batch at all.

:up:

I for one am excited to see what they release, from whatever composers they may be!

For those who may not have been following, here are their batches from recent years

2011-11-29 Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith (1197 - 2,000)
2011-11-29 Fat Man and Little Boy - Ennio Morricone (1196 - 3,000)
2011-11-29 Scrooged - Danny Elfman (1195 - 3,000)
2011-11-29 Die Hard - Michael Kamen (1188 - 3,500)

2012-12-04 Various - Star Trek: The Original Series [15 CD] (1701 - 6000)
2012-12-04 Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables (1236 - 3500)
2012-12-04 Michael Kamen - Die Hard With A Vengeance (1233 - 4000)
2012-12-04 John Williams - Home Alone 2 (1232 - 3000)

2013-12-03 John Debney - Bonnie and Clyde (1292 - unlimited)
2013-12-03 Michael Kamen - Lethal Weapon 1-4 [8CD] (1287 - 3,000)
2013-12-03 John Ottman - Superman Returns [2CD] (1282 - 3,000)
2013-12-03 Dimitri Tiomkin - Gunfight at the OK Corral (1280 - 2,000)
2013-12-03 Robert Folk - Police Academy (1269 - 3,000)

2014-12-02 Danny Elfman - Big Top Pee Wee (1334 - 2,500)
2014-12-02 Various - Star Trek: Enterprise [4CD] (1330 - 3,000)
2014-12-02 John Debney - Passion Of The Christ [2CD] (1329 - 10,000)
2014-12-02 Danny Elfman - Batman / Batman Returns [4CD] (1327 - 3,000)
2014-12-02 David Arnold - Shaft (1326 - 2,500)

2015-12-01 James Horner - The Pagemaster (1378 - 2,000)
2015-12-01 James Horner - Braveheart [2CD] (1375 - 3,000)
2015-12-01 John Williams - Home Alone [2CD] (1374 - 5,000)
2015-12-01 John Barry - Dances With Wolves [2CD] (1350 - 5,000)
2015-12-01 Dimitri Tiomkin - Giant [2CD] (1333 - 3,000)

2016-11-29 Various - Star Trek: 50th Anniversary Collection (1410 - 3,000)

2016-11-29 John Williams - Jurassic Park / The Lost World (1409 - 5,000)

2016-11-29 Don Ellis - French Connection I & II / Brad Fiedel - Popeye Doyle (1408 - 2,000)

2016-11-29 Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop II (1407 - 3,000)

2016-11-29 Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop (1406 - 3,000)

10 hours ago, Jay said:

The 1976 score that FSM already released?

I wanted to be funny (you know, Black Friday and Black Sunday) but apparently didn't succeed.

Edited the poll, according to your suggestions.

I believe in Harry Potter. That or Titanic. Otherwise my Christmas will be ruined and I'll probably never recover from the shock.

HP just makes sense to me because of the recent vinyl announcement, the concerts taking place around the globe, the Fantastic Beasts hype etc. Titanic would be equally welcome for me. If both turn out to be impossible, I'd settle for an MM version of Hook.

But might I point out that it's the John Williams Harry Potter collection and not the Harry Potter John Williams bix set?

I want John Williams: The Complete Recordings -- a 7,482 disc set featuring the unedited recording sessions of every film score ever composed by Williams.

...except the Indy, Star Wars or Potter scores (rights issues).

I’m currently thinking it’ll be something shite like Far and Away or some pre Jaws score I have no interest in. 

That way if we get anything better it’ll be a pleasant surprise! 

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Edited the poll, according to your suggestions.

I hope you realize I was making suggestions as a fellow member giving my own opinion, not as a moderator telling you what to do.  

And I personally still don't think that them not releasing a JW title can be considered a disappointment since we have no reason to expect one (other than maybe CE3K) and there are many great scores written by many other great composers that can come out.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I believe in Harry Potter. That or Titanic. Otherwise my Christmas will be ruined and I'll probably never recover from the shock.

I really hope you don't take film music releases that seriously...

We can be quite sure of CE3K, simply because they announced it was in production. So they were confident the next steps of production would just be a matter of time.

The rest is mostly rumours, who knows what's true. MM could be working on a complete Star Wars box right now. We might not hear from it for years. Its a process that can take years.

At this point, the only releases that are must-buys for me are 1970s+ Williams and Elfman, both of which I collect as a completest.  The pool is getting smaller.  And my expendable cash is less these days, so I'm doing a lot less blind-buying of other composers or genres (for instance, I fell behind on DC Animated Movie releases last year and never caught up).

Between OSTs that I'm satisfied enough with and 10+ years of outstanding expansions, I honestly can't think of anything outside of that pool that would excite me.  Giacchino's Speed Racer?  Shore's "complete-r" Hobbit scores?  Maybe, although those OSTs are very generous as well.

Not expecting anything huge on Black Friday (or any release day) anymore,.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

I hope you realize I was making suggestions as a fellow member giving my own opinion, not as a moderator telling you what to do.  

And I personally still don't think that them not releasing a JW title can be considered a disappointment since we have no reason to expect one (other than maybe CE3K) and there are many great scores written by many other great composers that can come out.

I really hope you don't take film music releases that seriously...

Don't worry, I was being sarcastic.

LLL has done what none of the other labels have - create an 'event' for which expectations are now sky high. I see JP as an unusually prominent release and I don't think that should set expectations going forward.

I think some sort of Potter release is most likely if there is another 'wow' release. Simply because it's been hinted at for a long time.

Although if they want to start with PoA, that would be just incredible :)

Although with a trusted producer, many titles are now clearly possible that weren't a few years ago.

But all that means is that they'll start flowing out over the next few years, and if we're really lucky, something will be ready for BF.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

LLL has done what none of the other labels have - create an 'event' for which expectations are now sky high. I see JP as an unusually prominent release and I don't think that should set expectations going forward.

I would agree except that MV said LLL has "really outdone themselves this year" or something along those lines over at FSM. At the time, he said he was listening to 7 discs worth of product that due to be released on Black Friday.

Personally, I'd guess we get Close Encounters for Williams (if anything) and maybe something huge from another composer like Titanic. I consider Potter possible, but it also wouldn't surprise me if that's still a ways off.

Ah ok I missed that quote. It'll be very cool if we do get something like Titanic (or similar cache).

28 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Starting with POA would be utterly ridiculous.

It wouldn't be ridiculous, just logically weird.

Would you complain?

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

It wouldn't be ridiculous, just logically weird.

Would you complain?

JWFans might not, but I guarantee someone would.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way - it's down to what MM and LLL are able to do in what timescales. Film chronology isn't everything.

Didn't HA:2 get expanded before HA:1? (Different labels I know, but there must be some reason Varese did the second one all that time ago, and not the first one).

HA:2 was expanded by Varese first, because they had the OST rights at the time I suspect.

But as you noted, the chronology of films is really not a factor in when scores get expanded.

Actually, two scores I have on my want list (pie-in-sky) are Jurassic Park III (for the Trilogy) and The Matrix (to give that score the same treatment a Reloaded and Revolutions).

JP III is perhaps more likely, given that The Matrix is under the Varese Sarabande in-perpetuity thumb.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The rest is mostly rumours, who knows what's true. MM could be working on a complete Star Wars box right now. We might not hear from it for years. Its a process that can take years.

I'm even quite confident he's working on it. There are... hints.

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So many good released out there, so little disposable income. 

Painful.

Agreed.

Soon after I'd gotten myself out of a rather deep financial hole, a few years back, a good friend said to me "every penny you spend, is money you will never get back". It made me think then, and it still does.

There's so many great scores I'd like to have, but I've accepted that, as much as I love film music, there's more important, and relevant, things - rent/mortgage, food, (sensible and cheap) clothes, gas for the car - that I spend my money on. Yes, I buy what I can, but if it came down to a choice between food, and TLJ...I'd send Mr Williams my condolences...

I had no idea it was coming either, and didn't even think it was even possible.  I was thrilled when I woke up and saw the news!

I just didn't think Universal would play ball and let a specialty label work on those properties, since they handled a JP expansion themselves not too long before.  Once the news of this sunk in, I realized anything was possible now for Williams scores.

And sure enough, we got another Universal JW/SS expansion less than a year later!