Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Screen names on JWFan: VOTE NOW!

Should users be allowed to change their screen names?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the screen name policy at JWFan?

• Stick with the current policy: Users can change their own screen names once every 3 months
    • Revert to the old policy: Users cannot change their own screenname, but can ask a mod to change it for them
    • New policy: Screen names can never be changed at all, unless you are changing away from your real life name

I hope every current member of JWfan sees this poll and votes in it.  I'm genuinely curious what people think of the policy that was changed some time ago now.  Please vote and explain why you picked what you did. Thanks!

ETA: If we change the policy, everyone will be given ample time to pick a final screen name before enacting a change, you wouldn't be stuck with your current SN forever.

Went for the "Screen names can never be changed at all", because I find it personally confusing to identify users who have changed their names, especially as I don't visit the forum very regularly.

Also I think Jay should stick to his guns and have confidence that he made the right decision to allow users to change their own screenname. This survey seems like a very Malcolm Turnbull thing to do. Don't be like Malcolm Turnbull, unless you have a penchant for liking leather jackets.

Plus why is it so important to some people that users have one screenname and stick with it? We're reading the posts and not the names. Names are irrelevant, only the content of one's character is important.

We call on Prime Minister Jay to maintain the status quo and defend our right to change screennames, regardless of the results of this plebiscite. If he complies, I will personally 'like' his posts whenever possible. It's a good deal.

I actually never have much of a problem with who's who. Most of the regulars who change their names, I realize who they are pretty quickly just by their posts, and I've found Jay's been good about updating the name change thread whenever I'm confused.

Anyway, just put on your ignore list users that changed their nick names 6 times and over since the begining, you will be immunized against the "theatrical troup" of this forum.

I've never changed my name, but I think all the crazy identity shifts are part of the fun of the board.  It would be nice, though, if there were some way to automate the "name change thread" process, like a log of display name changes on a user's profile.

5 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

It would be nice, though, if there were some way to automate the "name change thread" process, like a log of display name changes on a user's profile.

I wonder if there's a plug-in for that now that you mention it.  I can go into the Admin Control Panel and click on anyone's name and see every screen name they've had since we switched to ipboard4. It's conceivable that someone wrote a plug that puts the same.info somewhere in people's profiles. I'll investigate tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, Woj said:

My point is that if you're too stupid to figure out who people are after they change usernames, you should either go back to school or kill yourself. You're too fucking stupid. It's you choice. 

Yea this kind of talk isn't allowed here Wojo

On 5/10/2011 at 9:20 PM, Jay said:

01 - Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

19 minutes ago, Woj said:

Yeah, I don't really care what you think. 

Well, you can either follow the rules or be suspended. It's your decision.

6 minutes ago, Woj said:

Goodbye everybody. It seems Jay-Z's made his choice. 

He said it's your decision, not his.

I voted option 2: seems balanced - not too confusing and still enough freedom

On a forum I've been Admin on for over ten years, virtually nobody ever changes screen name and that's a very good thing!

In certain special cases, members can ask an Admin to change it for them, but that should be a very rare exception.

It is honestly beyond my comprehension why it is even needed to change names at all.

What positive purpose could it serve?

14 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

It is honestly beyond my comprehension why it is even needed to change names at all.

What positive purpose could it serve?

This is wildly hyperbolic. What negative purpose does it serve?  Nothing happens beyond brief confusion from certain people.  Good grief, this is such an insignificant thing, I can't believe anyone even has a strong opinion about it. 

New policy. I've never even considered changing any of my usernames. It's the least important factor of being on an MB for me and if usernames keep being changed, others can't really keep up with who is who anymore.

10 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Being a relatively new member here, I find it extremely confusing when other members are constantly changing their usernames on a regular basis. It makes it very hard to pinpoint exactly who is who on the forums. I vote for the second option.

Same here.

The only reason I think Option 1 is a bad deal because I'd hate to inconvenience Jay by asking him to change my name upon request. It should only be my responsibility as to whether I want to change my name.