Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Screen names on JWFan: VOTE NOW!

Should users be allowed to change their screen names?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the screen name policy at JWFan?

• Stick with the current policy: Users can change their own screen names once every 3 months
    • Revert to the old policy: Users cannot change their own screenname, but can ask a mod to change it for them
    • New policy: Screen names can never be changed at all, unless you are changing away from your real life name

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Now is the time for Michael to return!

We say of Michael that he has gone on a journey into that land where we walk without footprints.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter.  All of the "frequent name change" users blur together for me, and imo that's the "price" they pay for doing that.  I'm not interested in bookmarking the User Name Change thread for constant use - so my interactions with them have been a little less personal, maybe - for that reason, I picked the second option.

17 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

We say of Michael that he has gone on a journey into that land where we walk without footprints.

There is no measuring Michael's motives by ordinary standards.

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Option 2 is in the lead. 

Blow it up ref!

LeBlanc is going to wait until whichever option he wants to win has the more votes before closing the thread, the clever beggar!

47 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

The policy is about to change! Quick, everybody change your names!

15 hours ago, Jay said:

If we change the policy, everyone will be given ample time to pick a final screen name before enacting a change, you wouldn't be stuck with your current SN forever.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've been a member of a few different ones too over the years (haven't we all?), and JWFan is the only one which let's users change their screen name. 

Which is part of what makes JWFan stand out. Don't take away my fun! I've only changed my name once so far!

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

This is wildly hyperbolic. What negative purpose does it serve?  Nothing happens beyond brief confusion from certain people.  Good grief, this is such an insignificant thing, I can't believe anyone even has a strong opinion about it. 

Wildly hyperbolic that I don't understand? Not at all. Just a simple statement of fact.

[I originally wrote a lot more explanation here. But what's the need? Better keep it simple.]

29 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Jay is the best leader this forum could ask for.

😎

Jason has done a lot for this place I will admit. Though Indysolo remains my personal favourite Moderator, during JWFan's golden Age.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Don't forget that over 60% want the forum rules to be changed! Option 3 is technically supporting Option 2

How is that so? The 3ers want to rigidly restrict us to one name for life (unless the real world intervenes), while the 2ers are still at least open to name changes.

Why do we want to change our clothes?

Why do we go through times where we binge a load of John Williams scores, then tire of him and binge through a bunch of Jerry Goldsmith scores?

It's the same thing!

2 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Why do we want to change our clothes?

Why do we go through times where we binge a load of John Williams scores, then tire of him and binge through a bunch of Jerry Goldsmith scores?

It's the same thing!

Really?

I see a name more like an easily remembered identifier that could have some extra meaning to it.

But with avatars, customizable titles and signatures, I reckon there is plenty of opportunity to change your look without changing the base identifier.

Actually, does this forum have customizable titles?

The forum I am Admin on does, but I never bothered to look into it here.

If not, it might be something worth to consider.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, absolutely it does; Yours says "Project Engineer" currently

Thanks for confirming!

It seems that less customisation displays on the "mobile" version of the forum and I haven't used the desktop version of this site in a while.

My other forum shows screen name, custom title, avatar and in some cases various "ribbons" and only skips the signature on the mobile version.

But on JWFan, only the screen name and avatar are shown on my phone screen now.

I wonder if that might be a contributing factor here.

If the same applies to other users, that limits the customisation options to only avatar and screen name.

If so, I could imagine users may want to customize both.

But if the custom title is also displayed, I reckon that should take away the need to change the name itself.

Does this forum also use "ribbons" for certain users?

I've found that quite useful to distinguish different user groups if necessary.

They can also be used as a reward of sorts.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say ribbons

Have a look here: http://piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-4-1-wip-last-update-31-august-2017.27122/

I mean the coloured markers that say "Staff Member", "Administrator", "Storm Modder" and "Hearts of Oak Donator" for my account there.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Pity us 9 who went with the third option can't make a switch to the first option instead. It'd probably be a clear win. 

Surely the people who went for 3 would be more likely to switch to 2 instead of 1?

13 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

@Jay How do you customize a title? I'm on a desktop, and I don't see anywhere in the profile preferences where I can change it manually.

You have to have 1,000 posts first

12 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Have a look here: http://piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-4-1-wip-last-update-31-august-2017.27122/

I mean the coloured markers that say "Staff Member", "Administrator", "Storm Modder" and "Hearts of Oak Donator" for my account there.

I don't think IPBoard offers that feature

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Pity us 9 who went with the third option can't make a switch to the first option instead. It'd probably be a clear win. 

I'm not sure what you mean.  The board software absolutely allows you to change your vote at any time.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think IPBoard offers that feature

Indeed maybe not. We switched to Xenforo a good many years ago.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand the desire for changing user names,

along with alternate ways to fulfill the same desire while maintaining a fixed username at the same time.

I always like "win-win" scenarios wherever possible. ;)