Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Screen names on JWFan: VOTE NOW!

Should users be allowed to change their screen names?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the screen name policy at JWFan?

• Stick with the current policy: Users can change their own screen names once every 3 months
    • Revert to the old policy: Users cannot change their own screenname, but can ask a mod to change it for them
    • New policy: Screen names can never be changed at all, unless you are changing away from your real life name

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Well I'd like more people to vote.  We have over 50 votes now, which is more than most polls around here ever get.  I hope more people see this and vote!

What does everyone think of the option @Gnome in Plaid mentioned on page 1

Would be nice if the name history is somehow accessible from each person's info box next to their posts. If I could have a line below their current name that displays one of their past names (one I can pick from the list and then pin for the future), everybody can change their name every 10 minutes as far as I'm concerned.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

If I could have a line below their current name that displays one of their past names (one I can pick from the list and then pin for the future)

Yea, that's incredibly complicated and never happening...

Changing names is very similar to making multiple accounts.

On my other forum, that is very specifically against forum rules.

Necessary clause to help avoid trolling.

This is JWFan. Can we spend our time talking about John Williams? And film music? And movies?

And have friendly fun while doing it?

That's all I'd want from this place.

Allow name changing by mods only.

It's ridiculously confusing when people keep changing their names - I think that moving from a nick to your real name (or the other way round) is the only thing people need to do.

Liberty or death!

Seriously though, restricting people’s name changes is like PSN vs Xbox Live. Sony’s archaic online infrastructure doesn’t allow one to change their online ID and it’s been the hot topic for over a decade. Xbox lets you change whenever you want, but you have to pay $10.

So if anything but Option #1 wins the poll, I say let people change their names as often as they like, but they have to make a donation to the forum!

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Liberty or death!

Seriously though, restricting people’s name changes is like PSN vs Xbox Live. Sony’s archaic online infrastructure doesn’t allow one to change their online ID and it’s been the hot topic for over a decade. Xbox lets you change whenever you want, but you have to pay $10.

So if anything but Option #1 wins the poll, I say let people change their names as often as they like, but they have to make a donation to the forum!

$10 to change a username? That's moneymaking bullshit.

I don't care whether people use real or fake names. I changed mine once a few years ago, and deliberately kept my avatar the same to avoid confusion. Some people seem to change theirs when the weather changes, and that's confusing.

But again, what's so confusing about it? No-one here really knows me anyway. Most of the time when I'm reading posts, I don't even read who wrote them unless I backtrack to check.

There are a few whose writing style I recognise off the bat regardless of their name (Justin, Stefan, publicist, Alex, BloodBoal with that stoopid review format he does).

Well, it's also confusing when The Doctor regenerates and while you figure he's supposed to be the same guy with a different body, his personality kind of changes as well. So it's like what the fuck. 12 is a grouch and can't possibly be the same guy as 10, who acts like he's on coke. And yet, we just accept it.

Your usernames are dead, son. Accept it.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well I use my real first name but yeah I’m not openly advertising my last name or location.  Some people here know it though.

Your first name is Disco? That's... original...

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I say let people change their names as often as they like, but they have to make a donation to the forum!

lol yeah sure.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

$10 to change a username? That's moneymaking bullshit.

I don't care whether people use real or fake names. I changed mine once a few years ago, and deliberately kept my avatar the same to avoid confusion. Some people seem to change theirs when the weather changes, and that's confusing.

It really isn’t. “Some people” = Justin and Jerry. If you see a name you don’t recognize, it’s them. Not hard. 

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

No you are singled out because you're a couple of insufferably narcissistic divvys. You openly invite ridicule, you know you do. 

All publicity is good publicity, no matter how bad it is.

11 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The people who unnerve me a little are the ones who think we should all use our real names. My parents told me when they bought me a computer in 1999 that you don't use your real name on the internet and I've stuck by that one ever since.

As someone who doesn't bother hiding, I still don't mind if people use fake names on the internet.

I honestly don't know why someone would think everyone must use their real name. That's a personal choice.

Whatever floats your boat, right?

But repeatedly and deliberately changing username is just weird.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That's hilarious!

But isn't the whole point of an "ID" that it serves as a unique identifier?

Even here, all members have a unique ID number so that the forum software at least knows who's who.

Of course that doesn't really help the real people here, because who is going to look at and remember those numbers?

16 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Because it's fun!

An infinite number of other (and probably better) ways to have fun remain, even when you can't change username.

Or is "changing username every three months" the only light in the darkness and the only thing that keeps you going? :unsure:

I have plenty of other things to keep my mind in leisure. But I do get a lot of amusement from changing my name to a film or TV character, sometimes obscure and sometimes renowned, and see if some of the culturally informed folks here get it. It's a compliment to the users who do, and a learning curve for those who don't. That way, everyone wins.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

Why do you need to?

46 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Because it's fun!

22 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I have plenty of other things to keep my mind in leisure. But I do get a lot of amusement from changing my name to a film or TV character, sometimes obscure and sometimes renowned, and see if some of the culturally informed folks here get it. It's a compliment to the users who do, and a learning curve for those who don't. That way, everyone wins.

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Well, it's also confusing when The Doctor regenerates and while you figure he's supposed to be the same guy with a different body, his personality kind of changes as well. So it's like what the fuck. 12 is a grouch and can't possibly be the same guy as 10, who acts like he's on coke. And yet, we just accept it.

But if the show had 100 Doctors, and 10 of them regenerated in each episodes, it would be hard to keep track.

4 hours ago, Woj said:

I love how much this idea bothers Petey and Richy. It's like you can see their pouting lips and tears welling up every time they type about how much these name changers hurt their widdle feewings. 

It is more that, as a long-time forum Admin myself, I know only too well the reasons why it isn't a good idea to allow this.

On the other hand, it is massively entertaining (in totally the wrong way) to see how certain people here REALLY want to be able to do it.

For no apparent reason, other than some measure of perceived "fun".

Silly stuff like this (and the bizarre occasional apparent "flame wars") are major contributing factors on why I'm not around all that often. It does tend to chase people away.

But the only reason why I bother arguing at all is because I have hope for a better future for JWFan. But really, I don't care all that much.