Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Screen names on JWFan: VOTE NOW!

Should users be allowed to change their screen names?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the screen name policy at JWFan?

• Stick with the current policy: Users can change their own screen names once every 3 months
    • Revert to the old policy: Users cannot change their own screenname, but can ask a mod to change it for them
    • New policy: Screen names can never be changed at all, unless you are changing away from your real life name

The policy hasn't changed, but now you can click on anyone's username to be brought to their profile page, where you can click a new clock/arrow icon and see every screen name they've used since ~2016

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jason asked our opinion and has then decided to completely ignore it.

Typical!

He recognizes that the council has made a decision.....

On 10/13/2017 at 7:55 PM, Jay said:

I have zero reason to keep updating the screen name thread now.

Up to you, of course, but it's worth pointing out that the new feature doesn't entirely supplant the screen name thread in functionality, because it only allows you to look up past names of a user whose current name you already know, not to find the current name of a user based on an earlier moniker. If I were to come here after a few months' absence and wonder what BloodBoal was calling himself now, I'd have to work out the answer in order to use the new feature to find the answer. Probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone with a large post count, but less prolific users might be difficult to locate (without the list, which is easily searchable).

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Do you say their names over and over again every night until you fall asleep?

Indeed.  Once I learn the magic of how to take on the appearance of the moderators' accounts, they will be very afraid.

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Up to you, of course, but it's worth pointing out that the new feature doesn't entirely supplant the screen name thread in functionality, because it only allows you to look up past names of a user whose current name you already know, not to find the current name of a user based on an earlier moniker. If I were to come here after a few months' absence and wonder what BloodBoal was calling himself now, I'd have to work out the answer in order to use the new feature to find the answer.

Let me help you: it would still be "BloodBoal".

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Up to you, of course, but it's worth pointing out that the new feature doesn't entirely supplant the screen name thread in functionality, because it only allows you to look up past names of a user whose current name you already know, not to find the current name of a user based on an earlier moniker. If I were to come here after a few months' absence and wonder what BloodBoal was calling himself now, I'd have to work out the answer in order to use the new feature to find the answer. Probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone with a large post count, but less prolific users might be difficult to locate (without the list, which is easily searchable).

Hmm that is true.  But realistically, the odds that there is any member here who 1) would change their name 2) is someone you enjoyed reading and 3) you cannot figure out what their new name is just by catching up on threads after an absence, is pretty slim.

Also, there actually always is a way around this too:  If you search for a person's old screen name, as long as one person quoted them in another post one time, their name will appear in the quote box header, which comes up in search results.

You could also leave a link to their profile in that thread (basically you click their name on the list and it takes you to their profile), I should think.

That doesn't solve the problem he's talking about.  He's talking about a person who has never changed their screen name before ever, then he goes away for 3 months, and comes back, and that person has since switched screen names.  Therefore, that person wouldn't appear in the screen name change thread at all.