Anticipating a new JW score

Tom

Just a random observation about my own psychology: I usually do not "enjoy" waiting for a new JW score or piece.  I just want to hear it like a spoiled brat, which is the case particularly for TLJ.  Due to TLJ, The Papers (or whatever it is now called) is just not something I am focusing on.  If TLJ were not coming out this December, I would be pinning to hear The Papers.  So, I am taking this as a good thing.  I will still enjoy both, but at least I don't have to suffer the wait for two scores (just TLJ).

I guess I am wondering if anyone else's experience is similar to mine.  Weirdly, I may end up enjoying The Papers much more in the long term.  It could provide Williams with a variety of unexpected and/or original opportunities for scoring.  

I really don't have much of that 'giddiness' or impatience anymore. With the possible exception of WAR HORSE, no JW score has really impressed me in the last 12 years. Also, in terms of THE LAST JEDI (the movie), I don't have the same kind of 'thrill' that I had before TFA -- maybe because at that time, there was 10 years since the last movie, and also the first time in 30-something years we would see the original cast again. So while I notice there is a myriad of STAR WARS threads here, and THE LAST JEDI threads, I don't follow or have any particular interest in any of them.

All that being said, I do still have expectations, and I'm sure I'll feel the "moment" right before I enter the theatre to see TLJ. Obviously. But I'll just take it calmly as it comes. I was actually far more jazzed for ALIEN: COVENANT and BLADE RUNNER 2049 this year.

I'm the opposite, at least in regards to JWFan posting.  I love the anticipation but the after-the-fact period of discussion and analysis bores the hell out of me.  Future projects are the only threads in the JW subforum that I'm remotely interested in (otherwise, it's the land of score dissections, tired rankings, and greatest-hits concerts).   

Of course, having the score itself is great, especially in the early "honeymoon period" before every note gets internalized in my brain. 

I enjoy obsessively listening to a new JW score as soon it’s out and I’ve seen the movie much more than anticipating it.  I then try not to complain about what it isn’t but listen to it with open ears for what it is.

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I'm the opposite, at least in regards to JWFan posting.  I love the anticipation but the after-the-fact period of discussion and analysis bores the hell out of me.  Future projects are the only threads in the JW subforum that I'm remotely interested in (otherwise, it's the land of score dissections, tired rankings, and greatest-hits concerts).   

Of course, having the score itself is great, especially in the early "honeymoon period" before every note gets internalized in my brain. 

Yeah I'm a little bit like that too. My favorite part is probably the anticipation, but very, very close behind is the week or so after release. 

I always enjoy the lead up to a new JW score. More than the score itself in the film, I anticipate the release of the OST. Even though a lot of music is missing, I love listening to the OST over and over and beginning to understand the new music JW has written.

There's no OST release date yet for The Post but conceivably it could release before TLJ. Although its wide release isn't until Dec 22, that doesn't mean the OST will follow suit (especially if Spielberg smells Oscar bait).

Lincoln's OST released about 3 days before the film's wide release, for example.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's no OST release date yet for The Post but conceivably it could release before TLJ. Although its wide release isn't until Dec 22, that doesn't mean the OST will follow suit (especially if Spielberg smells Oscar bait).

Lincoln's OST released about 3 days before the film's wide release, for example.

Wasn't that because OSTs used to come out on Tuesdays, though?

I feel less impatient now that the trailer's out. With so little info on the film or score all year, I was always hoping to get some little tidbit and most weeks it's been tumbleweeds with not much to go on for ongoing speculation. Now that there's finally some sense of the imagery and hints of what a few of the dramatic opportunities will actually be for Williams, I'm more relaxed in my excitement and should be able to just enjoy the rest of the hype. Two months to go! 

Also I too keep forgetting about The Post, and whenever I'm reminded of it, it's like a pleasant surprise. Aw yeah, another one! And I've enjoyed his recent dramatic scores. Looking forward to a trailer for that to get a better guess what he could do with it. In my mind I pretty much just keep thinking piano and strings, which is fine by me but it'd be nice to get something different too.

I'm really hoping The Post is another War Horse, where we all expect the worst and end up completely bamboozled by the resulting score.

There's every chance it could be a spiritual fourth entry in his Oliver Stone series of scores. There's also every chance it'll be a spiritual sequel to Lincoln. :/

I have such fond memories of seeing TFA, listening to the soundtrack on repeat until I "got" it (only took a week or so) and then really starting to explore the thing. It took me weeks if not months to unravel the mastery of the thing, and I can't wait to do it again with TLJ. This time it will be tinged with sadness though as I'm still a bit cut up about Carrie Fisher's passing, particularly after such a wonderful comeback.

There's something about this time of year as well - summer in Australia was when I listened to and watched the first two Potters which was the start of my JW journey (and my musical/career path as well). I'm already feeling a bit like that again.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A spiritual sequel to one of Williams’ best scores of the century?  I’ll take it!

I agree with.... ah you know what I mean. 

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A spiritual sequel to one of Williams’ best scores of the century?  I’ll take it!

Between Lincoln, The Patriot, the Olympics and Unfinished Journey, Williams has said just about everything there is to say in that 'mode.' Lincoln was only two scores ago in their collaboration; it would be disappointing to hear them go over the same territory yet again.

Oh sure, I think something different for The Post would be grand.  But I also wouldn’t be sad to get new music with the same level of beauty, poignancy, and humanity as Lincoln.  I’m up for whatever, Mr Williams!

But back to topic. For me, knowing a new JW release is around the corner is a joyful feeling. It’s something to look forward to, , but I don’t obsess about it much.

TLJ is special though, different from other releases like The Post, since it’s a continuation of a very beloved series, playing with existing themes and adding new colors to the musical tapestry. That makes it more exciting by default because we already know what musical ideas it will build upon and have a hint of how it will sound.

With new releases like The Post, we can only guess.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

There's every chance it could be a spiritual fourth entry in his Oliver Stone series of scores. There's also every chance it'll be a spiritual sequel to Lincoln. :/

Of course that depends a lot on if the film tends to emphasize more of a thriller/espionage tone or sentimental "against all odds" type Americana. It'd be cool to get the dark intensity of the Stone scores but I think I'd be pretty satisfied with something like Catch Me If You Can crossed with Munich.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh sure, I think something different for The Post would be grand.  But I also wouldn’t be sad to get new music with the same level of beauty, poignancy, and humanity as Lincoln.  I’m up for whatever, Mr Williams!

When I think of this I keep thinking of Spotlight and I wonder what a Williams version will sound like.

Heh, I doubt Williams will write a score with so much Fender Rhodes piano, but you never know!

Anyway, they're quite different stories I think.  Spotlight is very much like All the President's Men in terms of being mainly about diving deep into the process of investigative journalism.  I think The Post is much more a story about the press defending itself from government attacks on the 1st amendment.

59 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

When I think of this I keep thinking of Spotlight and I wonder what a Williams version will sound like.

I imagine Spielberg will heavily temp that score for the film so you might find out.

Here's how I feel about most upcoming John Williams scores: 

If it were the Old West, all of these gunslingers would be in a saloon, proving who's got the sharpest skills, trying to shoot a tiny shot glass placed far away on the other side of the bar. As everyone's talkin' smack, puffin' themselves up, an old, unassuming figure opens the door, strides to the bar, and points to a drink.

As the figure's drink is being poured, suddenly, out of nowhere, a pistol blurs into existence in his hand, a shot rings out, and the sound of shattered glass immediately follows. The gunslingers watch their target explode, and immediately their faces swivel frantically,  darting off rapid fire questions, trying to figure out where that perfect shot had come from. Amidst this confusion, the figure nods to the barkeep, takes his drink, and saunters out of the saloon.

One of the gunslingers finds the bullet that had struck their target, holds it high for all to see, and reads a simple inscription on the bullet: "JTW".

Upon hearing the name, all go silent, except for one gunslinger. It was a whisper, but one everybody could hear:  "Legend's still got it."

I always anticipate a JW score. We get so little "new", these days, that it's almost like a holy grail for me. I can't wait to get a hold of The Last Jedi, and play it over and over again.

8 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The project does kinda smell like “Spielberg enjoyed Spotlight and wants to do his own version”

I'd say he also probably thought that the story was super-relevant to today, and saw potential as a result. 

The most anticipation I have ever felt before the release of a JW CD--or, for that matter, any new music--was Prisoner of Azkaban, closely followed by Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Revenge of the Sith.

I still do feel great excitement and anticipation for a new JW score, but these feelings aren't nearly as powerful and overwhelming anymore, I'm afraid. Still, I cannot wait to hear both The Last Jedi and The Post! I feel like we're incredibly lucky and privileged to be able to hear two (!!) brand-new John Williams scores in this late year of 2017. Wonderful times for any film music fan!

I don't think I'd anticipated a score as highly as KOTCS. Needless to say that was a very disappointing OST discovery, much like the film it accompanied. You can almost hear Williams' boredom.

But anyway, I'm pretty pumped for TLJ but perhaps cautiously so. While I respect TFA highly, I didn't expect such a restrained score for a Star Wars movie, especially after being so accustomed to his 'everything-but-the-kitchen-sink' approach from the prequels. He carried those films and Star Wars has always allowed musical indulgence (like Indiana Jones) where other films don't.

Where appropriate I'm always happy for Williams' music to demand attention rather than 'merely' accompany the film. TFA is a more refined score from Williams and reflects his mature sensibilities as a composer but I'd be happy if, as the stakes get higher, Williams is encouraged to spread his musical wings and go for broke.

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

While I respect TFA highly, I didn't expect such a restrained score for a Star Wars movie

With how quick and jam-packed the movie was, to the point where characters can barely have a full conversation with each other, I think John Williams was very wise to go for a lean approach, both in scope and thematic density. That said, from the trailer, The Last Jedi seems promising in what opportunities John Williams can find to go all out, as you say. 

As to TLJ.... I'm happy if JW writes 1-2 cool new themes and their concert versions (3-4 minutes each), and at least 3 action sequences. 

That's all I ask for. The rest could be relatively boring underscore, but I don't care. If it serves the movie, it's good music, and the album will be my most coveted release of the year, including all music, film, and books.

Nintendo's Super Mario Odyssey is my number one when it comes to video game. 😂