Andrè Previn scolds Williams (once again)

TownerFan

He’s an old friend … and so talented. I keep saying, “John, stop it with Star Wars!”

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/arts/andre-previn-says-he-keeps-telling-john-williams-john-stop-it-with-the-star-wars-20171012.html

Nice interview. Of course it's affectionate scolding :)

I like her in some things (she's fine in the LOTRs, for example), but in general I'm not very fond of her voice, and while she's a celebrated Strauss singer (even in German-speaking countries - she seems to be a favourite of Thielemann, among others), I've disliked her in every Strauss role I've heard her in.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So Marian should bow his head is disgrace?

If you are referring to Filmmusic, he is talking about the Star Wars thing.

That André Previn...what a goofball! :)

I'm more surprised that, in a previous interview, Previn was seemingly unaware of the 60+ concert works Williams has written over the years.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So Marian should bow his head is disgrace?

Never.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe her voice is better for drippy Italian opera than German.

Quite possibly, yes. I think it's mostly a language issue that really puts me off (which is why I'm still confused as to why she's so popular among Germans, though). I probably won't become a big fan of her voice, but I'm sure there are roles that I find her better suited for.

I did hear her live earlier this year in Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder. I'll stick to my Janowitz recording.

Seems he's basically saying Williams should get out of his comfort zone, which many would agree with. Some might go further and say his talents are being wasted on movies for adolescents.

Yes, but the enduring nature of Star Wars has allowed Williams what few concert works will allow for: a canvas large enough to write a reasonably large collection of leitmotives. It that regard, it is the defining achievement of his career.

So basically Previn thinks Williams is wasting his talent and time, Williams enjoys what he does, it’s opened more opportunities for him than just sticking to the classical scene and basically tells Previn politely to sod off.