Accidental Tourist concert version?

curlytoot

Has this version of the theme ever been recorded/released commercially? It's gorgeous. If there's any one thing that I wish could have been added to this year's Boston Pops/Keith Lockhart album, it's this.

There is a chamber ensemble version found on Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams album.

The orchestral version has been released by Naxos years ago on The Best of John Williams CD (conducted and apparently arranged by Richard Hayman, performed by *shudder* the Philharmonic Rock Orchestra). I don't know if this is the same version as in the above video, the version JW performed with the Boston Pops on their Japan Tour.

And it is indeed a gorgeous arrangement which I would have loved to hear re-recorded again.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Lights, Camera, Music Vol. 2!!!!

So many unreleased JW concert versions demand this!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Lights, Camera, Music Vol. 2!!!!

Oh man, I wish. So much material that could make for another great album. The other piece I'd love to have a recording of more than anything is "Esplanade Overture".

This is the first time I've heard anything from this score. It's beautiful!

And yeah, add Jane Eyre and The Lost World to the wishlist for the next Keith Lockhart album!

14 hours ago, curlytoot said:

Has this version of the theme ever been recorded/released commercially?

Yes! See below.

14 hours ago, Incanus said:

An orchestral version (just the end credits) has been released by Naxos years ago on The Best of John Williams CD (conducted by Richard Hayman, performed by *shudder* the Philharmonic Rock Orchestra).

Actually the 3rd track on that cd, is really called The Accidental Tourist (Love theme) and it's the version of the youtube video! ;)

50 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yes! See below.

Actually the 3rd track on that cd, is really called The Accidental Tourist (Love theme) and it's the version of the youtube video! ;)

Ah right you are. Right you are. I didn't notice the disc actually has two tracks from the score. I revised my post above accordingly.

The Wakao version is arranged for oboe, harp, piano and string quartet. The Hayman version is the full orchestral suite. So they are quite different. 

The Hayman recording is on Spotify which is apparently arranged by Hayman:

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Wakao version is arranged for oboe, harp, piano and string quartet. The Hayman version is the full orchestral suite. So they are quite different. 

The Hayman recording is on Spotify which is apparently arranged by Hayman.

So JW recorded an arrangement of his music made by someone else? Is that a first?

I've always quite enjoyed that arrangement. 

However, Richard Hayman's Superman and Raiders March arrangements (on this same album) are pretty dire.

It has been quite some time since I checked out that Boston Pops arrangement and haven't compared it with Hayman's. I always assumed JW himself arranged that suite (would seem strange if he didn't) and it is possible Hayman did his own take on it.

Hayman's version is identical to JW's own concert arrangement. The only minor difference is the absence of the suspended cymbal during the big crescendo on the reprise of the main theme. 

Hayman was one of the main Pops arrangers during the JW years in Boston, btw.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Hayman's version is identical to JW's own concert arrangement. The only minor difference is the absence of the suspended cymbal during the big crescendo on the reprise of the main theme. 

Hayman was one of the main Pops arrangers during the JW years in Boston, btw.

Ah I had no idea. Thanks for the info Maurizio! :) 

Actually, Hayman was one of the great responsible for the Boston Pops sound since the Fiedler era. He was first hired by Fiedler to be the orchestra's chief arranger, and if you check those old recordings, most of the times, the arrangements were done by Hayman.

As for the Naxos recording, conducted by Hayman, there are no arranging credits on the actual CD. As there are some minor differences, I would wonder if the arranging credit on Spotify is due to those minor alterations. I believe that the Love Theme arrangement, as prepared by Williams, was premiered on the same year as the film was released.

By the way, isn't the Jaws version the John Cavacas arranged medley?