Jump to content
nightscape94

Williams in Concert with the Philadelphia Orchestra - April 18, 2018

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

All of these concerts prove that Williams knows he has a winner on his hands with his music to TLJ and needs to perform it everywhere. 

 

That's an interesting notion!

 

I do, however, think that it all speaks more to Williams knowing that it would be a hit by virtue of the fact that its music bearing his name and the name "Star Wars." Its like how Howard Shore put The Hobbit in Four Movements at the start of his "Music of Howard Shore" events.

 

I also think that the deeper he goes into this sequel trilogy, the more proud he becomes of his achievement: In terms of the thematic architecture, Star Wars is by far his magnum opus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really like it. And it's a 20 minute piece so it would take up a lot of time out of a concert that I'd have to drive 90 minutes to see.

I try to like it, I put it on every now and then but it doesn't do anything for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

And it's a 20 minute piece so it would take up a lot of time out of a concert that I'd have to drive 90 minutes to see.

 

Some of us would need to spend $2K and 24 hours in a plane for the privilege. 90 minutes is nothing! I spend that long getting to work every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely going to do everything I can to get a ticket for this. I just hope I don't miss whatever date they are released! It will be my first ever Williams conducted concert. I have dreamt of seeing the great man in person conducting and I so damn hope I can grab a ticket for this. I'll be coming from the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The program for the Philadelphia Concert is now listed on the website in the Program Notes PDF:

 

https://www.philorch.org/concert/john-williams-concert?date=2018-04-18_19-30#/

 

The Williams conducted portion contains many of the same selections as the Cleveland concert.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had had more time to talk with him. It felt so strange to sit next to him for so long... but in silence! I only said a few words like "it's an honor" and then the music started. I was so excited but also so nervous! I can talk about his smell, the power of his bifocal lenses, the size of his hands, the unevenness of his beard, but I have no new insight on The Last Jedi!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, The Lost Folio said:

I wish I had had more time to talk with him. It felt so strange to sit next to him for so long... but in silence! I only said a few words like "it's an honor" and then the music started. I was so excited but also so nervous! I can talk about his smell, the power of his bifocal lenses, the size of his hands, the unevenness of his beard, but I have no new insight on The Last Jedi!

 

 

 

 

Really incredible. Would love to hear what went through your mind as you realized what was going on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ricard said:

The review is largely positive, but, man, does the critic come off as an elitist bastard.  His comments on Hymn to New England--are we really doing this in 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom said:

The review is largely positive, but, man, does the critic come off as an elitist bastard.  His comments on Hymn to New England--are we really doing this in 2018?

 

Never thought I'd see the headline "Is John Williams the Next Kendrick Lamar?"

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

The encores were the new Han and Leia, and Imperial March.

 

He seems to be pretty happy with this new arrangement then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or the beginning of Nimbus 2000 was a total wreck? I was expecting John Williams to have to stop and start over from the beginning.

 

The new Han and Leia arrangement was definitely a highlight of the evening. It was played with great sensibility. The JFK suite (especially the last movement) sounded amazing. Denève and the Philadelphians always perform John Williams with incredible attention to detail. Every time they play his music, I hear new things that I had never noticed on the recordings. Living in Philadelphia these years is a blessing!

 

I also noticed a lot of mics above the stage (a lot more than usual): perhaps the concert was recorded for radio/album? 

 

14 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

I was was directly across the aisle from where he sat!  I saw you guys, didn’t realize you were on the board!

 

It was really humbling to sit next to the maestro. You just realize that in many ways, he is just like us. I had never thought of it before, but he just seemed like a very normal man nodding all the time to the music and beating the measure with his leg. I had met John Williams about ten years ago in Boston where I got his autograph (no, he did not recognize me :(), but this time, it felt like watching a concert with an old professor, not with the most famous film composer of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The Lost Folio said:

Is it just me or the beginning of Nimbus 2000 was a total wreck? I was expecting John Williams to have to stop and start over from the beginning.

 

It's not just you; you're right. I leaned over to my friend within a few seconds of them starting and told him that some of the musicians were off a measure. He heard it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Lost Folio said:

It was really humbling to sit next to the maestro. You just realize that in many ways, he is just like us. I had never thought of it before, but he just seemed like a very normal man nodding all the time to the music and beating the measure with his leg. I had met John Williams about ten years ago in Boston where I got his autograph (no, he did not recognize me :(), but this time, it felt like watching a concert with an old professor, not with the most famous film composer of all time.

 

What kind of seats were you sitting in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, The Lost Folio said:

It was really humbling to sit next to the maestro. You just realize that in many ways, he is just like us. I had never thought of it before, but he just seemed like a very normal man nodding all the time to the music and beating the measure with his leg. I had met John Williams about ten years ago in Boston where I got his autograph (no, he did not recognize me :(), but this time, it felt like watching a concert with an old professor, not with the most famous film composer of all time.

 

Where were your seats? Orchestra? Balcony? I'm seeing Williams in June and have 3rd row orchestra seats, wondering if there is a chance I could be sitting near him if he sits in the crowd for the first half again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrScratch said:

 

Where were your seats? Orchestra? Balcony? I'm seeing Williams in June and have 3rd row orchestra seats, wondering if there is a chance I could be sitting near him if he sits in the crowd for the first half again.

The two times John Williams was in Philadelphia recently, he sat in the orchestra during the first half, on the left side, about 8-10 rows from the stage. I've never been to the Baltimore SO (that's the one you're going to, right?), so I can't tell where he would sit. But 3rd row is awesome to see him conduct!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Lost Folio said:

The two times John Williams was in Philadelphia recently, he sat in the orchestra during the first half, on the left side, about 8-10 rows from the stage. I've never been to the Baltimore SO (that's the one you're going to, right?), so I can't tell where he would sit. But 3rd row is awesome to see him conduct!

 

Yes, Baltimore. I'm orchestra left, I'll be keeping an eye out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×