Your Halloween soundtracks and movies

Bespin

I plan to do my Hallowe'en listening and viewing on Saturday night, as it's the one this year that suits me best on which to do so. 

First up will be a Neil Brand Radio 4 prog about the Hammer movie scores. Then, Host (an hour-long thing about a seance conducted over Zoom during lockdown that goes horribly wrong) followed by Stakeland (a post-apocalyptic vampire action-horror) then the night will be rounded off with One Cut Of The Dead, a Japanese comedy-horror about the cast and crew of a zombie B-movie being attacked by 'actual' zombies. These are all first-time watches for me. 

All accompanied by glasses of blood-red Shiraz. The lights will be off ... not only does it add to the atmosphere, it has the added benefit of making trick-or-treaters think that nobody's in (yes, I am a grumpy old man ... what of it, lol?).    

On 25/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

I plan to do my Hallowe'en listening and viewing on Saturday night, as it's the one this year that suits me best on which to do so. 

First up will be a Neil Brand Radio 4 prog about the Hammer movie scores. Then, Host (an hour-long thing about a seance conducted over Zoom during lockdown that goes horribly wrong) followed by Stakeland (a post-apocalyptic vampire action-horror) then the night will be rounded off with One Cut Of The Dead, a Japanese comedy-horror about the cast and crew of a zombie B-movie being attacked by 'actual' zombies. These are all first-time watches for me. 

All accompanied by glasses of blood-red Shiraz. The lights will be off ... not only does it add to the atmosphere, it has the added benefit of making trick-or-treaters think that nobody's in (yes, I am a grumpy old man ... what of it, lol?).    

Well ... I enjoyed the radio prog and Host (jump scares aplenty), but Stakeland was just OK (think The Walking Dead with vamps rather than zombies for the overall tone ... maybe if I'd seen it back when it was released in 2011 I'd have thought more of it) and I found One Cut Of The Dead so smugly meta that I bailed halfway through. Oh well. 

Halloween was hardly reflected in my viewing and listening this year. I only saw 1922, other than that a bunch of romcoms and family films. Started my personal Home Alone OST assembly today. I'm not a horror person.

I'm about to have my annual screening of THE CURSE OF FENRIC. That's the extended version, remixed in 5.1, I'll have you know.

It's not typical Hallowe'en fare, but it's spooky enough for my delicate disposition, and it's among the greatest of all Classic DWs.

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Midnight is my pick for the best episode RTD ever penned and probably the most genuinely scary episode of DW.

Try watching THE WEB OF FEAR when you're 5 years old.

Yetis in the Underground: trouser-wettingly, pant-shitingly scary.

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Watched The Changeling last night ... atmospheric and melancholy, with one particular absolute jolter of a scare involving a mirror.

I love this movie! It's a classy true horror movie with a great actor, I remember the story is very sad, you are right, the atmosphere of this film is very creepy.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...