An Evening with John Williams -- Baltimore 6/13/18

Mari

The John Williams 2018 conducting tour continues in Baltimore:

An Evening with John Williams

This program is currently only available to BSO Subscribers.

Join us for this one-night-only special event! Music Director Marin Alsop and world-renowned, Academy Award-winning composer John Williams lead the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in a program featuring the music of his acclaimed film scores, including selections from Star Wars, Harry Potter, E.T. The Extra-terrestrial, Memoirs of a Geisha, Raiders of the Lost Ark and more.

Plus, for a small additional charge of $500, a limited number of tickets are available for a VIP post-concert Dessert & Champagne Reception with John Williams and Marin Alsop.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe we get to experience this again 5 years after JW last visited Baltimore.......I have the exact same seats as last time.......4th row orchestra, a little in from the aisle on the left side ---- perfect for getting the intimate sound and having a good angle on the Maestro, being less than 20 ft from him.  

His Baltimore concert in 2013 was electric ---- best concert that I have ever attended (and I've attended such ones as him conducting half the concert at Tanglewood last year).   Would there be any way to get a recording of that concert?  

I'm contemplating the post-concert reception, but the fee is so very high...................can anyone recommend this event from past experience at other concerts that had post-concert VIP sessions with JW?  

I've considered calling the orchestra to ask if autographs are permitted and if we get to talk to JW.  I have a feeling the former will not be permitted and the latter cannot be guaranteed.  If I got to meet him again, I'd probably ask about Sugarland Express.

• 5 months later...

Anyone know why these tix are so expensive?    Compared to some of the other venues/orchestras?   

I’m a season subscriber and I paid $175 apiece for my tickets.  I noticed recently they are charging $300/ticket.

Last time he came here it was billed as a concert to benefit the musicians’ pension fund.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-03-14/entertainment/bal-john-williams-to-conduct-benefit-for-bso-pension-fund-20130314_1_pension-fund-baltimore-symphony-bso

Is there any way to get the recording from his concert in Baltimore in 2013?  That was an amazing experience and it would  be very special to have the recording. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The first half is exactly what he conducted in Chicago, and the second half is all different! So great that I'll get to see him conduct a whole new set of pieces.

The printed program lists the second half first (the one conducted by Williams). The first half will be conducted by Marin Alsop. So Williams will conduct the same set as in Chicago. 

Here's the actual order:

“AN EVENING WITH JOHN WILLIAMS”
June 13, 2018, Baltimore, MD
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS and Marin Alsop
Johannes Moser, cello

CONCERT PROGRAM

Marin Alsop conducting

• Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Scherzo from Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha (Sayuri's Theme; Brush on Silk; Chiyo's Prayer; Becoming a Geisha)
  • Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

INTERMISSION

John Williams conducting

• Flight to Neverland from Hook
  • A Child’s Tale: Suite from The BFG
  • Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws
  • With Malice Towards None from Lincoln
  • Three Selections from Star Wars (The Rebellion is Reborn; Rey’s Theme; The Throne Room and Finale)

I thought it peculiar that the Star Wars stuff was in the first half of the program.  I'm really hoping for Superman as an encore.

• 3 weeks later...

No Adventures of Han OR Han Solo & Princess in Baltimore?  Weird!

They were so great in Boston!

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

This is weird but amazing. 

Screenshot_20180531-171947.png

I hope Williams does not dislocate his shoulder while throwing the pitch, thereby rendering him unable to conduct the concert.  That would be terrible!

:folder:

Williams is used to throwing with pinpoint accuracy. He has a killer arm. If a brass player is off slightly during a performance, he can easily hit them all the way from the conductors podium.

I'll be at the Orioles game too.  I drive by the stadium everyday on my way home from work so I'll probably pop into the stadium, watch the pregame and first pitch stuff and maybe stick around for a few innings.  I'll have to record the local broadcast of the game too, in case they talk to him on air.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I hope Williams doesn't get murdered in Baltimore. Williams lives matter.

Baltimore can be quite a fun town, if you... have the right guide.

On ‎1‎.‎6‎.‎2018 at 3:22 AM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I hope Williams doesn't get murdered in Baltimore. Williams lives matter.

Why don't they(Jay) update the user name thread? Is this the one of two Titanic boys?

Awesome that he's throwing out the first pitch! That'll be a nice video. :lol: He hasn't ever done that before, right? I mean, I know he's conducted national anthems before games, but throwing out the first pitch? 

34 minutes ago, Will said:

Awesome that he's throwing out the first pitch! That'll be a nice video. :lol: He hasn't ever done that before, right? I mean, I know he's conducted national anthems before games, but throwing out the first pitch? 

I remember that Williams threw the first pitch at a Boston Red Sox game a few years ago, although I cannot recall the circumstances.  I am sure someone else here will be able to fill in the details.

3 minutes ago, Omen II said:

I remember that Williams threw the first pitch at a Boston Red Sox game a few years ago, although I cannot recall the circumstances.  I am sure someone else here will be able to fill in the details.

That is correct. Can't say the year though... Lockhart and more recently, Andris Nelsons also threw the first pitch a Red Sox games.

I've had to cancel my trip to NYC and Baltimore last minute because of family problems. Very sad about it, but considering the heavy thunderstorms and lightning strikes, plus the flooding in Baltimore, the concert might not even happen anyway. Plus 7 people were shot in Baltimore yesterday and my mother and myself aren't happy walking through the city at night.

Sorry to hear about your last-minute cancellation, but keep the sour grapes to yourself. Others among us are traveling long distances for this concert and will be looking forward to it.

What? I'm simply listing the reasons why the trip wouldn't have been enjoyable as it could have been for me, if I was able to go. I'm allowed to be disappointed. And I'm also allowed to vent my anger at the loss of money I now have to deal with.

Wednesday can't get here soon enough.  I've got tickets in the 4th row center orchestra, exact same seats as I had for the 2013 concert.  Here's hoping that Johnny doesn't have another accidental spill like last time!!!

I'm still contemplating the post-concert reception.  The price of admission is so very high for a cocktail/dessert reception ($500 per ticket). ...................can anyone recommend this event from past experience at other concerts that had post-concert VIP sessions with JW?   Is $1000 for two people worth the price for this event?  I feel like I should be getting a personal lunch w/ JW for that price.