Jump to content
Mari

An Evening with John Williams -- Baltimore 6/13/18

Recommended Posts

What is the name of the music playing from 1:00: 

 

50 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I have 2 questions:

 

1) Why hasn't anyone asked yet what is the music that is playing? :huh:

2) Why does it sound like John Williams but I don't think it's Williams and can't pinpoint it either? :blush2:

I read your comment when I posted mine haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Johnny was introduced for the first pitch they were playing E.T.  I think the team edited out the music and replaced it with stock music for the Facebook post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams has enough accolades to rival Albus Dumbledore, the list of all the awards wouldn't fit onto a chocolate frog card though!

 

 

unnamed (5).gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 5:42 PM, leeallen01 said:

Plus 7 people were shot in Baltimore yesterday and my mother and myself aren't happy walking through the city at night.

 

The vast majority of shootings are gang (black-on-black or Latino-on-Latino) retaliations for previous shootings. I’m not saying you shouldn’t be careful, and I’m not saying they’re not tragedies, but the likelihood of it happening to a visiting Britisher is statistically insignificant. Just FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

When Johnny was introduced for the first pitch they were playing E.T.  I think the team edited out the music and replaced it with stock music for the Facebook post.

It sounds like E.T. but it isn't...?:huh:

like someone is mimicking E.T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

It sounds like E.T. but it isn't...?:huh:

like someone is mimicking E.T.

I think it's Williams but from which movie, or perhaps from concert work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Is Johnny sporting one of his classic turtlenecks under that Orioles shirt?

 

It's been on for so long it's impossible to take it off. They now live in a symbiosis.

 

Great catch, btw! Probably better than I would have done, especially with thousands watching. Is JW known to be interested in baseball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once upon a time he used to wear polo shirts. I noticed ever since his pacemaker operation, he doesn't seem to have appeared in public in anything other than his turtleneck (or tails when conducting).

Also, since the operation, I can't help but notice that his shoulder movement has been inhibited somewhat - he used to be able to make such grand sweep gestures with the baton. Now days he's more restrained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic pics! JW looking excellent and many friends in the orchestra ranks who are huge JW fans.  I know the hall well and must assume the excellent seat you had did not serve you well acoustically.  But I imagine it is more for the experience than the sound...sort of like the Hollywood Bowl.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, karelm said:

 

Fantastic pics! JW looking excellent and many friends in the orchestra ranks who are huge JW fans.  I know the hall well and must assume the excellent seat you had did not serve you well acoustically.  But I imagine it is more for the experience than the sound...sort of like the Hollywood Bowl.

 

 

Yeah, I wanted to be as close to Williams as possible without looking at his backside the entire time.  I sat here the last time I saw him.  I like sitting up front by the string section too, sitting so close I often hear things in performances that I didn’t notice in the recordings.  I also had a great view of Johannes Moser performing the Geisha suite, that was amazing to hear AND see up close.  It’s also neat to see Williams interact with the musicians during and in between pieces.  Marin Alsop was still onstage when the Imperial March began and upon hearing it the crowd burst into applause.  Williams shot Marin a sly sarcastic smile and rolled his eyes a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 7:06 PM, karelm said:

 

Damn, that is VERY good music from someone I've never heard of.  Do you know what this is during the Zachary Quinto scenes?

 

A little late to the party, but that piece ('Out of This World') was actually composed by Benjamin Wallfisch, writing library music under a pseudonym (Lasker being an old family name - his grandmother was the great cellist Anita Lasker-Wallfisch). Years ago a friend had shared the score & recording (it does read Wallfisch on the conductor score). Thanks thx for sharing - I'd never been able to track down the actual library release :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, martybmusic said:

 

A little late to the party, but that piece ('Out of This World') was actually composed by Benjamin Wallfisch, writing library music under a pseudonym (Lasker being an old family name - his grandmother was the great cellist Anita Lasker-Wallfisch). Years ago a friend had shared the score & recording (it does read Wallfisch on the conductor score). Thanks thx for sharing - I'd never been able to track down the actual library release :) 

 

Thanks for the inside info, Marty!! Love your and your brother's Underscore podcast and was very happy to see/hear it return.  Looking forward to more of your Star Wars insights. :music:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thx99 said:

 

Thanks for the inside info, Marty!! Love your and your brother's Underscore podcast and was very happy to see/hear it return.  Looking forward to more of your Star Wars insights. :music:

You're too kind 😊- thanks so much for listening. We're relieved and thrilled to be back up and running. Can't wait to share what's ahead for Star Wars. We actually chatted with Alan Snelling (assistant Engineer to Eric Tomlinson) who shared some really touching moments from the session that we'll be sharing throughout the SW episodes. Hope you like it!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×