NEW | "John Williams: Conductor" 20 CD box coming from Sony on January 2018

Bespin

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Maybe they adjusted the playback volumes between the CDs to be at approx. the same level?

I don' think, but I just compared "Star Wars Trilogy" and "Cinema Sereneade" so far. 

Good idea, I will check the two first Spielberg/Williams...

BTW, it's not just a question of "playback volume", it's more a compression thing.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So the dynamic range has been reduced?

Finally NO.

But I know what to do in Audacity to correct that.

Ok I did it... 20 CD... 20 tracks.  A kind of sampler of this wonderfull boxset if you want to start somewhere. :lovethis:

01 Andrew Lloyd Webber Trilogy

02 Throne Room And Finale (Star Wars)

03 E.T.- Adventures on Earth

04 I Love A Parade

05 Make Our Garden Grow

06 Somewhere In My Memory (Home Alone)

07 The Shadow Of Your Smile

08 Sophisticated Lady

09 Born on the Fourth of July- Theme

10 It Don't Mean a Thing (with Nancy Wilson)

11 Jurassic Park - Theme

12 'Bugler's Dream'' and ''Olympic Fanfare and Theme'

13 Schindler's List- Theme

14 The Five Sacred Trees (Bassoon Concerto)

15 Star Wars- Main Title

16 I Got Rhythm

17 Laura

18 Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

19 The Mission Theme (NBC News)

20 Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from ''Catch Me If You Can'' - Movement 1

Yesterday on Classic FM, they played a great refreshing playlist from the "Conductor's boxset"! :lovethis:

01 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Imperial March

02 Star Wars: A New Hope - Princess Leia

03 Star Wars: A New Hope - Cantina Band

04 Colonel Bogey

05 Under the Double Eagle

06 Stars and Stripes Forever

07 The Adventures of Robin Hood - Marian & Robin Love Theme

08 Wuthering Heights - Theme

09 Fantasy on Porgy and Bess

10 Festive Overture Opus 96

11 Lawrence of Arabia - Overture

12 Out Of Africa - Main Title

13 Dances With Wolves - John Dunbar Theme

14 Jaws - Theme

15 Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

16 Quiet City

17 Make Our Garden Grow - Candide

• 5 months later...

So here's my first quick thoughts about every CD in this, will update and conclude as I go through.

01 - Music of the Night - 7/10

Perfectly fine, won't be played that much. I'd have probably enjoyed it more if I knew more than 4 of the represented songs.

02 - Skywalker Symphony - 9/10 (Have heard before)

Fantastic, but Williams conducting SW was never going to be anything else. This sports my absolute favourite Imperial March, there's something about it that makes it absolutely badass. Jabba is too quick, Asteroid Field is a little slow.

03 - Spielberg I. - 9/10 (Have heard and do own already)

Pretty good album with interesting arangements like the album versions of Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue mashed together. See guys, this is what I meant when complaining about A Life in Music - instead of going the 100% safe, but shorter route, this one has the theme from Always and Sugarland Express, or Cadillac of the Skies. I'm sure neither of these are what general audiences think of when thinking about either Spielberg, Williams or their collaborations specifically, but they're still here to broaden their horizons.

Music of the night is not my favourite one either.

But I absolutely love the Jabba Theme on the Star Wars reprise album. For me, it's the definitive version.

Yesterday I was listening to I love a Parade, this one is really enjoying from the beginning to the end!

I’ve been poking around this set. Lots of good stuff. It seems to me that Skywalker Symphony and The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III are essential, and The Hollywood Sound is great fun, too!

04 - I Love a Parade - 9/10

I'm a huge sucker for marches, this is damn good. Though it got a bit too much eventually.

05 - The Green Album - 8/10 (Modified from 7/10 in hindsight)

I had no clue what to epect from this, even being bored to tears wasn't off the table, but it's actually not bad at all. It's not my style but perfectly listenable.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

05 - The Green Album - 7/10

I had no clue what to epect from this, even being bored to tears wasn't off the table, but it's actually not bad at all. It's not my style but perfectly listenable.

The fourth track is pretty catchy, though ridiculous. I love it! 

Oh yeah, that was probably my favourite, too. Along with 7. And 10. And 11. And 14 with its full-blown Western!

06 - Joy to the World - 8/10

Not the perfect time of the year to listen to it while melting in 35°C, but a fine, fun album.

07 - Night and Day - 9/10

Now that's the good stuff!

08 - Unforgettable - 6/10

It was just a bit too mellow and -dare I say - forgettable for me on this first listen.

09 - Music for Stage and Screen - 9/10

Didn't have high hopes for this, but turned out to love almost all of it! Wasn't a huge fan of Track 11, and I'm not sure Reivers needed that narration.

10 - It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing - 10/10? (Have heard before)

I could safely say this is my shit. Sing, Sing, Sing steals the show naturally, but there's so much more good here! So far, this is the one I could listen to any day and be 100% entertained by it, so I dared give it the perfect score.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

10 - It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing - 10/10? (Have heard before)

I could safely say this is my shit. Sing, Sing, Sing steals the show naturally, but there's so much more good here! So far, this is the one I could listen to any day and be 100% entertained by it, so I dared give it the perfect score.

It's a fun, throwback listen, but I prefer the similar 1984 Williams/BPO album Swing, Swing, Swing recorded for Philips, not least because it includes Williams' own great "Sing, Sing, Sing" pastiche.  I do weirdly kinda miss when pops orchestra albums targeting old folks were released every year.  Dead people don't buy CDs, unfortunately.

R-8086944-1454873788-1451.jpeg.jpg

Outside of Music for Stage and Screen (and the S/W Collab albums of course, which I almost consider separate somehow), I do vastly prefer the Philips era of BPO albums to the Sony era.  Of course, after the mid-90s most of his Sony albums were no longer with the BPO.

11 - Williams on WIlliams - 7/10

The weakest of the Spielberg Trilogy. On teir own, every track is pretty good (though the Dialogue is very synthy, the choir is interesting), but the selection (too much Hook, 2 scores have 2 tracks each, 5 scores have already been represented on the previous disc) and the arrangement (every transition to and from the Schindler tracks is jarring) are not that great. Maybe they should've waited a few years with this disc and include Lost World and A.I which are completely left out of the trilogy. Hindsight helps of course.

12 - Summon the Heroes - 8/10

Pretty good one, the orchestral Vangelis tracks are most welcome (though I like Chariots of Fire much more, the original synth version of that is way too overplayed). Bugler's Dream/Olympic Fanfare and Theme is up there among some of my favourite compositions of all time.

13 - Cinema Serenade - 6/10

Not my style at all, but much more tolerable than I feared.

14 - The Five Sacred Trees - 9/10

The concerto and the symphony are both great, and the two other tracks are good, too.

15 - The Hollywood Sound - 7/10

A good selection, but not much personality.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

15 - The Hollywood Sound - 7/10

A good selection, but not much personality.

Either the second or third Williams release I ever bought (memory's a bit hazy on which) was the John Williams Greatest Hits compilation from 1999 so I have a lot of affection for the specific recordings of the 3 Williams pieces on The Hollywood Sound, since they were the versions included on the Greatest Hits set.

I don't think Flying and Jaws are much different from the Spielberg/Williams recordings, and there's not much one could vary on the Star Wars Main Title.

16 - Gershwin Fantasy - 8/10

LOVE the Fantasy and the Preludes, but by the songs, the violin schtick got old and they were all mushing into each other.

17 - Cinema Serenade 2 - 6/10

I powered through the first one as background noise, but I was just about to take this one out until The Quiet Man started - finally, joyous, rythmic melody instead of drawn-out vibrato wailing! It reminded me after the first 4 tracks that I do very much like the violin in the right context. Then I admit I just skipped through the rest.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

17 - Cinema Serenade 2 - 6/10

I powered through the first one as background noise, but I was just about to take this one out until The Quiet Man started - finally, joyous, rythmic melody instead of drawn-out vibrato wailing! It reminded me that I do very much like the violin in the right context. Then I admit I just skipped through the rest.

So it's not necessarily the great old romantic melodies themselves that you don't enjoy, but these specific arrangements for featuring solo violin?  Because boy are there some amazing classic themes on these two albums

I guess so. I did notice some nice themes in the first one (which I actually did listen to). The only one I know and could recognize was Schindler, though, and the only movie I've seen (though some others like Casablanca and Robin Hood are lined up for viewing one day). Yeah, I guess this specific style of violin playing and arrangement is just not for me, and very much so in my current mood.

I still give 6 to all of these as minimum, because I allow this much objectivity - they're all written, played and recorded very well, then 6-10 is my subjective opinion.

Oh yeah, I do actually know and love that one, too! And much, much prefer the full orchestral version.

Just now, Holko said:

Oh yeah, I do actually know and love that one, too! And much, much prefer the full orchestral version.

OK cool just checking ;).

I do really like some of the performances on these two albums, but I very much only ever listen to those 3 or 4 I like a lot.

I usually love more calm albums, so the two Cinema Serenade albums are on my top 10.

The only track I can't bare on the first Cinema Serenade is the Far and Away arrangement. The first theme played at this speed, on the violin, and by Perlman, it's totally annoying.

18 - Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John WIlliams - 6/10

OK, this time it's the pieces that are being played (wonderfully) that are not my style at all.

19 - American Journey - 9/10

AJ itself is fantastic, the other tracks are damn good too.

20 - Spielberg/Williams III - 10/10 (Have heard and owned before)

Going out with a bang! Apart from many highlights, this also has a very coherent, pleasant tone. My favourite of the Spielberg albums. I've been humming Dry Your Tears, Afrika for 2 days now, looking forward to getting to it, and now it's blasting full volume for the 5th time. If all else were shit on this album, Afrika and Escapades would still push it up to a freaking 9!

So what's the results of this box?

6/10   -  4 - Either not my style or I didn't listen to them in the correct mood - right now, Unforgettable is the only one right now I could maybe see growing on me in the future.

7/10   -  3 - These may get a listen or two, but I wasn't overly enamoured by them.

8/10   -  4 - Now these I liked very much, either overall or for many good tracks, but something holds them back a little bit. Green Album got moved up here in hindsight.

9/10   -  7 - LOVED these. Coherent albums, or overwhelmingly great tracks, will listen a lot! Spielberg I. got moved up here in hindsight.

10/10 -  2 - This rating is basically used to place these two albums over the others.

So, at 2.55€ a piece, 10.2€ (20%) was "wasted" (using the term loosely here), 7.65€ (15%) is in the category where I can't complain, it was only 2.55 a piece after all, and 33.15€ (65%) was spent so well that I feel bad for underpaying so hard. :P I feel quite comfortable with this.

But statistics and love/like/meh ratings are not the only way to evaluate big sets like this. How many surprise hits were hidden in here, showing me new music I never would've looked for? I place them on a more special spot because they broaden my tastes and horizons, and introduce me to new styles.

13 albums got 8 or above, 9 of those I didn't hear before.

I Love a Parade - I knew I'd love this one, not much of a surprise there.

The Green Album I didn't expect to like, but it showed me Americana can be exciting and interesting, bonus surprise point!

Joy to the World was another sure hit.

Night and Day - I do know quite a bit of Sinatra from my childhood, so I also expected to like this.

Music for Stage and Screen could've been anything but I adore it all. Complete surprise, bonus point.

Summon the Heroes is a classic compilation of heroic epicness, I was always going to at least like it. There were some unexpected gems in there, though, like the Vangelis arrangements. Half a surprise point.

The Five Sacred Trees never sounded like something I'd absolutely have to check out. Well that was completely and utterly wrong. This one gets the biggest surprise point, represented by 1.5.

Gershwin Fantasy - I had a feeling I may be interested this, so half a surprise point for the Fantasy's and the 3 Preludes' awesomeness.

American Journey - I didn't expect it to be THIS good, so half a surprise point.

Therefore, we have collected 5 Surprise points from 9 albums, which is damn good.

And how's the set and packaging itself? Well, I do like that the booklet told me some genuinely new information for once. I also like the outer box, and how the front covers are all replicated on the cardboard sleeves. These flimsy sleeves are not the best solution (I'd have preferred the thicker Spielberg/Williams trilogy-style sleeves), but they get the job done and don't waste space. What I like less is the plain back covers (why not replicate them, too?) and how none of them have the runtime. Even in the damn booklet, only a few random albums have the runtime listed. WHY? And why those? What the hell? Either do all or none! I don't know if the original releases had any liner notes, but there were 1 or 2 where I could have used them - Why do I have to Google what the hell a Craeb Uisnig is to get the composer's intended context for his piece on an official release? Instead of the booklet listing every track again, put the complete and individual runtimes on the bleak back covers, and replicate the notes in the booklet!

Overall, I'm really glad I bought this.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

20 - Spielberg/Williams III - 10/10 (Have heard and owned before)

Going out with a bang! Apart from many highlights, this also has a very coherent, pleasant tone. My favourite of the Spielberg albums. I've been humming Dry Your Tears, Afrika for 2 days now, looking forward to getting to it, and now it's blasting full volume for the 5th time. If all else were shit on this album, Afrika and Escapades would still push it up to a freaking 9!

The one I have agreed most with you on!  My most listened to Williams album of the past 3 years, easily!  Just a great, great album front to back.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The one I have agreed most with you on!  My most listened to Williams album of the past 3 years, easily!  Just a great, great album front to back.

You are aware it came out 1.5 years ago, right? :) 

1 minute ago, Holko said:

You are aware it came out 1.5 years ago, right? :) 

I know, but it's been a renewed period of activity ever since The Force Awakens came out.  So over that "2015-present Williams Comeback" period, this has been my most listened to album!

• 4 weeks later...

Of course they were too cheap for that.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, Holko said:

I don't know if the original releases had any liner notes, but there were 1 or 2 where I could have used them - Why do I have to Google what the hell a Craeb Uisnig is to get the composer's intended context for his piece on an official release? Instead of the booklet listing every track again, put the complete and individual runtimes on the bleak back covers, and replicate the notes in the booklet!

As I have all the albums for a long time, I didn't rush to buy this box, waiting for some nice promotion. It was worth the wait, because a few months ago I was able to buy it for the equivalent of 40$. It looks very nice on the shelf, but I don't intend to open it. I saw the booklet in the copy I bought for a friend, though. There are no original liner notes, but it is thick and contains all the basic information plus of course the original covers.

• 2 years later...

NO.

You need to have this essential album:

R-619617-1139333444.jpeg.jpg

As well, as the Joshua Bell one, Cinema Serenade with Perlman, the one with Yo-Yo Ma...

I mean, HELLO???? :P

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

NO.

You need to have this essential album:

R-619617-1139333444.jpeg.jpg

As well, as the Joshua Bell one, Cinema Serenade with Perlman, the one with Yo-Yo Ma...

I mean, HELLO???? :P

This is why I asked. The Sony box contains from the Perlman album "Theme from Sabrina" and the Far and Away track, which are to my knowledge the only Williams compositions on the album.

And it contains a star wars album, but probably not the one you show here? Ok. The Yo-Yo Ma album I have anyway. Like the American Journey and the 3-CD Spielberg box. And I think, the Joshua Bell album does not contain any Williams compositions.

So let me be more precise. The Sony 4 CD box plus the 3-CD spielbrg box plus american journey and the Yo-Yo Ma album cover more or less all Williams compositions of the conductor box, except the Star Wars album wich is in fact obviously a different one than the one in the 4 CD box.

The Skywalker Symphony album isn't very good, IMO.

Of course, some members on this forum say everything with JW's name attached is worth owning. But if you're a discerning listener, there's better SW compilations out there.

@GerateWohl

There's the composition "Pops on the march" and "Midway March" on I love a Parade.

There are new recordings from Home Alone on Joy the world.

There's the Reivers suite on Music for Stage...

There are new recordings of Jaws, E.T. and Star Wars main themes on The Hollywood Sound.

The best value is to drop $70 and get the 20CD box instead of grabbing 7 albums for $10 each.  You're gonna end up wanting more than whatever you initially think the 7 most important ones are

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Skywalker Symphony album isn't very good, IMO.

Of course, some members on this forum say everything with JW's name attached is worth owning. But if you're a discerning listener, there's better SW compilations out there.

I love this album and I don't know a better version of Jabba the Hutt, the "solo" part have been improved in this recording, comparing to all the previous versions (and there are not many).