Mark Mothersbaugh's THOR RAGNAROK

toothless

Me too.  I'll probably have to relisten to the suite a time or two more to get the melodies.  I really enjoyed the synth touches and the female vocal, although the underlying orchestral arrangements are bog standard MCU generic.

I would also just like to point out that this OST has a track titled "Devil's Anus."  That's a thing.

I really like what I'm hearing ! Thor meets meets Blade Runner meets Doctor Strange. I think It'll work really well within the movie. It's weird and fresh. And finally, hearing some themes from the first Thor movie !

13 minutes ago, toothless said:

And finally, hearing some themes from the first Thor movie !

I'm not very familiar with Doyle's score.  I only listened to it once outside the film.  Where do you hear references to it?

Guys, this score is great!  Lots of fun.

I don't think I've ever heard another Mark Mothersbaugh score before; Does he have other scores similar to this?

Oh right!  For some reason I always associate Desplat with Anderson, but I see he didn't take over from Mothersbaugh until Mr. Fox

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think I've ever heard another Mark Mothersbaugh score before; Does he have other scores similar to this?

I believe he did LEGO Movie and LEGO Ninjago Movie.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Aside from Mothersbaugh scores for animated movies, this is actually his first "blockbuster score", so not exactly. It's a fun score though. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Is it just me or is what I think is the main theme rooted in the Silvestri Avengers theme?  Not a copy at all, just harmonically linked.  Maybe I'm hearing things.

They sound similar and it wouldn't surprise me. Seems like every MCU score is supposed to be make some sort of reference now to The Avengers. 

9 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Some parts are very Horner/Elfman-esque

Exact. The way the synthesizers are used in "Thor: Ragnarock" track very much resemble the works of Horner and Silvestri with the same instrument in the 80's. When I heard the first thing that came to my mind was this:

It is a ballsy rendering of Doyle's Thor theme - in the triumphant mode as heard in the great "Thor Kills The Destroyer" cue.

Such a great theme. Shame they never used it again (until now) since the first Thor.

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm surprised Marvel even let Mothersbaugh use it, considering how they seem to be against recurring themes in general. 

It is perplexing... 3 iron movies... 3 themes for iron Man... 3 Thor films.. 3 Thor themes... 3 cap movies... 3 motifs/themes... 2 avengers... 2 themes (though closely related).

I think the Spiderman and Dr. strange films will have musical continuity because of our savior the Lord Gia.

I think I'm a little less enamored of this score than y'all are.  Hopefully it grows on me.  I appreciate the musical colors that set it apart, but it still sounds a little boring to me orchestrally.  Like I'm not getting an individual voice out of this score, more of a mishmash of other composers.

There have been several score I thought were boring until I saw the movie though.  Context is key.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think I'm a little less enamored of this score than y'all are.  Hopefully it grows on me.  I appreciate the musical colors that set it apart, but it still sounds a little boring to me orchestrally.  Like I'm not getting an individual voice out of this score, more of a mishmash of other composers.

There have been several score I thought were boring until I saw the movie though.  Context is key.

I think the key is "different". In the case of marvel movies, I've come to a point where I only go in theaters for Avengers AND "different" movies. For example, I had no interest for GotG2. But This film, Thor, intrigues me so I'll certainly see in. It's the same thing for the soundtracks. You can hear the composer made something different because I have a feeling that somehow the movie will be a fun roller coaster different from any other marvel. Wait & see. Anyway, it's a fun score !

As it seems I am destined to be the odd man out, I am the one person on the board who loved GOTG2, which I think is quite an extraordinarily personal movie for a major blockbuster.  Obviously the style is completely different, but it's very Spielberg-esque in the way the director is able to tell a personal story on a large canvas.

12 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It is perplexing... 3 iron movies... 3 themes for iron Man... 3 Thor films.. 3 Thor themes... 3 cap movies... 3 motifs/themes... 2 avengers... 2 themes (though closely related).

I think the Spiderman and Dr. strange films will have musical continuity because of our savior the Lord Gia.

Those Avengers theme are almost basically the same, Elfman's rendition is just a variation. It's the only true recurring Marvel theme throughout all the films anyway.

I do expect Spiderman and Dr. Strange to have the same themes in the sequel, but if Gia gets the boot, or doesn't return, then expect the new composer to give an interview where he says "Spider-Man is now a new character, he deserves a new theme".

It's a shame themes are no priority to marvel because Thor 1 had some pretty good ones…

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As it seems I am destined to be the odd man out, I am the one person on the board who loved GOTG2, which I think is quite an extraordinarily personal movie for a major blockbuster.  Obviously the style is completely different, but it's very Spielberg-esque in the way the director is able to tell a personal story on a large canvas.

Also, I did not watch GotG2 because GotG1 is one of the worst marvel, in my opinion. And I know it makes me the odd man :lol:

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

You're not alone. I was a big fan of GOTG V2. A lot of good character moments I appreciated, and I liked how prominent the idea of family was, in the film. It was good. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Not around here!

Maybe we can all agree Thor 2 was awful then ? :P

EDIT: See I can even remember its title ! I do liked some of Tyler's theme for the film though.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh geez.  I'm not doing this for show, I swear.  I thought Thor 2 was a lot better than the first.... :blush:

Not saying it's great or amazing, but I liked it.  It was alright.

:lol:

Has a dated sound to it, but nowhere as generic sounding as Doyle’s and Tyler’s scores were.

The Arena cue is ok.

21 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

4 Iron Man themes. And only one of them appears in more than one film and also  the only one used by more than one composer.

So only the Avengers and Cap themes were used by more than two composers (four composers in both cases).

Oh and you're forgetting Christophe Beck is coming back for Ant-Man and the Wasp. And that would one of the better Marvel themes.

Karol

On 20/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, Disco Stu said:

As it seems I am destined to be the odd man out, I am the one person on the board who loved GOTG2, which I think is quite an extraordinarily personal movie for a major blockbuster. 

Oh, you're not the only one. It's my favourite of the whole bunch by a considerable margin.

Re: Ragnarok score. Lots of fun.

How do you not like this score? The orchestral writing is solid - you hear the instruments, you even hear an oboe get solo time! When was the last time you had that? And the retro music is from a guy that invented that music - it's not like he is lacking credibility! That is Devo in orchestral action right there.

This is a dream come true to be honest. Goldenthalesque bombast with awesome synth work that harkens back to Tangerine Dream and even Jerry Goldsmith at times. Listen to the opening 30 seconds. What score does that remind you of? Big themes that actually work and develop. What is the problem? Not enough Tyler repetition or burby brass?

To me, it is astonishing that the two best scores of this year - well, frankly only good blockbuster scores - come from pop or rock stars - Mothersbaugh or Bates. The rest is nonsense. RGW's WW was wallpaper etc.

well I just saw the movie in IMAX

wish the music wasnt so buried underneath soundeffects as it is with most movies there (outside of BR2049 and Dunkirk)

biggest surprise was that the score actually quoted The Dark World (to hilarious effect) and also that the movie used the immigrants song

On 10/21/2017 at 7:46 AM, Thor said:

I kinda like the synth bits, although I wish they'd been "purified" more. The rest, I didn't care for at all.

Thor didn't care for Thor.  :lol2:

4 hours ago, thestat said:

How do you not like this score? The orchestral writing is solid - you hear the instruments, you even hear an oboe get solo time! When was the last time you had that? And the retro music is from a guy that invented that music - it's not like he is lacking credibility! That is Devo in orchestral action right there.

This is a dream come true to be honest. Goldenthalesque bombast with awesome synth work that harkens back to Tangerine Dream and even Jerry Goldsmith at times. Listen to the opening 30 seconds. What score does that remind you of? Big themes that actually work and develop. What is the problem? Not enough Tyler repetition or burby brass?

To me, it is astonishing that the two best scores of this year - well, frankly only good blockbuster scores - come from pop or rock stars - Mothersbaugh or Bates. The rest is nonsense. RGW's WW was wallpaper etc.

Big themes?

On 10/20/2017 at 0:40 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Rugrats

In high school I would stay up really late and just be zoned out in bed watching cartoons into the early hours of the morning. One groggy night I flipped the channel to Nickelodeon and Rugrats was starting, a show I had watched as a kid but hadn't seen in years. When his name popped up in the credits my half-asleep mind was blown.

46 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

In high school I would stay up really late and just be zoned out in bed watching cartoons into the early hours of the morning. One groggy night I flipped the channel to Nickelodeon and Rugrats was starting, a show I had watched as a kid but hadn't seen in years. When his name popped up in the credits my half-asleep mind was blown.

My half-asleep mind was blown reading this post.