Patrick Doyle's MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (2017)

Jay

Hopefully this has a lot of vintage "Victorian mystery music", or whatever it's called. I always like that kind of music, though I've only heard it in a few films.

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Zemeckis & Silvestri!  Come on!

The Coen Brothers & Burwell :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...after one listen-through, I'm rather disappointed. Not at ALL what I had expected. Lots of slow-moving, tentative chords, some slight "modern" percussive beats -- very little of the quintessential, "British", elegant melodies I had hoped for. :(

I like the main theme! It is nice. Though better expressed in The Orient Express than the suite where you realize there isn't much more to it.

The theme is nice but the concert presentation in the suite leaves something to be desired. Williams always structures his concert suites so that they have a narrative and momentum... They build and build and then crescendo. This one kinda just goes on.

But a nice little theme. Will play well in the movie over I am assuming numerous travel and landscape montages.

I don't hear much Newman in this. Rather, most of it sounds like bland thriller/crime music that goes nowhere. But there are definitely highlights, like the long "Justice" track (which at least HINTS at the wistful melancholy Doyle is so good at), the main theme, "The Wailing" and the suite, for example. I guess maybe there's a decent 30-minute prorgam in here somewhere.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Daisy Ridley's in this? Why didn't Williams muscle Doyle off the project?!

On 5/31/2017 at 10:39 PM, Jay said:

When he told the story again about telling Kathleen Kennedy he didn't want anyone else writing music for Daisy, I thought he was going to announce he secretly scored Murder on the Orient Express! 

On 6/1/2017 at 4:54 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

He wouldn't fuck Doyle again, would he?

Pleasant is a good word for it I think. 

Irish Times gave it 2/5. He’s usually spot on to be fair to him but he can be harsh on something that might be 2 hours of good fun. 

4 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Sorry, but that’s not how the album producer intended for you to listen to the album. You don’t have the right to compile a 30 minute version .

This again. I should make a FAQ out of this.

I've never ever claimed that a composer-produced album automatically is immune to criticism. I only require that some thought has been put into "listening purposes" in the first place, and then I'll evaluate it from there. In this case, I don't think the score is strong enough to warrant the running time. And the sequencing could have been better.

When there's a C&C only, or when the "listening-produced" album is not my liking (like in this case), I try to make my own playlists.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:41 PM, Thor said:

This again. I should make a FAQ out of this.

I've never ever claimed that a composer-produced album automatically is immune to criticism. I only require that some thought has been put into "listening purposes" in the first place, and then I'll evaluate it from there. In this case, I don't think the score is strong enough to warrant the running time. And the sequencing could have been better.

When there's a C&C only, or when the "listening-produced" album is not my liking (like in this case), I try to make my own playlists.

Making playlists - that's progress!

So you don't feel the score is strong enough to warrant the running time... I'd probably agree with you in a lot of cases. But it doesn't mean Doyle didn't put thought into the album; it just means he had a different idea to you. You've got to deal with the problem in the same way others do - identify the bits that aren't working for you and remove them. I can't see how it can be argued that that's the composer's job - how do they know what you will find interesting?

• 3 months later...

Saw the film on a flight.

Wonderful score. The main train theme is a lovely if slightly cloying adventure theme.

Lots of landscape shots for the theme to unfurl in full concert presentation. Magnificent.

The real killer though is the Armstrong family theme. Wasn't prepared for the emotional impact it has in the film. The melody was haunting me kept coming up in my head for an entire day afterwards.

This is an example of a very well scored movie with memorable themes.

Bravo!

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Saw the film on a flight.

Wonderful score. The main train theme is a lovely if slightly cloying adventure theme.

Lots of landscape shots for the theme to unfurl in full concert presentation. Magnificent.

The real killer though is the Armstrong family theme. Wasn't prepared for the emotional impact it has in the film. The melody was haunting me kept coming up in my head for an entire day afterwards.

This is an example of a very well scored movie with memorable themes.

Bravo!

Couldn't agree with you more !

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm late to the party... again.

Do we agree that "Justice" use all the tricks we already know... That it pulls all the right strings... That it's perhaps like an Ave Maria... but in sooo much better!

WOW!!! I MEAN, REALLY WOW!!!

:heart::heart::heart: