• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know this score.

I really love the gorgeous flute solo toward the end, but other than that one track, I'm not really familiar with this score.

Just wondering whether somebody considers this one of their favorite dramatic scores by JW.

5 minutes ago, phbart said:

John Williams doesn't make me sleep...

What an endorsement! 😂 

Solid 3.5 stars. It's probably too muted for many to make much of a splash, but the mix of americana and gloomy urban moods (uncharacteristically electronic-heavy for JW, that alone accounts for some praise) works. It only falters a bit during the more cliched string adagio cues but in between 'The Football Game' and 'Saying the Rosary' there's more interest than in all his last three scores for Spielberg combined.

Solid middle of the pack score. Honestly I probably come back to this one from time to time just to hear the electronic JW rock out session. You know what time to give it a spin again. 

1 minute ago, TheTennisBallKid said:

The Football Game is what the Sunday Night Football theme should have been.

Ha!! Now there’s a “score restore” project for someone!

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Great score. Here's a thread I did a couple of months ago:

So which are your favourite tracks or moments from this score? And why?

I love this score, but it's hard to rate it, and gave it a rank among all the scores John Williams wrote.

It's not a five stars, that's sure.

Learning the Hard Way has some unusual urban horror sound like Howard Shore's Cosmopolis. There are many outstanding tracks on this soundtrack. I like those subtle depressing scores like Sleepers and Presumed Innocent. Actually, I revisit them quite often.

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Learning the Hard Way has some unusual urban horror sound like Howard Shore's Cosmopolis. There are many outstanding tracks on this soundtrack. I like those subtle depressing scores like Sleepers and Presumed Innocent. Actually, I revisit them quite often.

Angela's Ashes, Munich, and The Book Thief might also be in the same category.... Although these are somewhat superior (arguably) to Sleepers. 

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

So which are your favourite tracks or moments from this score? And why?

I go into some of that in the other thread.

13 minutes ago, Romão said:

I do! It's my favorite JW score. 5 stars all the way

I read your gushing review in the other tread. I'm not that much of a fan of this score (yet), but your love and enthusiasm for this score is infectious! :lol::up:

Hell's Kitchen was both a surprise encore and one of the highlights of Williams 1998 Barbican concerts with the LSO, 

Sleepers at Wilkinson is also great! Maybe it has to do with the fact that it's the very first track, but this and the last track are my most listened tracks from the Sleepers album. 

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I do! It's my favorite JW score. 5 stars all the way

Your enthusiasm for Sleepers was what got me listening to it years ago.

I really like this score. It's a 4 to 4,5 stars from me. Dark, moody but very different urban drama score from Williams. Highlights off the top of my head include Hell's Kitchen, Saying the Rosary, The Trip to Wilkinson, Learning the Hard Way, and Reunion and Finale.

I really don't understand how a score with genuinely moving moments like Always gets written off by the majority of people on this forum, but then everyone is raving about Sleepers.

I barely ever listened to this since I first got the CD in 1996.  I've been listening to it more ever since Lockhart recorded the Finale.  It's a solid 3 star score.

Handful of good cues makes it worth a listen or two.  3 out of 5 seems fair for the overall.  It's nice to hear something a bit different than his usual output.  Every now and then I'll get an urge to listen to a piece from it, like the first rate "Hell's Kitchen", the refreshing "Saying the Rosary", or the near-rock of "The Football Game".

14 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I've been listening to it more ever since Lockhart recorded the Finale.

Wait what?

Where can I find this recording?