What’s The Last Score You’ve REMOVED From Your Collection

BLUMENKOHL

Some days I look at all the CDs on my shelf and I sigh. Other days I look at all the music in my iTunes library. And I sigh. Most of it just isn’t that good. Some of it’s good, but I never listen to it. So why do I keep it around? It takes up space. Some take up physical. Others take up digital. Some both. And still others, the ones I aspire to listen to but never do just take up annoying mental space.  

I never listen to them. Every time I think I’ll listen to something one day, I don’t. 

I’ve acquired so many albums. But I come back to so few of them. I’m never going to fully appreciate The Birdman of Alcatraz. I’m never going to give a full listen to Michael Collins without giving up a third of the way in. 

I haven’t listened to The Spirits Within in a decade. Jane Eyre is a dull bore. 

So why the fuck am I dedicating physical, digital, and mental space to them? 

No more! 

This thread is dedicated to the latest things you’ve REMOVED from your soundtrack collection! Out with ye wasteful demons! Cleanse your collections! 

I don't live in a broom closet. I have enough space for 100,000 CDs if I wanted (currently I only own around 1,000, however). I have never "removed" a soundtrack from my collection, physical CD or digital.

What I constantly get rid of are old books, though. Because most books I only read once or twice.

I actually like the idea of a "fluid" collection, the idea of acquiring an experience through an object (like a CD or video game disc, etc.), and once I find that experience to no longer be relevant to where I'm at in life, passing it on, either to a friend, Internet buyer, secondhand store, etc. 

When I moved several months ago I went through a huge purge; on the music side, I got a rid of a number of Elfman soundtracks, CDs from Joni Mitchell, Vangelis, etc.  

I sold most my physical collection between 2001 and 2008 (first went the notably ugly Varéses), now i only weed out redundant or boring cues from my digital collection. The last one was called 'Addio Fratello Crudele'.

Interesting about Elfman. He and Goldenthal have both been major targets of removal for me. 

Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

When I moved several months ago I went through a huge purge; on the music side, I got a rid of a number of Elfman soundtracks, CDs from Joni Mitchell, Vangelis, etc.  

Anything that had the names Rabin, Zimmer and Djawandi. Although that was a few years ago when cleaned out a bunch of junk I don’t know what possessed me to buy. 

I didn’t get rid of the Zimmer CD that came with Intrada’s White Fang or Djawandi’s MOH score from the box set.

When I started listening to film music I started buying soundtracks from a lot of composers. Now I've focused on few composers, but I have many soundtracks of them. So I sold a lot of CDs of composers that just helped me being introduced in film music.

I’ve gone through a couple major digital purges, mostly of early 00s bootleg trading and scores I’d never listen to. Sadly I’ve probably acquired most of them back over the years. I’ve been feeling that another one is due. Why do I need 4 versions of the Speed Racer scoring sessions, none of which I listen to? Examples like that. 

Having moved a little over a year ago I’ve become sort of disgusted of my physical media possessions. I’m mostly digital only at this point, but tend to still gravitate towards what’s cheapest. $5 Green Day CD or $13 digital download? I’ll take the CD please. 

I've gotten rid of some of single disc versions where I I've either bought the expanded version or downloaded a complete bootleg... I'm not proud of the latter, but it happened. I do have a box or two of CDs that I plan to sell them away. 

Yeah I guess I should add the same here, so bye bye 3 versions of ET, 1 version of Sky Captain and 2 boxes of CDs too numerous to name over the last 3 years. 

The good thing was that I was able to fund over a year of CD purchases by putting stuff on eBay. 

However still too much stuff left over.

I did a massive purge a month or two ago, and I tend to do it every few years. I find it a good test of whether I really need a score - delete it, then if I get a sudden urge to listen to it within the next few days, it comes back.

The most notable victim considering where I'm posting: TFA. I realized I only ever listen to Rey's Theme and The Resistance from the FYC.

The only digital score that I bought was the Jurassic Park expansion a few years ago.  All others are physical media.  I've never sold off, destroyed, discarded, or otherwise removed any CDs from my collection.  I own up to the things I own, even if there are ones I most definitely will never listen to again.  If anything, it's a sign of where I've been and were I'm going (statement perhaps unnecessarily philosophical). 

I did witness a friend set fire to a CD once about 18 years ago because it was so awful.  That's extreme.

My brother's psycho ex+girlfriend burned all of his CDs in a big pile with everything else he owned about ten years ago. Fortunately I had ripped most of them before he moved out, but man. 

I sold a few things recently that I just don't connect to anymore or listen to anymore. One of those was the Indiana Jones Concord set...I know sacrilege. I have a thread here on JWFAN that I want to get rid of some more CDs that I posted a few months ago but no one is nibbling on them.

1 hour ago, Woj said:

My brother's psycho ex+girlfriend burned all of his CDs in a big pile with everything else he owned about ten years ago. Fortunately I had ripped most of them before he moved out, but man. 

That is definitely psycho.

6 hours ago, Trent B said:

I sold a few things recently that I just don't connect to anymore or listen to anymore. One of those was the Indiana Jones Concord set...I know sacrilege.

I hardly ever listen to that thing. Maybe parts of Crusade now and then. I think I had an initial 'wow' moment when I heard all the unreleased ToD stuff, but it wore off.

I'm also not sure which part of me decided I needed 8 hours of Medal of Honor. I cut it down to a nice playlist of maybe a half hour of the best bits. Same goes for Doctor Who, although I made something more closely resembling a double CD with that.

8 hours ago, Woj said:

Holy crap!

I got rid of Michael Jaykeno’s Alias Music today. Digital copies. Only once listened to them, carried them around from drive to drive for years. Why?  No one knows. 

I'm not sure I've ever removed a score completely except for replacing fan-made DVD rips when the real thing surfaces.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:11 PM, Blumenkohl said:

Jane Eyre is a dull bore.

Whaat!?

On 10/22/2017 at 3:11 PM, Blumenkohl said:

So why the fuck am I dedicating physical, digital, and mental space to them? 

But digital space doesn't really count.  You can get a refurbished 1TB drive for like $30, and that can store the same amount as 1500 uncompressed CDs, and more than double that even in FLAC.

I have never gotten rid of a score CD, unless I had an exact duplicate.  I got rid of my first copy of the Fellowship of the Ring OST because I decided to change my packaging to the faux-leather collector's edition (smart move, since TTT and ROTK had additional material).  I got rid of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull because the boxset release was exactly the same down to packaging.  I think there are a few CDs I accidentally bought used or on LLL's clearances, which I already had from previous sales.

I did get rid of my old Beatles CDs a few years ago when the remasters came out.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

FYI the SE release of TTT actually removed some music from two tracks in order to fit the bonus track

Yes - I'm not anal enough to actually miss the few seconds, but I AM anal enough to have picked up a cheap copy of the OST just to say my collection is complete.

The last one I removed than I actually regretted was the 2CD LLL version of Batman. After the Elfman set was released, I decided to ditch it for the new mix. However, I find myself missing that first release because it was the film mix I believe.

38 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The last one I removed than I actually regretted was the 2CD LLL version of Batman. After the Elfman set was released, I decided to ditch it for the new mix. However, I find myself missing that first release because it was the film mix I believe.

I kept that one because it matched the spines for Returns and Forever.

TTT, what's this? Those abbreviations kills me.

EDIT: Ah just read the context... The Two Towers.

I put several 90's cheap Classical CDs (bought when I was a young adult) to the bin, but never a score, much less a JW one. And I never sell any of my CD. 

Probably Rosewood. I never owned it prior to the  2 disc set and never connected with it. I also got rid of the original albums for Empire of the Sun and Home Alone after the expansions. 

In terms of scores by other composers, the last scores I purged were Star Trek (Giacchino), Vertigo, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe those last two make me a philistine, but I don't care. All I need of the Herrmann is the suite anyway. 

1 hour ago, Seth said:

In terms of scores by other composers, the last scores I purged were Star Trek (Giacchino), Vertigo, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe those last two make me a philistine, but I don't care. All I need of the Herrmann is the suite anyway. 

I hate the idea that just because a score is from a revered movie, that everyone has to like it. Sometimes you just need one or two cues to get what you need out of a score. in Mockingbird's case, it's the wonderful main title.

I tried multiple times to arrange the Star Trek DE into something interesting and failed. I reverted back to the OST, and I don't even remember the last time I listened to that.

Probably the shortest time for anything in my collection is the 1997 2-CD ESB. I found it cheap in 2004 while at uni, and it was in my collection for a matter of days before I realised it was doing absolutely nothing for me.

Even now, my Star Wars 'collection' consists of one cue each from 1-3, one from 6, and three from TFA (only one of which is from the OST). I don't have any instance of the main fanfare. Can't stand it any more.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I hate the idea that just because a score is from a revered movie, that everyone has to like it. Probably the shortest time for anything in my collection is the 1997 2-CD ESB. I found it cheap in 2004 while at uni, and it was in my collection for a matter of days before I realised it was doing absolutely nothing for me.

You're telling me! What the hell was going through Williams' head when he wrote this garbage? ESB is worse than everything!