What’s The Last Score You’ve REMOVED From Your Collection

BLUMENKOHL

I feel so sorry, now that we know the 1996 and 2002 editions of E.T. scores featured alternate takes, for those who sell them before buying the 35th Anniversay expansion.

tut tut tut :)

IMG_2273.JPG

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

:oYou did not!

It's a great score, but at the time that I sold it, I felt I already got it after one listen. Come to think of it, I sold it together with Cinema Paradiso.

Cinema-Paradiso-CD-cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You sold Batman Returns?

:down:

I would be glad to own the VS version of 1941!

Now look at this, I made a place for CE3K (No, I'm not impatient!).

Arghh... those japanese writings, it almost ruins my collection!

IMG_2285.JPG

I own the two disc LLR Batman Returns, it's the same as the obsolete one disc. 

I saw VS 1941 on Amazon for a lot of money, like $80 used, and I know Half Price would give me nothing for it. 

I was inches away from deleting the E.T. OST the other night. (the only representation of the score I have).

I'll give a few tracks their due consideration, but it'll probably go. I don't think I've listened to it even once.

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

How many inches?

However many there are between your finger and the 'delete' key when you're not immediately looking to delete something.

I think I was mentally deleting it, but my finger just wouldn't do it.... yet.

Just now, Richard Penna said:

However many there are between my finger and the 'delete' key. I think I was mentally deleting it, but my finger just wouldn't do it.... yet.

:nono:

As humans become adults, they lose their will to assume things, mainly from some misguided, artificial stigma against assumptions, in favour of boring facts and logic. But assumptions help us embrace and expand our imagination. Assumptions are good.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sold:

Summon the Heroes

Potter III

JFK

The Mexican

Congo

Sneakers

Pops on the March

By Request

Schindler's List

All duplicates.

I intend to sell off a few odds that I don't like:

Cinderella Man

Meet Joe Black

Erin Brockovich

Finding Nemo

Finding Neverland

Room With a View

Three Musketeers (Legrand)

Blink

True Lies

• 1 month later...

I remove titles all the time. Got a batch of some 30 promos today. In all likelihood, 95-100% of those will be deleted once they've been sampled. I'm also trying to weed down my physical collection, but I can't really remember what the last CD was that I sold or gave away.

Thor, what criteria do you use to decide which promos to keep? How many times do you listen to something before making a decision? I only ask because many scores only grow on me after a few listens.

Well, with what I do, you eventually learn to find the "potential" of the music after first impressions. Sometimes, I even skip tracks, or only listen to some of the album. But when something sparks an interest in me, I'll leave it in my folder and return to it at least once or twice before making the final decision. If it still holds potential, I'll import to my iTunes. This is the sort of 'final acceptance' of an album, even if I might change my mind down the road. Once in a while, things that originally spurred an interest may actually start to wane after 4th or 5th listening. This also happens.

In terms of specific criteria, there are all sorts of different things. Obviously, current preferences play a big role.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:56 PM, Bespin said:

I feel so sorry, now that we know the 1996 and 2002 editions of E.T. scores featured alternate takes, for those who sell them before buying the 35th Anniversay expansion.

tut tut tut :)

IMG_2273.JPG

Now, just a damn minute!

Where's MONSIGNOR?

Ps, now, just another damned minute!

Where's HEARTBEEPS?

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do you keep anything simply because of who the composer is (other than JW)?

Yes. Also Elfman and Goldenthal.

Plus Supertramp, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Oingo Boingo, Rammstein, Jean Michel Jarre.

Completist of all of them.

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm not ready for Heartbeeps!!! Monsignor... still searching it.

Bes, I've just seen two copies of MONSIGNOR. One Amazon, for about £39, and one on eBay for about £32.

I'd say that that's quite reasonable.

There's also a boot twofer (with THE MISSOURI BREAKS).

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes. Also Elfman and Goldenthal.

Plus Supertramp, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Oingo Boingo, Rammstein, Jean Michel Jarre.

Completist of all of them.

Hmm. Supertramp: nice, Jean Michel Jarre: good, Floyd: far out, man, Alan Parsons: melodic, Oingo Boingo: jazzy, Rammst- WHAT THE HELL????

Forgive me for saying, Thor, but Rammstein seem odd bedfellows. Any particular reason why you like this band?

Big, Wagnerian, dramatic goth metal with satirical, smart lyrics? What's not to like? I first discovered them on the soundtrack of LOST HIGHWAY, and have loved them ever since. 

Also superb stage shows (only seen them once, though).

On 11/12/2017 at 4:46 PM, Alexcremers said:

The last soundtrack I sold was:

256508-soundtracks-the-mission-soundtrac

I sold this too quite recently. The soundtrack has a few very good highlights but as a complete listening experience it fails, in my opinion.