CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - Live to Projection Concerts (1998 Final Cut used)

The Psycho Pianist

Wonder if MM was able to extract the choir from the multi-tracks, while working on the remaster?

Worth reminding y'all about the continuing pattern of Williams scores being performed live-to-picture:

• Home Alone (Matessino Expanded)
  • E.T. (Matessino Expanded)
  • Jurassic Park (Matessino Expanded)
  • Close Encounters (Matessino Expanded)
  • Jaws (Matessino Expanded)
  • Harry Potter I-III
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Star Wars IV-VII (Well, yeah, technically he already expanded IV-VI ;))

It makes sense for Williams' camp to release updated versions of these scores in line with live-to-picture presentations.

So it seems an opportunity has gone begging with Potter and Star Wars. Raiders is understandable given the licence situation, and Star Wars is ongoing with new Williams scores in progress (so I can see Disney withholding any ST expansions until they finish the trilogy), but Potter...? Arguably those 3 scores are very recent but we had an A.I. (2001) expansion over 2 years ago and that's from the same studio. 

Excellent! I was thinking about this possibility after the wonderful screening in 4K I attended the other day. Hard to beat the original performance and the pleasure of watching the film on a giant screen, but an extremely welcome experience nonetheless!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The World Premiere of CE3K live to projection will take place in Brisbane, Australia on March 24:

WORLD PREMIERE

Experience a landmark cinematic event performed with 85-piece orchestra and 60-voice choir.

The stars will shine bright on Saturday evening, 24 March 2018, when World Science Festival Brisbane takes the human experience into the realms of science fiction with the world premiere performance of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in Concert.

Steven Spielberg’s 1977 masterpiece, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, is widely considered one of the most treasured and influential science fiction films of all time. Nominated for eight Academy Awards® including Best Original Score, Close Encounters of the Third Kind remains as engrossing and inspiring today as it was forty years ago.

Now, for the first time, audiences will be able to experience John Williams’ magnificent score conducted by Nicholas Buc and performed in its entirety by the Queensland Festival Philharmonic and accompanied by the Resonance of Birralee choir, live and in sync with this extraordinary film. In a stunning collaboration between World Science Festival Brisbane, Film Concerts Live! and Columbia Pictures, this world premiere performance brings together cinema, science and music in one spectacular evening of extra-terrestrial excitement.

http://www.worldsciencefestival.com.au/program/events/close-encounters-third-kind-concert/

• 2 weeks later...

I sincerely hope that this concert comes to NY (or somewhere reasonably close to the Tri-State area) before 2019. Although, having never been to one, I wonder if the musicians have to conform to the tracked music and edits of the 1998 version

On 12/31/2017 at 8:36 AM, Ricard said:

Now, for the first time, audiences will be able to experience John Williams’ magnificent score conducted by Nicholas Buc and performed in its entirety by the Queensland Festival Philharmonic and accompanied by the Resonance of Birralee choir, live and in sync with this extraordinary film. 

Geez, this Nicholas Buc fellow is everywhere! He's basically conducting every Williams score Australia-wide. Bloody good conductor, too. His interpretation of TFA was sublime.

He's also a regular in the Art of the Score podcasts for anyone who listens (basically my new go-to film score podcasts following the apparent demise of SWO).

4 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I wonder if the musicians have to conform to the tracked music and edits of the 1998 version

They would, yep.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 30/12/2017 at 9:36 PM, Ricard said:

The World Premiere of CE3K live to projection will take place in Brisbane, Australia on March 24:

I have not seen any discussion of this.  Did any JWFansters attend this down under?

This article indicates that eight minutes of music have been restored for the live to projection performances.

3 hours ago, ciarlese said:

I was lucky to be much closer ( I am the guy with the red t-shirt in the fifth row of the arena on the left :P).
It was superb. The final 20 minutes shocked me, I almost burst in tears. And at last I could enjoy a film in-concert with complete silence until the end of the very last note: I wish the audience could be so well educated on every occasion!

Cannot wait for the next occasions in October!

Great point. The audience was spellbound right to the end. No drowning out the music with premature applause.

5 hours ago, ciarlese said:

I was lucky to be much closer ( I am the guy with the red t-shirt in the fifth row of the arena on the left :P).
It was superb. The final 20 minutes shocked me, I almost burst in tears. And at last I could enjoy a film in-concert with complete silence until the end of the very last note: I wish the audience could be so well educated on every occasion!

One does not simply interrupt the John Williams climax to end all climaxes:

tumblr_o8osuox6Df1tao6wco1_400.gif

Karol

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!!!!

BUT!  Is there any chance you can put them on youtube or google drive video instead of uploading as attachments?

We can't really afford the 1GB (!) of server space to host them, nor are they allowed to be attached per the forum rules.  Hosting somewhere else and linking/embedding is fine, though.

Thanks!

On 6/15/2018 at 10:12 AM, ciarlese said:

Did I miss something? Are there dates and locations scheduled for the next performances? :drool:

Yeah, when I checked the website I didn't see anything other than the premiere.

I've decided: people can have their Harry Potter, their Star Wars, their ET...but this concert, I WILL see.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah, when I checked the website I didn't see anything other than the premiere.

I've decided: people can have their Harry Potter, their Star Wars, their ET...but this concert, I WILL see.

Good decision. This was my 22nd live to projection concert (7th of Williams' music) and definitely among the best. I'd say E.T. is a close second. Both scores use their scores prominently and they have such a clear musical structure. Both a must see.

Karol

On 15/06/2018 at 3:12 PM, ciarlese said:

And at last I could enjoy a film in-concert with complete silence until the end of the very last note: I wish the audience could be so well educated on every occasion!

I would echo this.  In contrast to the other Williams live to projection concerts I have seen at the Royal Albert Hall, this one was far from being a sell out.  There was no programme available and I wonder if this was because they had not sold enough tickets to justify the cost of producing one.

The price of the stalls tickets dropped considerably in the weeks leading up to the concert in an attempt to fill the arena and they were even advertising the concert with posters at Tube stations (I noticed one at Pimlico the other week, for example).  I have to remind myself that this movie is more than forty years old and although film score buffs like we are here know how magnificent the music is, I suspect that the music as a whole is much less familiar to the general public (aside from the famous five-note motif) than, say, Jaws or Jurassic Park.  This probably explained the smaller crowd but also the fact that those who did attend did so because they knew how great it would be if done right.

I attended Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets recently at the same venue and there was a couple in the row behind who started to discuss loudly where to go for dinner afterwards while the end credits music played.  They spoke even more loudly during the louder parts of the music to make sure they could hear each other over the sound of the orchestra!

On 15/06/2018 at 3:12 PM, ciarlese said:

I Cannot wait for the next occasions in October!

22 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Did I miss something? Are there dates and locations scheduled for the next performances? :drool:

I think he might mean JW at RAH.