CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - Live to Projection Concerts (1998 Final Cut used)

The Psycho Pianist

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

I think the "volume issue" might have been actually a deliberate thing. I remember the same happening with the RAH performance in London. That was the music slowly takes over the film so that by the third act it takes center stage.

Karol

Indeed. It left me wondering how cool it would be to hear other, lesser-known scores by Williams performed live, such as Nixon, Images (imagine that!), A.I., or Minority Report

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Fascinating, @Corellian2019!  I wish I could have made the trek out to see this, but it just wasn't possible.  

I know :( I didn't see Mike Matessino either, so I assume he wasn't there

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm confused about the air traffic controllers music you heard, it must have been re-purposed from some other cue?  

I'm not so sure, and admittedly, I heard that music just as I was struggling to find my (wrong) seat. From what I remember, the music fit @SyncMan's description of material that was similar but not identical to later passages in the film. But even if it was just tracked music, it seems weird that it would only be included in LTP concerts and not on home video. That's something that I have to check if it appears on the 40th anniversary Blu-ray

I went back to my Blu-ray and can confirm that "Air Traffic Control" does not appear in any version of the film.

One thing I forgot to mention is that in all previous versions of the film, the pitch fluctuates between the "Indian Chant" as heard in Dharmsala by the characters, and as played back in the conference room for Lacombe's presentation. Now, in the LTP version, the pitch is consistent between those two scenes. Too bad it wasn't fixed for the 4K release

• 5 weeks later...

So after speaking w/ Mike tonight, I can confirm that the "Air Traffic Control" music is really just tracked from "Trucking". He said that he put it together after the concert's producers complained that the musical gap between "Lost Squadron" and "Trucking" was too long, and after showing the editorially created cue to JW, it was approved

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Oregon Symphony Orchestra. Deanna Tham, Conductor
September 28 & 29, 2024
Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, Portland, OR

https://www.orsymphony.org/concerts-tickets/2425/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-in-concert/?performanceId=5985