Which is your favourite John Williams Expanded/Complete album from LLL?

Josh500

Which is your favourite John Williams Expanded/Complete album from LLL?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite John Williams Expanded/Complete album from LLL?

• Jurassic Park Collection
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Home Alone
    • Home Alone 2
    • Empire of the Sun
    • Rosewood
    • Hook
    • E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
    • Other

I'm going to answer Home Alone.  I listen to it numerous times around Christmas, and that alone probably means something; the others I probably listen to a mere once per year.  I don't necessarily think it's better than most of the others on this list -- speaking of which, why no E.T. among the options? -- but the comparative volume of plays must mean something.

Well E.T.... Then JP.

Before the JP set, I was not even able to listen to The Lost World.  I hated it. Bad choices of titles, of sequence, bad energy... I don't know...

The Expanded set was a revelation for me.

5 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I'm going to answer Home Alone.  I listen to it numerous times around Christmas, and that alone probably means something; the others I probably listen to a mere once per year.  I don't necessarily think it's better than most of the others on this list -- speaking of which, why no E.T. among the options? -- but the comparative volume of plays must mean something.

E.T. is an option now!

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well E.T.... Then JP.

Before the JP set, I was not even able to listen to The Lost World.  I hated it. Bad choices of titles, of sequence, bad energy... I don't know...

The Expanded set was a revelation for me.

I loved The Lost World before, but now I love it even more!

The main theme, The Hunt, and Sarah's Rescue were and still are masterpieces.

8 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I'm going to answer Home Alone.  I listen to it numerous times around Christmas, and that alone probably means something; 

It's a good choice, actually. Home Alone is a score I never get tired of. Really wonderfully listenable and crafted music.

Tchaikovsky would be proud!

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

A.I.  It's one of my favorite William scores, and it provided a lot of extras.  I know that Jurassic Park, from the sheer weight of TLW alone, will no doubt win this, but my heart tells me A.I. is my runaway favorite of the ones listed, in terms of expansions.

For me, it was actually also very close.

I feel A.I. is one of the most accomplished and amazing scores JW has ever written, full of surprises and heartbreakingly touching moments.... And to have it complete in a single gorgeous 3-disc set is simply a dream come true.

Still, Jurassic Park Collection came out slightly ahead for me, on the strength of TLW. But it was very close.

Jurassic Park set shits on everything. And it's one big pile of shit, let me tell you. Some may say it has an unfair advantage since it collects two scores, but I'm specifically talking about The Lost World. It's better than everything, including A.I., which has so much unnecessary music on the LLL version. I don't skip anything in The Lost World, but I can't say the same for any of those other scores.

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The problems with the Home Alone soundtracks is that I can only listen to them when there is snow outside in the winter months... And can't AFTER New years's eve too. 

Seriously, that's not the album's problem, it's your problem! 

I voted A.I.

My enjoyment and appreciation of that increased dramatically by having the entire score available with the complete LLL release.  I'd only ever heard the OST.  I wasn't familiar with the score as heard in the movie since I've only seen the movie once and I never heard any of the extra promo releases or bootlegs.

I voted JP because I've listened to Lost World more times than any of the others. The runner up would be AI, the score that I have a more emotional reaction to, and therefore am not ready to listen to just any old time, like I do with Lost World.

I'm really loving all of these albums (that I have), but I had to come down with E.T., though Jurassic Park Collection and A.I. are certainly up there.

This is a cruel poll, since it's almost like asking for a favorite child.

1. Jurassic Park Collection

2. A.I.

3. Empire of the Sun

4. E.T.

5. Rosewood

6. 1941

7. Home Alone

Out of competition: Hook (It provides a ton of previously unreleased, highly wanted music, but the release is so flawed. That's why I don't really know, where its place is in the ranking)

JP Collection with Hook snapping at it's heels (as wierd as that sounds).

I'm ashamed to admit I own but have yet to listen to A.I., EotS, Rosewood, HA, 1941, I have listened to the Varese DEs of HA2 (once) and The Fury (also once), do those count? ;)

I don't yet have E.T. (financial constraints, don't ask).

Ok, I clearly don't deserve my screen name.

46 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I have to say, there is a swell in my heart to see the love A.I. is getting.

When the expansion was released nobody seemed to be that enthusiastic.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

JP Collection with Hook snapping at it's heels (as wierd as that sounds).

It doesn't sound weird. If it was a definitive expansion it would be my number 2 or 3, but since it is not definitive, I cannot really put it in my ranking.

Okay, that cool. I've just read the few first posts and didn't see somebody compketely freaking out. Nice to see that I was mistaken.

But I assumed The Haunting would be more enthusiasticly received on this forum.

I picked the JP set because it's one of the few big Williams franchise scores done right (one of the BIG FOUR...Indiana Jones,Star Wars,Harry Potter, Jurassic) and it was the highest on my holy grail list intially, and there was a large amount of unreleased music not available on bootlegs or leaked sessions

15 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm ashamed to admit I own but have yet to listen to A.I., EotS, Rosewood, HA, 1941, I have listened to the Varese DEs of HA2 (once) and The Fury (also once), do those count? ;)

yeah you should be ashamed

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

But I assumed The Haunting would be more enthusiasticly received on this forum.

It's a horrible movie. The whole idea that Goldsmith in his later years would have gotten a high-profile movie dealing with such profound stuff as 'A.I.' is ludicrous, sadly.

I voted for A.I.

When I saw the movie in a theater in 2001, I knew I wanted every single note recorded for that score. The 3 CD set is a dream come true.

I also adore the JP Collection (I love so much The Lost World) and the Home Alone sets. E.T. is a pure bliss too. Hard to choose!

I now wish MM would revisit Hook...