Jerry Goldsmith's THE HAUNTING (1999) - 2017 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

4 hours ago, Jay said:

A similar thing happened with Varese and Predator 2 (Deluxe Edition), where the CD actually included all the music it was supposed to, but the back track card featured the wrong names on 4 tracks.  They never once publicly admitted the mistake, never updated the JPG of the back tray on their website, and of course didn't offer to print and mail out fixed tray cards either - or even simply put up a high res file up for download so people could print it out themselves if they were so inclined.  They basically just pretended nothing was wrong!

It's nice that LK worked on this so is able to publicly post what happened, as Varese themselves never admit to their mistakes for some reason.

Hopefully, he will also work on Small Soldiers, Air Force One and other important Deluxe Editions.

It’s their Black Friday sale. But had they not taken a month to have the discs ready to ship after announcing, the sale would not be that big of a deal. 

I can can see people getting a little upset over it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the score necessarily warrants such a long album but there is certainly more than enough of really strong material to warrant a purchase. It's a very low key and quiet score and very elegant one at that. Definitely one of the highlights of 1990's Goldsmith era. Glad I bought it.

Karol

Believe me, I explained to him the Predator 2 problem back when it happened and encouraged him to make a download of a fixed tray card available.  It never happened.

I note that their website doesn't acknowledge the error in any way - just has a link to download the back cover in hi-res which just happens to be corrected. I wonder how much prodding Townson needed just to do that.

1. Afraid (:42) [Unreleased]
2. A Place For Everything (3:15) [OST Track 3]
3. Hill House (:45) [Unreleased]
4. First Look (1:36) [Unreleased]
5. In The Dark (:54) [Unreleased]
6. The Carousel (1:01) [OST Track 1 0:00-057]
7. The Yellow Light (1:16) [Unreleased]
8. Nell’s Story (:49) [Unreleased]
9. A Broken String (1:00) [Unreleased]
10. Meetings (2:58) [Unreleased]
11. Portraits (:42) [Unreleased]
12. The Curtains (3:03) [OST Track 4 / Unreleased]
13. Testing (1:37) [Unreleased]
14. Noisy Fireplace (1:33) [Unreleased]
15. Welcome Home Eleanor (1:50) [Unreleased]
16. Green House Tale / Bloody Feet (3:49) [Unreleased]
17. Crane’s Study (2:14) [Unreleased]
18. Curly Hair (3:09) [OST Track 5]
19. The Picture Album (4:48) [OST Track 6]
20. What Am I Doing (2:20) [Unreleased]
21. Out Of Bed (1:00) [Unreleased]
22. Return To The Carousel / What Do You Want (4:08) [OST Track 7 / Unreleased]
23. Twisted Stairs (1:01) [Unreleased]
24. Terror In Bed / Nell’s Room (6:56) [OST Track 2 / Unreleased]
25. Finally Home (9:19) [Unreleased]
26. Theme From The Haunting / Home Safe (5:07) [OST Track 1 0:57-end / OST Track 9]
27. Finally Home (Album Version) (6:16) [OST Track 8]

Wow, among the first 17 tracks are two and a half tracks that were on the OST. It's like A.I. where the OST was mostly based on the last third.

On 7.12.2017 at 4:45 PM, Richard Penna said:

I note that their website doesn't acknowledge the error in any way - just has a link to download the back cover in hi-res which just happens to be corrected. I wonder how much prodding Townson needed just to do that.

And why do they still keep the wrong back cover on their site instead if just replacing it with the correct one? ... :blink: ... On the other hand this can be seen as an acknowledgement of their error.

Most OST albums take the bulk of their music from the end of the film, not the beginning.  Often times towards the end of the film is where longer score cues have to be written, as earlier parts of films generally have shorter "setup" type cues that are often the first to be dropped from OST consideration.

15 hours ago, Display Name said:

Wow, among the first 17 tracks are two and a half tracks that were on the OST. It's like A.I. where the OST was mostly based on the last third.

And why do they still keep the wrong back cover on their site instead if just replacing it with the correct one? ... :blink: ... On the other hand this can be seen as an acknowledgement of their error.

Nah, acknowledgement of their error would be replacing the old cover entirely, linking to the hi-res from that, and putting a note apologising for the misprinted booklets.

Call me cynical, but I feel Varese is trying to avoid 'officially' admitting they made a mistake.

Music-wise, this will be a Christmas listen for me. The unreleased clips sounded interesting enough.

33 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm not sure what part of The Curtains is missing from the OST. Does somebody know?

And is the film version of Finally Home a completely different recording?

The OST is an early version of the scene. When they inserted a sweeping helicopter shot of Hill House Goldsmith added approx. 50 seconds of a big reading of the Hill House theme (similar to the Harry Potter castle flyovers).

The same with the finale, Goldsmith's early version is much more seamless whereas the new version accomodates more shock moments and finishes with an integrated reworking of 'Home Safe'. This sounds more in line with 80's Spielberg movies than the more somber original version. 

Listening to the album again. It's a really wonderful score. Not at all a cliched horror score, just something to gently unsettle but mostly enchant. It's also very elegant. And the synths create a nice ambience as well. I love it.

Karol

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Nah, acknowledgement of their error would be replacing the old cover entirely, linking to the hi-res from that, and putting a note apologising for the misprinted booklets.

Call me cynical, but I feel Varese is trying to avoid 'officially' admitting they made a mistake.

Music-wise, this will be a Christmas listen for me. The unreleased clips sounded interesting enough.

Life's too short to be concerned over such a trivial matter.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

This is fairly trivial, yes. But it points towards a company being unwilling to admit its mistakes. That, I have a problem with.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Listening to the album again. It's a really wonderful score. Not at all a cliched horror score, just something to gently unsettle but mostly enchant. It's also very elegant. And the synths create a nice ambience as well. I love it.

Karol

It has this nice U-boat sound like in Air Force One.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Even for hardcore Goldsmith completists like me. I don't understand the drama at FSM. They not talking about the music at all.

• 4 months later...

I have a mug with Mario's face on it that I won at a local retro computing/consoles quiz tournament for reaching second place.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...