Scores 2017

thestat

It has been a barren year for good scores, but there are some, even, many bright spots.

1. Valerian - Desplat (this is running away easily with the best score of the year award, it is so good, so innovative, always surprising, muscular, sensitive - desplat!)

2. Thor: Ragnarok (who would guess Motherbaugh would follow up on his contemporary Elfman and redefine synths for mainstream film music. Fuck Zimmer and noise, seriously. This is the future .- a Goldsmith inspired creative synth use - the synths are both bubbly and epic, hard and contemporary)

3. Guardians 2 - yeah, Tyler Bates is at the top of score lists because he can coordinate a great, massive, old-fashioned orchestral bombast score. Lokutus, if you 'no like', give an example where something is better than 'Two-time Galaxy Savers'.

4. Apes - Giacchino - it is different, it is orchestral, There is Exodus Wounds'.

5. Tokyo Ghoul - Don Davis - go on youtube and listen to a track called The Kaneki Metamorphosis - this is the goods.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebel in the Rye would be on my list for sure.

I didn't like that GOTG2 score at all (despite really liking the movie), I enjoyed the other scores on your list to varying degrees.

I've never understood why you guys limit yourselves to Hollywood/big blockbuster movies and scores. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones here too each and every year, but there's so much good stuff if you move your eyes slightly to the side. Spotify is your friend! Some of my favourites this year, so far:

BLADE RUNNER 2049 (in my own playlist format), THELMA (Ola Fløttum), TULIP FEVER (Danny Elfman), THE EMOJI MOVIE (Patrick Doyle), DUCKWEED (Peng Fei), 2:22 (Lisa Gerrard and James Orr -- in my own playlist format), PASSAGE TO DAWN (Diego Navarro), THE CIRCLE (Danny Elfman), THE PROMISE (Gabriel Yared), BRIMSTONE (Junkie XL), ALIEN: COVENANT (Jed Kurzel), LE COEUR EN BRAILLE (Philippe Jakko), THEIR FINEST (Rachel Portman), AERIAL CHINA (Bei Wang), VICEROY'S HOUSE (A.R. Rahman), SAATOKEIKA (Pessi Levanto), MOANA (Mark Mancina), VALLEY OF SHADOWS (Zbigniew Preisner), ASKELADDEN - I DOVREGUBBENS HALL (Ginge). And those are just those that made it into my iTunes collection. Plenty more I could recommend that I haven't had enough time with yet.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You guys? This is one dude’s list. 

Well, it seems to be the norm here, if you look at the threads and discussions and lists. I know there are some who explore films and music beyond Hollywood, but they seem to be the exception.

I don't think the hollywood parameters are surprising, take for instance, that in Australia film tickets are quite steep - most of the films I see throughout the year are the big blockbusters and I don't have the time or the money to see every film that comes out during the year. Then there's also the matter of being restricted by seeing the films with friends and family, each who have their unique tastes and that limits what I'm going to watch with the limited money I have. 

Don't you watch films in other venues than in the multiplex cinema? What about DVDs? Blurays? Streaming services? Cinemateques?

What about scores? Don't people use Spotify or similar services to explore? Read soundtrack reviews for recommendations? 

These are things I'm sometimes curious about here.

Wow I just listened to The Emoji Movie soundtrack by Patrick Doyle, and I find it great ! Thanks for the tip ! Same as Mothersbaugh on Thor : orchestral meets electronic. It's great !

39 minutes ago, toothless said:

Wow I just listened to The Emoji Movie soundtrack by Patrick Doyle, and I find it great ! Thanks for the tip ! Same as Mothersbaugh on Thor : orchestral meets electronic. It's great !

I liked it on the album but in the film it's barely noticeable.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

The Snowman is very good.

Karol

The movie or score? I haven't heard the score yet (outside the film), but I thought the film was absolutely dreadful. It's pretty much panned among critics worldwide, and the director has apologized in public (citing too little time as one of the main causes).

1 minute ago, Thor said:

The movie or score? I haven't heard the score yet (outside the film), but I thought the film was absolutely dreadful. It's pretty much panned among critics worldwide, and the director has apologized in public (citing too little time as one of the main causes).

The score is very good on album. Haven't seen the film but Beltrami makes it sound classy. His best work in quite a few years.

Karol