Jump to content
Saint Nicholas MLXVI

Which film have you seen more than any other?

Is there at least one film you've seen more than 50 times?  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. Is there at least one film you've seen more than 50 times?

    • Yes!
    • Um, no. Who sees a film that many times? Losers.


Recommended Posts

Yup, agreed. I'm just so totally in love with this universe, I want to see as much footage as possible. But there's no doubt that the omission of that sequence helps the focus and momentum of the film's finale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Great little detail. Also says a lot about the xeno -- the cat is not relevant enough for survival. First hint of the stronger 'personality' traits that it gets in the later escape craft finale (like the inner mouth behaving as a middle finger to Ripley, telling her "you better stay the fuck off, and let me be here -- or I'll kill you"). I wonder if I'm the only one who's felt a bit sorry for the alien in its demise. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

 

And apparently, the average JWfaner doesn't outgrow this stage. Personally, I think EVERYTHING has a limited shelf-life. The more you watch, hear or experience something, the quicker it reaches its expiration date. That's why I try not to watch my absolute favorite movies too much.

Try not to watch, too much.

TRY NOT TO WATCH, TOO MUCH!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I prefer the TV of Alien. It's my second favourite film.

 

Ultimately, I do too. And it's my second favourite film too -- although it shares that spot with its sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ultimately, I do too. And it's my second favourite film too -- although it shares that spot with its sequel.

What a coincidence, although Aliens on the other hand is not even in my top 50. Which two films share the winner's podium with Alien/Aliens for you?

 

                                                   1.

              2.              Once Upon a Time in America

           Alien                                                                     3.

                                                                                   The Fly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes. Great little detail. Also says a lot about the xeno -- the cat is not relevant enough for survival. First hint of the stronger 'personality' traits that it gets in the later escape craft finale (like the inner mouth behaving as a middle finger to Ripley, telling her "you better stay the fuck off, and let me be here -- or I'll kill you"). I wonder if I'm the only one who's felt a bit sorry for the alien in its demise. :D

 

In general, I love how weird the climax feels. Of course it's tense 'cause you have the protagonist trapped with this creature that seems indestructible, but the xenomorph is pretty chill in that scene...there's a certain tranquility to it, but it's the kind of uneasy stillness that happens when you're in a potentially life-or-death situation and you don't know if you're gonna be alright by the end of it. I don't remember musically what's going on there, but I want to say Goldsmith plays into that feeling, too...was it unscored? And when the xenomorph is finally gone, there's relief, but to me it always felt more weary than "hell yeah!" 

 

But of course you, Thor, would lament the death of an inhuman creature that kills people that have very human personality. ;)

 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

 (like the inner mouth behaving as a middle finger to Ripley, telling her "you better stay the fuck off, and let me be here -- or I'll kill you"). 

 

According to Scott and Goldsmith, there was a different part of anatomy that was supposed to evoke....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

According to Scott and Goldsmith, there was a different part of anatomy that was supposed to evoke....

 

Of course. It's phallic (literally killing its prey by an act of penetration). Paul Sammon goes into this too, in his excellent book about Scott. One of several Freudian images in Giger's designs. But in that particular scene, it's used more as a 'warning' to Ripley. It knows she is there, and it knows it's the way to further survival. But then she provokes it out of its hiding place.

 

Quote

What a coincidence, although Aliens on the other hand is not even in my top 50. Which two films share the winner's podium with Alien/Aliens for you?

 

ALIEN and ALIENS share the second place on the alltime podium for me. They're both two of cinema history's greatest masterpieces, for different reasons. The 'winner' for me is JURASSIC PARK. Incidentally, I just now finished ALIENS too, for the umpteenth time. The Special Edition, of course, which I -- like Cameron himself -- think is the superior version ("40 miles of bad road", as he says).

 

I've always wanted to see more of Hadley's Hope beyond what's in the excellent Newt family prologue. Love that shot of the main 'street', with the Bar sign.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Of course. It's phallic (literally killing its prey by an act of penetration). Paul Sammon goes into this too, in his excellent book about Scott. One of several Freudian images in Giger's designs. But in that particular scene, it's used more as a 'warning' to Ripley. It knows she is there, and it knows it's the way to further survival. But then she provokes it out of its hiding place

 

You're not wrong, but what I was getting at was that Goldsmith even described that particular moment as lascivious, to which Scott wanted that portrayed musically (before deciding it'd be more effective without music). So they were going for more of a sexual predator, rape subtext in that spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's also a feasible interpretation, especially given Ripley's semi-nude, exposed vulnerability. But the 'rape' analogy works better in other parts of the movie, IMO. The dropship sequence is more of a "tease" or middle finger, IMO. They no doubt made the right call on the absence of music, that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, Richard said:

As much as I like and admire ALIENS, I'm afraid that ALIEN shits all over it, from a great height.

I love both but Alien was more shocking while Aliens is more fun, its far more quotable, better acted directed and scored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Better acted???

Yes. Sigourney Weaver was Oscar nominated. Her performance is iconic. The film features a great ensemble cast. Both films do really. I am not criticizing Alien, I am praising Aliens more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Yappet Koto and John Hurt give brilliant performances in Alien!

 

Don't forget Veronica Cartwright. Besides when she couldn't control herself from vomiting cherry pits, this was my favorite role of hers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t keep track but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Jaws, Smokey and The Bandit, Star Wars, Superman, Airplane!, King Kong (1933), Gojira (1954), 7th Voyage of Sinbad, The 10 Commandments,  Patton, CE3K and Jason and the Argonauts at least 15-20 times each. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, nothing surpasses Star Wars. The originals probably take the top three spots based on how many marathons I've done over the years. After The Force Awakens came out I saw it numerous times in the span of two years.

 

Runners up include Jaws, Jurassic Park, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lord of the Rings, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

 

I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but when I saw La La Land I fell in love with it so much. I've probably seen it ten times in a short span. It was a go-to feel good movie. I saw Darkest Hour three times since it came out. I can be pretty ridiculous about quickly over watching new movies I enjoy, which is why I've taken a break from the regular repeated material to experiment with new-to-me movies from a wide range of genres in a great number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw TLOTR movies a total of zero times at the theatre. But there are those here who if my total is factored with their totals I have seen it at least a dozen times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last year, I've compiled a list of how many individual films I've seen in my lifetime, which includes movies I've seen at the cinema or on video, TV or on the internet. Feature-length theatrical films, TV movies and direct-to-video films qualify, but short films don't, since I can't remember the titles of any that I've seen, and there aren't many anyway.

 

The list total as of today comes to 1,702. Some of you would probably scoff at that and go "errr that's not many". Well when you factor in that I've had a life outside of film fandom that doesn't involve sitting on my arse watching movies day in and day out, that number isn't too bad. But I'm still not satisfied and would like to reach numbers like 3,000 or 5,000 that online cinenuts like to brag.

 

But even if you think that number is low, you don't really know until you've taken the time and effort to count each individual film. Most people couldn't be bothered and instead they make rough guesses that could be way off the ballpark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dougie said:

The list total as of today comes to 1,702. Some of you would probably scoff at that and go "errr that's not many". Well when you factor in that I've had a life outside of film fandom that doesn't involve sitting on my arse watching movies day in and day out, that number isn't too bad. 

 

Aren't you always online though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

 

Aren't you always online though?

 

I didn't used to be, but then I got a mobile telephone that could hook up to the internet.

 

And I can't really go out much these days anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dougie said:

The list total as of today comes to 1,702. Some of you would probably scoff at that and go "errr that's not many". Well when you factor in that I've had a life outside of film fandom that doesn't involve sitting on my arse watching movies day in and day out, that number isn't too bad. But I'm still not satisfied and would like to reach numbers like 3,000 or 5,000 that online cinenuts like to brag.

 

1700 is about the total number of films I've seen in the last 7-8 years. But I don't necessarily think your number is low. It's probably a lot higher than most 'normal' people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dougie said:

In the last year, I've compiled a list of how many individual films I've seen in my lifetime, which includes movies I've seen at the cinema or on video, TV or on the internet. Feature-length theatrical films, TV movies and direct-to-video films qualify, but short films don't, since I can't remember the titles of any that I've seen, and there aren't many anyway.

 

The list total as of today comes to 1,702. Some of you would probably scoff at that and go "errr that's not many". Well when you factor in that I've had a life outside of film fandom that doesn't involve sitting on my arse watching movies day in and day out, that number isn't too bad. But I'm still not satisfied and would like to reach numbers like 3,000 or 5,000 that online cinenuts like to brag.

 

But even if you think that number is low, you don't really know until you've taken the time and effort to count each individual film. Most people couldn't be bothered and instead they make rough guesses that could be way off the ballpark.

That sure is low but wasn't  it around 900 previously so you are doing well. Wait till you are my age, you will get there. I have long lost count. But movies are life. 

Johnnyecks what do you think about Creepshow 2. The raft still disturbs me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

That sure is low but wasn't  it around 900 previously so you are doing well. Wait till you are my age, you will get there. I have long lost count. But movies are life. 

Johnnyecks what do you think about Creepshow 2. The raft still disturbs me.

 

My first reported number here was about 1,500+.

 

Remember, I grew up pretty much watching the same movies over and over again on tape and DVD. Back then, my parents hogged the Foxtel, so I missed out on a lot of movies.

 

And cinemas are so expensive, I usually only go about five times a year. And last year I only went twice. This year, probably never. I'll just wait for the Foxtel premiere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay.  How much does it cost to see a movie at the theatre?

 

Matinees vary from $6.25 to 8.75. I rarely go at night because it doubles. 

We have about 70 screens within 30 min. of the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×