NEW! Exclusive Mike Matessino interview - E.T., Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Stanley & Iris, and more!

Jay

I find it interesting how quickly Pete 'n' Tillie came together and I would love to know Williams thoughts upon hearing that score again presumably for the first time in 45 years!

At the same time, I presented the idea to Williams and I was told that he would have to hear the material first. So that meant spending the money to transfer and evaluate it speculatively. I was pleased to find out that it was in genuine stereo and that more had been scored than had been used in the film, close to 20 minutes. So I submitted it and Williams said yes

Why can't this happen for Sugarland!! :P 

I still say it could make sense to package that and The River together.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I find it interesting how quickly Pete 'n' Tillie came together and I would love to know Williams thoughts upon hearing that score again presumably for the first time in 45 years!

Why can't this happen for Sugarland!! :P 

I know right?  

Maybe Mike can make it happen!

I still say it could make sense to package that and The River together.

I doubt Spielberg would approve of that.

Each score stands on their own and deserve their own release IMO.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

I doubt Spielberg would approve of that.

Each score stands on their own and deserve their own release IMO.

I watched Sugarland just last year but I honestly can't remember if there was enough material to justify a standalone release.  I suppose if they priced it a little cheaper than the normal expansion that would be ok.  Of course we have no idea how much if any unused material there is from the sessions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@The Doctor's Holy Grail :P 

Botanicus-560x420.jpg

Thanks, guys!

I find it both fascinating and heartbreaking that the first gen recordings of the ET album-only cues burned up in the Universal fire simply because of a slight difference in labeling compared to the recording days that were only for film cues.  I'm surprised no one's mentioned that yet!

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I watched Sugarland just last year but I honestly can't remember if there was enough material to justify a standalone release.  I suppose if they priced it a little cheaper than the normal expansion that would be ok.  Of course we have no idea how much if any unused material there is from the sessions.

Oh, there's enough material to justify a release. Easily over 40 minutes' worth

And great interview, Jay!

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Wow! It's actually called Botanicus Theme!

:yes:

Just now, Corellian2019 said:

And great interview, Jay!

Thanks!

These interviews are always super interesting to read!

Big thanks to Jay for asking well thought through questions, and to a very knowledgeable Mike for answering them.

A real treat for fans to read!

OOOHHH I've been waiting for this since Jay started teasing this... Can't wait to get a few minutes to read this start to end... I love Jay's interviews always so meticulous! 

If you just line up cues in order, then you’re making a museum piece, not an album. It’s certainly a valid approach, and the one most labels follow, but every so often there’s a good reason to make a change.

I have begun to sense lately that there is a greater interest in having a good listening experience rather than just collecting an inventory of cues. But in the case of “The Falling Car,” I remember discussions back in the day among fans who were discovering film music through Jurassic Park and noting that the cue was at the start of the album rather than where it belonged. I personally prefer it to be in sequence because of the way the score is structured, but since there are no themes in the cue there’s a valid argument that it gives the album more of a ‘bang’ opening.

Indeed! Complete and chronological is thorough, but doesn't always make for a good listening experience.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why would Universal first want to do ET and then be unable to go through with it? Is it because they somehow couldn't fit pressing physical copies into their scheudle or something?

Sometimes a third party is needed to license the album cues from the album-rights holder and the film cues from the film-rights holder and then release a combined product as a third party.  Universal Music Group and Universal Studios may have similar names but are run are completely separate entities.  Could be something like that.

9 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

This could have been a standard interview, but your questions made it actually an interesting interview. There are many professional interviewers that could learn from you.

Aw, shucks, thanks!

And am I mistaken or is it the original La-La Land cover of The Lost World, for the first time?:)

:yes:

I was wondering when someone would point that out!

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I do wonder if Mike has had conversations with Disney about some expanded Star Wars releases even though he says no expansions are imminent. 

I would think that, given he's definitively telling us no SW expansions are coming this year (note he isn't referring to LLL here, rather more generally), he's in-the-know about what Disney are doing with the scores and the status of that project. 

Also, great interview Jay! Another fantastic read and really gets into the technical details you ordinarily don't get in these sorts of interviews. 

An excellent interview Jay! Also you ask all the right questions. Especially when JW fans are concerned. :) 

Wow finally got a chance to read the whole thing. Excellent work Jay!

like others have mentioned it really shines a light on the work people like MM do for these releases and makes us fans all the more appreciative. 

On on another note i don’t want to seem mean spirited here but I wish more interviews / articles on FSM took this approach. I’d still be a subscriber then.