21st Century Fox Pursuing Sale of ‘Most of the Company’ to Walt Disney

Jay

I don't know if it would affect their back catalog at all, its just for the studio making new movies I assumed.

and that star wars the original film could be now part of disney.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I don't know if it would affect their back catalog at all, its just for the studio making new movies I assumed.

oh

Doesn't make sense to me to do that until the X-Men franchise hits troubles and none of the actors want to return.  It's still going strong as-is

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

One day, Disney will own everything. Star Trek, Titanic, Batman, Doctor Who...

I think we're a way off from Disney owning anything WB or DC related. WB is its chief rival as an institution and will continue fighting on for the foreseeable future.

I'm not surprised about Fox however. It's kind of receded into almost second tier studio status in the last few years, where most of its big blockbuster flicks were either financial disappointments, or its hits weren't enough to sustain the shortfall in other areas. Essentially, the brand doesn't signify high quality and prestige like it used to, since many of its recent films have been garbage.

I think Paramount and Universal are fine for now. But look out for Sony...

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

What's Universal got going for it apart from the Furious and Jurassic franchises? (Despicable/Minions too to an extent)

Their attempt at starting a 'horror' universe has not started well.

Are you joking? They're the third biggest studio in the world!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Ah. Haven't seen them except for bits of the first one on tele. Any good?

Nope.

They were supposed to be building a 20th Century Fox theme park in some foreign country with attractions based on Titanic and Aliens, including a massive replica of the ship itself. I've been waiting years for any news.

This potential sale is especially concerning given the recent story of Disney blacklisting the Los Angeles Times for publishing an unflattering story about their business ties to the City of Anaheim.

Any corporation, especially one with as much power and reach as Disney, that behaves that way with a major press outlet, where they had better only publish things that make them look good 'or else' is abhorrent.

The annual Holiday Movie Sneaks section published by the Los Angeles Times typically includes features on movies from all major studios, reflecting the diversity of films Hollywood offers during the holidays, one of the busiest box-office periods of the year. This year, Walt Disney Co. studios declined to offer The Times advance screenings, citing what it called unfair coverage of its business ties with Anaheim. The Times will continue to review and cover Disney movies and programs when they are available to the public.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-holiday-movie-preview-2017-times-note-on-disney-1509668978-htmlstory.html

The offending story: Is Disney paying its share in Anaheim? The money battle outside the Happiest Place on Earth.

It's funny.  I bet many executives at Disney would consider themselves anti-Trump yet they behave just as pettily and pathetically when receiving negative press.

50 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This potential sale is especially concerning given the recent story of Disney blacklisting the Los Angeles Times for publishing an unflattering story about their business ties to the City of Anaheim.

Any corporation, especially one with as much power and reach as Disney, that behaves that way with a major press outlet, where they had better only publish things that make them look good 'or else' is abhorrent.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-holiday-movie-preview-2017-times-note-on-disney-1509668978-htmlstory.html

The offending story: Is Disney paying its share in Anaheim? The money battle outside the Happiest Place on Earth.

It's funny.  I bet many executives at Disney would consider themselves anti-Trump yet they behave just as pettily and pathetically when receiving negative press.

Surely this his would affect competition as Disney would own so much of the entertainment industry?

I wonder if Apple would be interested. A Netflix style streaming service and their own tv content is in the pipeline. Maybe if Fox start selling stuff off individually rather than wholesale.

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Hopefully, Disney will also get the rights for the LOTR TV series.

The Professor would be spinning in his grave!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I hope you guys realize that when Disney will buy JWFAN, every member who trashed the company will be banned forever.

Just sayin'.

Good!  Those loyal to the cause will start a resistance.  Our forum will be called Radio Free Williams.