La La Land Records Black Friday 2017

Laserschwert

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I watched the first season and a half, and can't remember anything particularly striking. 

That's because the music mostly sucked. It started to get good in season 2 when Christophe Beck (Ant-Man) started working on the show. He left after season 4 except for the season 5 finale and musical episode in season 6, but others did good work after him. I'd give the sound samples a chance. Not all the music was amazing but there was enough really good stuff for a 4 disc set, for sure.

Also, there are a good number of people at FSM excited and posting about it besides acathla (including myself); he's just the most vocal.

Yavar

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I assume the show eventually got good too.  Man, the 30 hours I spent with it was a real slog.

Show gets very very good around the last third of season 2 (though I still had fun with most of it before that, despite it being horribly cheesy...the season one main villain was as bad as the music!) Then season 3 is also incredibly strong, season 4 somewhat weaker with a few amazing highlights (Hush, Restless), season 5 very strong again despite the introduction of a character who many fans hate. Season 6 is somewhat divisive because it is rather dark and depressing and season 5's finale would have made a strong end to the show...but I think it's got a lot of strong stuff though I begin to tire of the title character in all honestly. Then season 7 is the weakest since the first season, until a pretty kick-ass finale (think Star Trek TNG).

Yavar

2 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

So you think Buffy will sell better/ more popular than Star Trek?

I don't know; it's an unknown quantity in terms of box sets from our labels. But they might think it would sell as it is a cult classic by a popular currently-active creator, celebrating its 20th anniversary. And unlike Trek, it is not overly exposed in terms of releases -- there was a single disc score album just a few years ago, and before that only a handful of score cues included along with the album for the musical episode. How many discs of Trek scoring are out there now? :)

Yavar

LLLCD 1433 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $29.98

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

John Williams

LLLCD 1439 – 1 CD – LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS - $19.98

The Russia House

Jerry Goldsmith

LLLCD 1446 – 4 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $49.98

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

John Williams

LLLCD 1447 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $29.98

Jurassic Park III

Don Davis

LLLCD 1450 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS - $29.98

The Swarm

Jerry Goldsmith

:wub:That would be cool ... and expensive ... but it is just for 60% probable.:wub:

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

LLLCD 1446 – 4 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $49.98

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

John Williams

This set would definitely be $60

I’m gonna go with The Mummy / The Mummy Returns for the 4 disc set, even though I’m probably wrong.

I dont know enough about JP III’s music outside of the bootleg to know if there’s enough music to warrant a 2 disc set. 

I’m always pleasantly surprised by LLL’s Black Friday releases. I have no idea what they will be and I enjoy being surprised. 

JP III barely goes onto 2 CDs, although that's without any alternates that might exist. My guess is it probably would, especially if they decided to include the OST arrangement.

Although I'm not sure we have any specific reason to expect it, other than completing the trilogy they started last year.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

JP III barely goes onto 2 CDs, although that's without any alternates that might exist. My guess is it probably would, especially if they decided to include the OST arrangement.

Although I'm not sure we have any specific reason to expect it, other than completing the trilogy they started last year.

I may be mistaken, but I believe after the JP collection was issued last year, MV mentioned JP III was coming at some point.

Here’s the actual response;

2. We hope to release JP 3 at a later date, but thought it was not necessary to include it on this package since, after all, it's called The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection. wink

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=6&threadID=117626&archive=0

23 minutes ago, azahid said:

I think it's TITANIC. The full score on disc 1& 2, the alternates and source music on disc 3&4.

That makes sense to me.  A $10 discount from the usual 4-disc price since it’s only one score.

I’m just not sure Titanic would go to a specialty label.  Happy to be wrong on that for sure!!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That makes sense to me.  A $10 discount from the usual 4-disc price since it’s only one score.

I’m just not sure Titanic would go to a specialty label.  Happy to be wrong on that for sure!!

Yeah. but after LLL's BRAVEHEART anything is possible ;) 

Is JP3 even long enough for 2 CDs? The film is barely 90 minutes, albeit seemingly scored wall-to-wall (with lots of unused music in the final cut after realising how poorly spotted it was).

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Russia House

Jerry Goldsmith

How much unreleased music there is left off from the uncommonly generous 50+ minute album?

18 minutes ago, Incanus said:

How much unreleased music there is left off from the uncommonly generous 50+ minute album?

60, actually. Probably about 8 minutes, but it's repetitive as it is. 

And it's still in wide circulation. Pass. Honestly, apart from Potter III there is not much sexiness to the alleged candidates. I just lack the ability to shed happy tears over releases i already have complete in often perfect sound only because they now have a 10-page booklet. Some i will buy as an act of duty - i still have shrinkwrapped releases i never even bothered to unpack - but there's very little musical interest in updating 'The Swarm', 'Harry Potter' or 'CEOTK'.

I hope there's some older colourful stuff like 'Land Before Time', 'Willow' or even 'Balto' among them.

I dreamt last night that the Black Friday releases were in a room covered with sheets, like Christmas presents before the big day. Close Encounters was included in a gold colored triple box set, bundled with another Jurassic Park set and a special narration CD talking about John Williams, voiced by Jason LeBlanc. I didn't get a look at the price tag. 

I need to stop drinking beers at 10:30.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Apparently 8 minutes. OST is fine, but some people consider C&C worth existing.