Rian Johnson developing a fourth Star Wars trilogy... Oh my..

crocodile

The prospect of yet another trilogy wouldn't normally excite much, but since this is separate from the Skywalker saga and Rian Johnson is steering the whole thing, I can't help but be quite intrigued by this

3 hours ago, Will said:

Another good thing - three new chances for (hopefully) three different composers to take a crack at SW!

I have always assumed the Williams would not score SW beyond IX, even if able.  However, if he enjoyed working with Johnson (and vice/versa), this would open the possibility (even if small) to Williams working beyond IX.  

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have always assumed the Williams would not score SW beyond IX, even if able.  However, if he enjoyed working with Johnson (and vice/versa), this would open the possibility (even if small) to Williams working beyond IX.  

Thought the same. Johnson's involvement, if JW really enjoyed their collaboration, could convince him to do just the first film and establish the music tapestry. But I think IX will be it for Williams, he will score every Skywalker film and that will be his legacy (and frankly I'll just be happy if he finishes this trilogy).

But hopefully we're still having anxiety-inducing discussions like this when he's in his late 90s scoring Indiana Jones 6. ;)

As for the announcement itself, I figured they'd do a new trilogy of unrelated movies. They knew there had to be a pause on the Skywalker series before doing Episode X, and they can't do Anthology movies every year for a decade, so a new trilogy mixes things up and fills the gap between IX and X. I'm guessing it's an Old Republic series?

this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga

Oh yes yes yes! Possible spoilers for the Last Jedi based on leaks: 

Spoiler

Snoke is someone for the Old Republic, and he will be the tie-in to a new trilogy set then. Then this must be it! Halle-fucking-luja!

6 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I'm considering skipping TLJ and wait to see it on tele.

It's a Netflixer for me. Don't wanna see Luke Skywalker on a rock in Ireland.

5 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

This must mean they have full confidence in The Last Jedi. Whoa! Now I really can't wait to see it.

Even if this turned out to be a turkey though, they'd still make a third trilogy. Just without Rian. 

9 hours ago, Fal said:

Are we certain this isn't a trilogy of "spinoff" films?

It is, in the sense that it isn't part of the narrative thrust of the nine episodes. That much is clear.

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around that new... trend (I'm guessing this is going to become a trend)? A studio announcing not a sequel, but a whole trilogy before the second film of the trilogy they're working on is even released. I mean, what the... It's like: "Hey, look! Look! Our film is coming, but who cares? Look! There'll be a trilogy after that!" and you can bet before the first film of that new trilogy is released, they'll announce JJ Abrams is working on another trilogy to follow that one! "Look! Look! The trilogy we're working on is old news! There's a new trilogy coming! And you know what? Don't think too much about that one, because there'll be another after it!"

Can we go back to announcing films one at a time, preferably with each one being announced AFTER the film it's supposed to follow is released?

You can thank Lord of the Rings for that.

Maybe this is a trick to build up hype for TLJ.

Show confidence in Johnson (who apparently they did not need to fire) so people think what he did is really good.

That puts people in theaters, bringing in more money.

If they're right about the quality of the film, then that's a clever strategy. ;)

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It's a Netflixer for me. Don't wanna see Luke Skywalker on a rock in Ireland.

It’ll never be on Netflix. You’ll have to watch it on Disney’s new streaming service. 

Also, Ireland > you 

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

You can thank Lord of the Rings for that.

It's not quite the same. This was an adaptation of a book trilogy, with a single story spread over these three books, so they logically announced all three films together. The story was already there, all they did was decide to film it all at once because it was logistically easier to do that.

Here, there are already 5 (or so) upcoming SW movies, including a trilogy that isn't yet concluded, and they announce another trilogy on top of that, for which they don't even have a story yet, just because "gotta keep the SW ball rolling" and they want to keep the hype up to 11.

I really hope we find out the origins of The Force with this one.

How did The Force get its start? Why does it always need balance? Why do some people have The Force and others don't? Why is there a light and dark side? Why does The Force feel the need to control and bind everything together? How long does it need to sleep before it awakens?  Was there an epic, cataclysmic fight where both sides of The Force threw planets and stars at each other (hence 'Star' Wars)? Is The Force capable of time travel and warp speed?  And who will play the Light & Dark sides? Casting is critical.

It's time to lift the shroud of mystery on The Force. These are questions Star Wars fans have been asking themselves for 40 years.  We need answers.

23 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It’ll never be on Netflix. You’ll have to watch it on Disney’s new streaming service. 

Also, Ireland > you 

I love Ireland but it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. What's next? Star Wars visits Brussels?!

f8d9bd7e0d35d9232aa9858983318335.jpg

763?appId=2dc96dd3f167e919913d808324cbfe

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I love Ireland but it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me.

I've always thought this myself.  The first time I saw that rock in TFA it took me right out of the film. It's a stunning location, but it feels like it belongs in GOT more than Star Wars.

Actually, the Aussie Outback could be quite Star Warsy for us Euro thrashers.

rb00001.png

Look at that red sky! Now imagine some cloaked silhouettes in the distance! Can you feel it?!

48 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's not quite the same. This was an adaptation of a book trilogy, with a single story spread over these three books, so they logically announced all three films together. The story was already there, all they did was decide to film it all at once because it was logistically easier to do that.

True. And it was all filmed simultaneously. Here, we know thanks to Johnson that there wasn't even much of a story outline.

What I meant is that as a film trilogy, Lord of the Rings changed the perception of what a film franchise should be (including in terms of marketing) and paved the way for the modern "cinematic universe" logic.

40 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It's time to lift the shroud of mystery on The Force. These are questions Star Wars fans have been asking themselves for 40 years.  We need answers.

And that's exactly why that should never happen. After all that time, no answer in the world is going to be satisfying. It will just be demistifying.

Early marketing had us believe The Last Jedi would dabble in this, but I never bought it, nor do I want it. It's just wrong.

47 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Here, there are already 5 (or so) upcoming SW movies, including a trilogy that isn't yet concluded, and they announce another trilogy on top of that, for which they don't even have a story yet, just because "gotta keep the SW ball rolling" and they want to keep the hype up to 11.

The news broke as it was announced to shareholders. They keep Disney going so have to be informed of stuff like this. They want to know what’s happening with their investment and what’s being done to make them lots of money. It’s impossible to keep this sort of thing quiet when you announce it to them so a press release follows. 

You can, of course, vote with your wallet and not give Disney any of your money if you feel like what they’re doing is wrong. 

34 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I love Ireland but it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. What's next? Star Wars visits Brussels?!

It’s as much Star Wars as a red wood forest in California. 

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

And that's exactly why that should never happen. After all that time, no answer in the world is going to be satisfying. It will just be demistifying.

Rubbish.

I'm calling it now...Morgan Freeman as The Light Side.

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm actually considering skipping the spin-off movies in theaters from now on, and depending on what this trilogy will explore, skip that one too. Torrents it is!

That's what I've been doing with comic book movies. I just pre-ordered the torrent for Justice League.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

The problem in TFA does not lie with the shooting location (except for the resistance base) but more with how it's designed, tweaked and enhanced wether with real props or CGI. Ireland could perfectly fit the Star Wars universe but it lacks some newness to it. It does not feel exotic nor "far far away".

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

And who will play the Light & Dark sides? Casting is critical.

Dark side :

- Anthony Hopkins

- Kenneth Branagh

- Kerry Washington

+ unknown actor/actress

The light :

- Michael Caine

- Lena Headay

- Taron Egerton

+ unknown actor/actress

10 minutes ago, toothless said:

The problem in TFA does not lie with the shooting location (except for the resistance base) but more with how it's designed, tweaked and enhanced wether with real props or CGI. Ireland could perfectly fit the Star Wars universe but it lacks some newness to it. It does not feel exotic nor "far far away".

That much is true.

In a way, Star Wars locales need to feel more fimiliar because it's a much less tangiable universe due to the setting of an entire galaxy, so each planet is reduced to one kind of landscape that needs to be grounded.

But The Force Awakens is taking it a bit far. You can just tell. "Oh, now we're in Ireland."

I think this is great news - especially the part about it being “all new” - a way to show that Star Wars has legs without relying on the characters and imagery already established.  I really like Johnson’s stuff - must be a good sign for Episode VIII

1 hour ago, toothless said:

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

That much is true.

In a way, Star Wars locales need to feel more fimiliar because it's a much less tangiable universe due to the setting of an entire galaxy, so each planet is reduced to one kind of landscape that needs to be grounded.

But The Force Awakens is taking it a bit far. You can just tell. "Oh, now we're in Ireland."

Completely disagree, I thought those shots were some of the most striking in that film, which otherwise felt and looked like business as usual for the rest of it. When I think about Star Wars I do not think "exotic" anyway. Like Tatooine before it, in '77, I appreciate the more familiar but eerie flavours in the broadly diverse locales of Star Wars. 

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Completely disagree, I thought those shots were some of the most striking in that film, which otherwise felt and looked like business as usual for the rest of it. When I think about Star Wars I do not think "exotic" anyway. Like Tatooine before it, in '77, I appreciate the more familiar but eerie flavours in the broadly diverse locales of Star Wars. 

I understand that :) The problem is when I watch Star Wars I don't want to find myself thinking "oh Ireland is a beautiful place, I should visit it".

Just now, Quintus said:

That's actually exactly what I do whenever I watch anything with great scenery. Lord of the Rings basically acted as a massive New Zealand tourist ad in that way. 

You know what ? You're right :) LOTR did the same thing to me, so I guess my feeling is just about Star Ward then.

It's a happy coincidence more than anything though and the tourism thing isn't my point anyway. I just like cinematic places with fantastic texture and colour, regardless of the genre. Also, great swathes of the UK look like that, actually. The topography in those closing TFA scenes isn't exclusive to that part of the Irish coast. 

32 minutes ago, toothless said:

You know what ? You're right :) LOTR did the same thing to me, so I guess my feeling is just about Star Ward then.

Mythical stories like King Arthur or LOTR take place on Earth (in ancient times) so resemblances to familiar places on Earth actually feel quite natural.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

How good or bad a film is has little to do with how good or bad score is, usually.  Certainly with JW, who is infatuated with Daisy Ridley regardless of the quality of the film :P

Who knows… Rey might be killed during the very first few minutes !

And the credits says "Music for the 10 first minutes by John Williams". :biglaugh:

35 minutes ago, toothless said:

Let's hope it's a "Soundtrack addict" pleaser !

"With a surprising powerful performances by Mark Hamill and the late Carrie Fisher, the only aspect of this film that disappoints is the score."