Rian Johnson developing a fourth Star Wars trilogy... Oh my..

crocodile

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

"With a surprising powerful performances by Mark Hamill and the late Carrie Fisher, the only aspect of this film that disappoints is the score."  

"Beware soundtrack fans. This is not what you expect form the fifty times oscar nominee John Williams. Instead of what could have been a magnificent score, Williams delivers a bland score that barely fits the screenplay. The composer don't seem to be able to expand its palette and falls short when trying to add modern technics such as BRAAAAAAMs and BOOM DAM BOOM to the score."

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

"Williams' music is overly intrusive, the composer making it his duty to force emotions down the viewers' throats, telling them how they should feel instead of letting the visuals speak for themselves. It is sentimentality at its very worst. One wishes he would actually tone it down to let the audience appreciate the sound effects."

-Ben Burtt 

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

"Williams' music is overly intrusive[...]One wishes he would actually tone it down.״

In other words, one wishes Williams would pull a "Force Awakens.";)

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:17 AM, Chen G. said:

In a way, Star Wars locales need to feel more fimiliar because it's a much less tangiable universe due to the setting of an entire galaxy, so each planet is reduced to one kind of landscape that needs to be grounded.

But The Force Awakens is taking it a bit far. You can just tell. "Oh, now we're in Ireland."

In a Star Wars film, I'd rather be immediately able to tell "Oh, this is Ireland", than "Oh, we're in a studio" or "Now we're in front of a massive green screen", as was the case with the prequels. And how, pray, was TFA "taking it too far", when it was only in the final five minutes of the film where it was shot in a somewhat-recognizable locale? First time I've heard this complaint. No one I know has ever said "Man, those last few scenes in TFA, you know, the ones shot in Ireland, completely took me out of the film. It looked way too natural! I could immediately tell where they shot those scenes! Very jarring!"

Besides, you seem to unequivocally adore the LOTR trilogy, and each of those films are basically 4-hour tourism ads for New Zealand. Why should the natural scenery in the last few minutes of a Star Wars film bother you?

The last five minutes of TFA were the best looking part of the film.

Even JJ couldn’t fuck it up despite the waxy washed out look the rest of the film has.

Now, everybody, come and visit Ireland and spend your tourist monies here. 

Dont worry BB, I’m sure you’ll be able to torrent it or something. 

Just now, Tom said:

I apologize for making a Star Wars reference in a Star Wars thread.  

:lol:

I just didn't recognize it!  Star Wars references fly so fast and freely around here I don't always catch them.

51 minutes ago, Tom said:

"With a surprising powerful performances by Mark Hamill and the late Carrie Fisher, the only aspect of this film that disappoints is the score."  

"Score was okay but I don't remember having any 'HOLY SHIT' moments with the music. None of the new themes really stand out, just old ones like Rey's Theme and Kylo Ren's Theme. Wtf happened to John Williams?"

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

In a Star Wars film, I'd rather be immediately able to tell "Oh, this is Ireland", than "Oh, we're in a studio" or "Now we're in front of a massive green screen", as was the case with the prequels. And how, pray, was TFA "taking it too far", when it was only in the final five minutes of the film where it was shot in a somewhat-recognizable locale? First time I've heard this complaint. No one I know has ever said "Man, those last few scenes in TFA, you know, the ones shot in Ireland, completely took me out of the film. It looks way too natural! I could immediately tell where they shot those scenes! Very jarring!"

Besides, you seem to unequivocally adore the LOTR trilogy, and each of those films are basically 4-hour tourism ads for New Zealand. Why should the natural scenery in the last few minutes of a Star Wars film bother you?

It's not really a narrative complaint. It's more of an observation. And it's not just the island: the Ressistance base and the Forest around Maz Canata's palace were also feeling "fimiliar."

And yes, I adore the Middle Earth films but with those the filmmakers were very much aware of the fact that Tolkien constructed Middle Earth as a fictional history of our Earth (pretending that it somehow underwent a massive tectonic shift 7,000 years ago or something like that) so the fimiliarity works in that franchise. Also, they used grading and effects to give it an otherworldly quality that is missing from parts of The Force Awakens.

Mind you, I still like the movie (although I'm yet to move too far past "like") and it's certainly better than overloading the CGI artists or grading the film into submission.

From the little we've seen, The Last Jedi already seems to be handling the otherworldlyness of the Star Wars universe better.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Even if this turned out to be a turkey though, they'd still make a third trilogy. Just without Rian. 

Yeah, but it's unlikely they'd hire him for another whole trilogy in the first place, if they thought TLJ was a turkey. I think the film is probably going to be very well received. Will see. 

8 hours ago, toothless said:

Do we know if Johnson will write the 3 movies ? Or maybe he'll just write the first one and just shape the teilogy with ideas ?

I imagine he'll get co-writing credit at least.

51 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It's not really a narrative complaint. It's more of an observation. And it's not just the island: the Ressistance base and the Forest around Maz Canata's palace were also feeling "fimiliar."

And yes, I adore the Middle Earth films but with those the filmmakers were very much aware of the fact that Tolkien constructed Middle Earth as a fictional history of our Earth (pretending that it somehow underwent a massive tectonic shift 7,000 years ago or something like that) so the fimiliarity works in that franchise. Also, they used grading and effects to give it an otherworldly quality that is missing from parts of The Force Awakens.

Mind you, I still like the movie (although I'm yet to move too far past "like") and it's certainly better than overloading the CGI artists or grading the film into submission.

From the little we've seen, The Last Jedi already seems to be handling the otherworldlyness of the Star Wars universe better.

You make some good points, though to be fair, Star Wars as a whole has always featured very familiar landscapes, not just in TFA alone. In the original trilogy, almost every world featured biomes that were identical in nearly every way to those found on Earth (deserts, jungles, snowy wastelands, swamps, forests, etc). The only planet in the original films that had an ecosystem unlike anything seen on Earth is Bespin, the gas planet in ESB, and that's it. TFA was merely capitalizing on that trend by introducing familiar worlds such as Takodana, D'Qar, Atch-to, and Jakku.

2 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

You make some good points, though to be fair, Star Wars as a whole has always featured very familiar landscapes, not just in TFA alone.

Sure. Like I said, Tatooine is the name of the actual place where the desert scenes were shot. And than there's the Vietnamese landscape of the Wookie planet.

Again, because a galaxy isn't geographically tangiable to us (compared to something like Middle Earth, ostensibly a single continent), and since each episode - by design - features multiple planets, they all need to be distilled to a single archetype of environment: be it the city in the clouds of Bespin, the desert of Tatooine, etc...

But we have Rogue One serving as a cautionary tale of what happens when this aesthetic is taken way too far....

Speaking of ROTJ, it's interesting that the legendary status and pop culture phenomenon that is Star Wars is really built on the reputation of only two truly outstanding films. Two films out of eight (and counting) that are genuine genre classics.  The rest range from very good to downright poor, but they really haven't made a genuinely great film since Empire.

Classics...Star Wars, Empire

Good, but not great...ROTJ, TFA, Rogue One, ROTS

Mediocre to poor....TPM

Unwatchable...AOTC

Sadly, the only part of ROTJ that really holds up for me today is the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff and the space battle. But GL's lack of interest in the whole thing is apparent all over the screen, and most of the film just sadly fizzles out.  

And it already showed a propensity to overuse rear projection and green screen. Even some of the practical effects aren't as good.

The film loses its narrative thrust twice and for long stretches of time, and it splits the finale into three parallel storylines which is way too fragmented, especially since only one of them really works. It's unfortunate that it takes forty minutes to rescue Han only for him to be just kind of there...

Even the score isn't as great as the previous two.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Solo being a dud of a character in ROTJ had nothing to do with him being emasculated, which he wasn't.

Carbon freeze is like jumping into a cold swimming pool. Only much, much worse.

At least his eyesight returned.

8 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

tumblr_me8eplQNhb1qmo5jpo1_250.gif

He can't post that! Shoot him! Or something!

9c0ad8e6-5d2e-46ce-8ddf-6f0e309e3c8e.gif

11 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Sadly, the only part of ROTJ that really holds up for me today is the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff and the space battle. But GL's lack of interest in the whole thing is apparent all over the screen, and most of the film just sadly fizzles out.  

You figured that out today? I could have told you that in 1983.

20 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Hopefully Powell knocks Solo out of the park!

I hope so… But given the whole movie has been re shaped, Powell would have worked with a far from finished canvas… So I don't get my hopes up for the music in the movie. But let's hope the album has some nice suite in it !

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Would Powell even have started work on a film that’s been not out until May? 

I don't know but the thing is, when will Howard have a first draft of the movie to show Powell ?

I highly doubt he'll even see the film for another few months. They probably have a mess on their hands and they need a few months in the AVID suite to assemble some semblance of a movie.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They probably have a mess on their hands and they need a few to assemble some semblance of a m

Review_DuelMustafarRedo_stillB.JPG

Get a competent composer, immediately.