The Orville vs Discovery: 9 episodes in

Jay

The Orville's first 9 episodes vs Star Trek: Discovery's first 9 episodes  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which set of episodes do you prefer?

• The Orville's first 9 episodes are better than Star Trek: Discovery's first 9 episodes
    • Star Trek: Discovery's first 9 episodes are better than The Orville''s first 9 episodes
    • I have not seen all 9 episodes of both shows yet.

Well, if you absolutely must know:

ALL of the feature films.

Original series: 10 episodes

TNG: About 75%

VOYAGER: About 50%

DSN: About 30%

ENTERPRISE: About 10%

DISCOVERY: 100%

I'll leave it to you to evaluate whether this is informed enough to have a valid opinion.

All that being said, I'm willing to give DSN another go. I haven't seen most of these shows since the 90s.

You didn't see enough DS9! That's your problem! ;)

Seriously, given where you say your preferences lie, DS9 should be right up your alley. I don't know which "30%" you've seen, but I'd suggest going back and watching seasons 4-7.  

In any event, I don't think it's fair to just dismiss it all as "cheesy". But as I said, you're entitled to your opinion.

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

In any event, I don't think it's fair to just dismiss it all as "cheesy". But as I said, you're entitled to your opinion.

It has more to do with this specific science fiction "recipe" than just STAR TREK, in particular. I sometimes -- somewhat derogatorily -- label it "pointy ear sci fi" with people with weird faces and pointy ears speaking fluently English. I have the same problems with FARSCAPE and earlier STARGATE incarnations, for example. Doesn't matter if the drama lies elsewhere; I just find it utterly silly and campy. Only occasionally do I tolerate these particular elements, and usually because of some "extra" factor (B5, STAR WARS, a few others).

But yes -- as I mentioned earlier, I'm willing to give DS9 another go when opportunity allows.

One show has multiple likeable characters who get developed, and an enemy alien race dealt with in a surprisingly intelligent and thought-provoking way. Anyone who has seen both shows up to this point knows which show that describes, and which it (sadly) does not.

Yavar

Considering what this TV show is (genre comedy), I think they're remarkably very well done actually. I mean, I'd say the special effects are better than anything I've seen in newer Doctor Who.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Considering what this TV show is (genre comedy), I think they're remarkably very well done actually. I mean, I'd say the special effects are better than anything I've seen in newer Doctor Who.

But you've only seen the pilot so far, right?  There are special effects in later episode that are a drop in quality compared to the pilot's.

I'm just surprised to see actual moaning about the quality of the visuals in something pretty ambitious like this is. TV nerds expect way too much - and in its fledgling season to boot!

I think the special effects didn't have to be anywhere near as major as they are, and the show would still work. It'd still be quite acceptable.

I don't recall seeing any moaning anywhere.  Simply a statement that the effects in Discovery's pilot were better.  That's it.

They're not Discovery level, but so what? The effects in Orville are good enough to service the plot and tell the story, and that's enough.  I actually find the effects kind of charming.

And unlike Discovery, I don't feel like I'm watching a video game.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

The effects in Orville are good enough to service the plot and tell the story, and that's enough.  I actually find the effects kind of charming.

Totally agreed

1 hour ago, Jay said:

And again, there is not a single post in this thread of anybody saying they are bad.

It's been implied here and there. But really I just think you need to relax about it.

I voted The Orville. I don't hate Discovery but I've got a lot of problems with it - i.e. one of the main problems being what exactly is the point of this being set pre-TOS when pretty much everything besides Michael Burnham being Spock's sister (which is TOTALLY contrived and adds nothing to the show) could more comfortably fit post-Voyager? And the Klingon war is not an excuse when the 'Klingons' of Disco could easily be given another name and simply be another race entirely, thus getting rid of any controversy over their lack of Klingonness. Then there's no need for this to be a Klingon War and it can just be another war with a new alien race instead.

As for The Orville - no it's not as beautifully done as Discovery and doesn't have that kind of budget, fine. But it looks pretty nice and vintage Trek regardless. It doesn't always get the balance between humour and drama right. MacFarlane is a genius in many ways but he has a juvenile side that sometimes jars for me, or just plain doesn't make me laugh. That said, The Orville has made me THINK and contemplate the concepts at play a lot more than Discovery has. So that's pure Trek. The Orville could do better with fleshing out its characters as it goes along but ultimately they are a more cohesive and likeable team than the morbid crew of the Discovery so for now, I will say The Orville.

I hope Discovery does better because I'm actually a hardcore DS9 fan and not one of the Trekkies who despises any 'darkness' or serialisation, so I'm not allergic to Discovery's underlying premises. But it's just not...gelling yet.

Pretty annoying that the season final episode of DISCOVERY isn't untill January. I've never understood this phenomenon where the penultimate episode is aired MONTHS before the final episode. It if had been a season break, fine. But to have that kind of gap between the next-to-last and last? Why?

The season finale isn't until February, Thor.

Discovery resumes on 7-1-2018 and ends its first season on 11-2-2018. 

There's 6 more episodes in this season which has a total of 15. As advertised for many many months now.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Pretty annoying that the season final episode of DISCOVERY isn't untill January. I've never understood this phenomenon where the penultimate episode is aired MONTHS before the final episode. It if had been a season break, fine. But to have that kind of gap between the next-to-last and last? Why?

I'm not sure why you think there' only 1 episodes remaining, there's actually 6 remaining.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK, then. But I don't like mid-season finales either (besides, the last aired episode wasn't much of a mid-season finale anyway).

The ship ending up in an alternate universe of somesort, right after pretty much ending the Klingon war, not a good mid-season finale?

Sure...

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've never understood this phenomenon where the penultimate episode is aired MONTHS before the final episode.

What show does this?

It's something I've seen more and more. The gap between episodes are drawn out (and not only because of holiday breaks). BOB'S BURGERS is a show currently doing this, for example.

Several shows airing one last episode ages after the next-to-last. Let me consult my TV show list and get back to you for examples.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard of any show saving just one episode for a month delay

The NFL puts a two week break between their penultimate episode and the season finale each year. That's the closest thing I can think of. 

:baaa: