Turning of the tide (or just the same old crap)?

thestat

This year, as in all others, we have had good orchestral scores by Doyle, Desplat, Young, Giacchino, Williams ... But I do not know, I can not see the tide turning. What I see is that people are thrilled with Giacchino's hiring for the Marvel films and the hiring of Elfman, and probably Giacchino in "The Batman", for DC movies. As the biggest blockbusters tend to serve as a reference for many smaller movies a lot of people see this as a turning point.

Conclusion: At the end of the day people are excited about Giacchino. They see him as the composer of the next decade.

As of yet, i could identify the following scores that - generously speaking - could enter a competition for 2017. There is not one Marvel or DC film on there.

A UNITED KINGDOM, Patrick Doyle

BITTER  HARVEST, Benjamin Wallfisch

CELLO, Randy Kerber

THE FOUNDER, Carter Burwell

JANE by Philip Glass

LE SECRET DE LA CHAMBRE NOIRE, Gregoire Hetzel

LOGAN, Marco Beltrami

OSTWIND AUFBRUCH NACH ORA, Annette Focks

Paddington 2, DARIO MARIANELLI

REBEL IN THE RYE, Bear McCready

THE RENDEZVOUS, Austin Wintory

THE SNOWMAN, Marco Beltrami

SUBURBICON, Alexandre Desplat

TULP FEVER, Danny Elfman

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS, Alexandre Desplat

VICEROY'S HOUSE, A.R. Rahman

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, Michael Giacchino

3 hours ago, publicist said:

As of yet, i could identify the following scores that - generously speaking - could enter a competition for 2017. There is not one Marvel or DC film on there.

A UNITED KINGDOM, Patrick Doyle

BITTER  HARVEST, Benjamin Wallfisch

CELLO, Randy Kerber

THE FOUNDER, Carter Burwell

JANE by Philip Glass

LE SECRET DE LA CHAMBRE NOIRE, Gregoire Hetzel

LOGAN, Marco Beltrami

OSTWIND AUFBRUCH NACH ORA, Annette Focks

Paddington 2, DARIO MARIANELLI

REBEL IN THE RYE, Bear McCready

THE RENDEZVOUS, Austin Wintory

THE SNOWMAN, Marco Beltrami

SUBURBICON, Alexandre Desplat

TULP FEVER, Danny Elfman

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS, Alexandre Desplat

VICEROY'S HOUSE, A.R. Rahman

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, Michael Giacchino

Although I don't agree with all these choices, I like the fact that you also include non-Hollywood scores. I know I keep harping on about this over and over again, but one of the most bewildering phenomena in film score land that I know of is when people make assertions about a general state of affairs by just looking just at a SMALL fragment of Hollywood blockbusters (mostly superhero or action stuff).

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Good orchestral scores by Williams? Did I miss something?

In a few weeks...

The Paper and The Last Jedi.

At least TLJ promises to be great.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

People are thrilled about Marvel hiring Giacchino? What? All we got was an average score and an OK score from him for that studio.

I know I know. It's a criminal conclusion, but I've seen a lot of people thinking like that in the last few days. 

21 hours ago, thestat said:

Blade Runner

I really very much hope you're right!

Watched the new Blade Runner last night and the music was at times unbelievably annoying.

Of course that particular film isn't particularly my cup of tea anyway, but I hope to never hear music like that in a film again.

Looking forward to The Last Jedi already! :D

Pretty standard practice for a certain sect of JWFan though.  Add in the tired old Zimmer/"modern" griping, you've got yourself a thread which is typical example of what makes JWFan Pro so valuable! 

27 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Right, so we’re deeming music that we haven’t heard great just because it’s Williams?

TLJ should be adequately sufficient.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Right, so we’re deeming music that we haven’t heard great just because it’s Williams?

I believe that the seven previous scores are reason enough to believe in Williams.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Six, you mean. Because there's one that is reason enough not to believe in Williams.

At least Rey's theme is good. :)

15 hours ago, El Jefe said:

TLJ should be adequately sufficient.

I liked several things this year but didn't love anything yet. So he might end up on top even with semi-good scores. 

Karol

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You know it wasn't the one I was referring to!

Well, I referred to the 7 episodes. I particularly enjoyed of the music written for all the films, even if the 7th entry paled in front of the others. 

@thestat Was Guardians of the Galaxy 2 a good score? I remembered the song placements more than the score which only has one memorable theme...

I don't think the scores for Dunkirk or Blade Runner advanced anything other than an inspired use of sound design. 

There are ostinato runs all throughout the score for Justice League, ostinati aren't inherently evil, overused, but still an extremely useful rhythmic technique. 

Yes. Dunkirk is a brilliant entry in the much maligned "sound design" genre.  Would that every composer asked to write such music abided by similar attention to detail and fine crafting of sounds.  It shows the artistic heights possible in that type of music - sadly, I'm not sure anyone is capable of that other than Hans.  

Adds to the medium?  I don't know, what does any score add to the medium?  This one, like I said, should set a bar for this type of score, though it probably won't.  It's all well and good to complain about the overpresence of such scores - blame creative direction from uncreative people based on flavor of the month models - but let's also not fall into the childish realm of thinking "glorious 90s scores" are the standard against which to measure everything.  No one should want a proliferation of any one type of film score, but rather the diversity appropriate to fit the diversity found in films themselves. 

Like I said, I haven't seen either movie, but if I had to guess, I would say that the point of these 'sound based' scores is to present us with an artistic path less traveled and one that conveys an alternative musical diction.

23 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Adds to the medium?  I don't know, what does any score add to the medium?  This one, like I said, should set a bar for this type of score, though it probably won't.  It's all well and good to complain about the overpresence of such scores - blame creative direction from uncreative people based on flavor of the month models - but let's also not fall into the childish realm of thinking "glorious 90s scores" are the standard against which to measure everything.  No one should want a proliferation of any one type of film score, but rather the diversity appropriate to fit the diversity found in films themselves. 

A surprisingly reasonable argument in this wacky place of ours. That's rare.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:53 AM, Koray Savas said:

Not logical, but okay. 

That poster considers all 7 Star Wars scores to be "great." It's not logical for him to assume that a man who has composed 7 great scores for a series can/will compose another? That's the most logical kind of prediction one can make!

I'm not going too pretend that people are not allowed to put terrible scores in their films.

I'm also not going to pretend that I'll enjoy their films if they do.

My tastes are not quite that diverse, I'm sorry to say.

10 hours ago, Muldoon said:

That poster considers all 7 Star Wars scores to be "great." It's not logical for him to assume that a man who has composed 7 great scores for a series can/will compose another? That's the most logical kind of prediction one can make!

It isn’t, but it’s whatever. Obvious fanboy is obvious.

Dear god....or whatever. What is this creature Koray Savas. He is probably a Trump supporter and a Brexiteer which invalidates his pass as a human being. Not eligible.

Hey you guys - to quote something you like - have a good regander at Derieviere's work on Remember Me - anyone that likes Davis or Young will be happy with this work,

5 minutes ago, thestat said:

Dear god....or whatever. What is this creature Koray Savas. He is probably a Trump supporter and a Brexiteer which invalidates his pass as a human being. Not eligible.

I don't know about Koray, but supporting Trump is the best thing we have to maintaining free market capitalism and protecting the First and Second Amendments for the foreseeable future, and Brexit was an excellent move by the British people to free themselves from the tyranny of senseless, bloated Eurocracy.

1 hour ago, thestat said:

Baby Jane HUdson - are you a human being or a manufactured bot.

It's interesting to note the infiltration of this scum of life, russia controlled or plain dumb, even on artistic boards. The Grey Pilgrim, how can you support the arts when everything that Trump/Brexit stands for is against free expression? Do not be a tool.

You're so dumb it's amusing.  Perhaps not ignorable after all!

Just some nut who thinks leftists should have a monopoly on creative arts, and conservatives are just blue collar bogans (sparkies, plumbers, brickies, etc) who wouldn't know a film score from a Will-i-am track.

I don't get how he thinks he was able to surmise my or Koray's own political ideas from anything we posted in this thread - pretty sure we both just dismissed him as a dope because of his general demeanor, nothing political.