JW's The Last Jedi's Score - How "cold" are you going in?

crumbs

How "cold" are you going in?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How "cold" are you going in?

• I'll look at the OST cover
    • I'll look at the track-list
    • I'll watch any scoring featurettes or B-Roll that Disney release of the scoring sessions
    • I'll listen to all the samples on iTunes when they're released
    • I'll read descriptions/reviews of the score posted by others
    • I'll listen to the concert suites and end credits suite only
    • I'll listen to the entire OST once before seeing the movie
    • I'll listen to the entire OST on repeat, all day long, for multiple days, until I've memorised the entire score... then see the movie

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/17 at 01:00 AM

With The Last Jedi looming as the second last Star Wars score ever conceived from the mind of John Williams, that leaves few chances to decide how you first experience one. This was a hot topic with The Force Awakens, as many fans chose to discover the score and experience its new themes "cold" in cinemas for the first time. Aided by Disney's steadfast protection of the score to prevent leaks (and with less than a few minutes of score being released pre-release), this made the choice of avoiding the score far easier than the likes of Attack of the Clones (whose OST leaked weeks before release, complete with a music video).

So have you decided how you'll treat his score for The Last Jedi? With less than a month until release, we've uniquely heard nothing of the score. We have no details other than a rumoured tracklist, that the Main Titles were re-recorded, but no indication of JW's direction for the score nor any new themes composed.

So how much are you willing to learn before seeing the film itself?

I see film music like an opera. Sure, you can listen to an album recording divorced from the onscreen action, but ultimately the music is there to work with the images. So I suppose I'll see the film first, although I suppose listening to a few short samples and maybe the odd concert suite prior wouldn't hurt.

I'll look at the cover and the track list, maybe watch some online featurette, but I won't listen to samples or pop it in.  I'm also going to avoid threads with people talking about it, but more because I want to be "colder" for the movie itself.

I'm just concerned that I am going to be disappointed with the music if I hear it in the film first as opposed to the OST.  The music in TFA was mixed in so low and botched in many areas, that it left little impression on those who heard it in the film first.  Furthermore, due to their disappointment, they weren't able to bounce back from that and realize that it is truly an excellent score.

No doubt TLJ score volume in the film will be similar to TFA.

That worries me too.

But its not just the sound mix: its that the score didn't have the same "epic" sound to it and I fear Williams had continued to write music in this vein for this film, as well, perhaps as an attempt to not be as "intrusive" or something of that nature.

A good Star Wars score is an intrusive score!

I already try to keep out of the TLJ threads here. I'll try to go in with no info on the 13th, but I may not be able to do that if we get a scoring featurette like before TFA. I definitely won't look at the tracklist or listen in, though.

I'll love listen to the CD before see the movie but it's impossible, here, in france TLJ out in theater 2 days before the CD release.

Of course, i'll can't wait and i'll see it day one. And after i'll gonna have 2 very long days of waiting to listen the CD again and again...

I'm going to avoid any discussion of the score once it leaks, avoid any discussion of the tracklist once it's announced (it contained way too many plot spoilers for TFA, and I want to know as little about TLJ as possible given the insider hype), and certainly avoid listening to the OST or any tracks released in advance. I've already seen the album art which is hardly a spoiler.

All I'm going to watch is a featurette on the score IF Disney release such a thing. I won't be going out of my way to listen to clips and I'll just remain blissfully ignorant of any incidental music appearing in videos (like that Porgs video, which is still a mystery). Of course, I'm not even sure we'll get a scoring featurette until after the film's released; we probably got lucky with that 60 Minutes video and I doubt they'll repeat that for TLJ (given that Star Wars movies are now 'just' an annual event).

I'm avoiding any discussion of the score once it's leaked/available. I accidentally read a description for TFA which spoiled the mystery music in the TV spot (Jedi Steps) was actually the finale of the film, which spoiled the final minute of the movie for me and really distracted me. It'd be like reading a review for TLJ which spoiled Luke & Leia as the final cue before End Titles, which would obviously be a huge spoiler for multiple reasons.

I'm a music fan first and a film fan fourth or fifth, so I'll be listening to the OST the first chance I get. I do kind of like the idea of hearing a Star Wars score for the first time in a theater, but not enough to forego listening to it. I'll be reading the track list as soon as that's released as well!

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think I might go to the cinema completely clean. Never done that before.

I feel like I knew too much about TFA and JW's score before seeing the film. Although listening to an End Credits suite with no idea about the new themes was really unique, trying to work out where each new theme began and finished was confusing but fun at the same time.

But let's face it, there aren't going to be many more opportunities to actually experience a new JW SW score completely fresh, exactly as JW intended (in the film itself, discovering the themes as he develops them throughout the film). With a 150 minute runtime, I hope his thematic development will be quite beefy, too.

Here is the thing if we think the music will be handled the same way as in TFA.

- Either I listen to the soundtrack and wonder how great it will be in the movie. But then, I'll be desapointed at how much burried under the sound design it is.

- Or I don't listen to anything, I go to the theater and I am desapointed with the music due to the mix.

So I will clearly listen to itas soon as it lands on spotify :)

But I have a good feeling about this soundtrack and, somehow, I trust Johnson to have less burried and/or butchered it in the editing room.

I'll start by listening to TFA, and then I'll move on to TLJ, to listen for continuities/expansions of themes. I'll then watch the film, then I'll reprogram my f***ing CD player, to play the f***ing score in the right f***king order! Grrr!

I will listen to whatever comes out legally in advance (I can’t be bothered with any leaks) and see the film at midnight. I’ll have seen the film 3-5 times before the OST arrives. 

If anything is leaked before the movie's premiere, I'll listen to it.

But ultimately, my first exposure will be the film itself (the press screening -- probably a day or two before the premiere, at most).

Normally I would wait to see the film before listening to the soundtrack (that's what I did for TFA). But this time around I will be listening to the score as soon as I can...I have my reasons.

I listened to it every day for months.... and have nothing but fond memories of that period.  Getting obsessed with a brand new John Williams Star Wars OST isn't exactly a common occurrence!!

I'll be seeing the movie on December 14th. Assuming the OST is released on the 15th, I'll be seeing the movie before I listen to the album. If it manages to get into the public domain before the 14th, I'll listen to the OST first.

I've preordered the CD from Amazon, so I'll certainly have it before seeing the movie.  I might listen to a concert track or two, if there are any (and maybe the Main Title).  Otherwise I'll try to go in cold.

My thinking is that since these are JW's last Star Wars scores, I want to try a different experience each time. With TFA, I couldn't pick between saving the score for the film or diving right in, so I compromised by listening to the concert suites and one or two other tracks that intrigued me, then saved most of the underscore for the film. So with these next two, I'll go all or nothing.

For this one, I'm seeing the movie on the 14th, so if it's successfully kept under wraps, obviously my choice will be made for me, but otherwise if it leaks or is put on Spotify/YouTube, I will listen this time. I want that experience of just letting Williams conjure up all the imagery and drama in my head. I missed the fun of that with TFA. Also, I'm bored.

And frankly, I do keep in mind that this might end up being his last Star Wars rather than his second-to-last, and given the choice between going with the OST first or the film, I'd rather take the opportunity to just enjoy the music. Then if he does do Episode 9, I can make that my conscious effort to just stay completely away from Star Wars and wait to see and hear as much as I can in the film first. It'd be the most fun to do that with the end of the trilogy, anyway.

Also I want to avoid any sorts of comments or reviews on the score for awhile. Last time with TFA I jumped right into all the discussions and arguments and I feel like it kinda tainted my enjoyment of it, put too much thought and energy into other people's opinions of it while I was still forming my own. Probably will try to stay away from the Internet for maybe that weekend after the release.

Last option.

I like familiarising myself with a JW score before seeing the movie and hearing the music in context.

I think this is the most satisfying way to experience new JW music. If I go in cold, it's too much input: pay attention to the visuals, the music, and the story. It can get overwhelming. 

I read everyone's reactions here for TFA and was so fucking disappointed, as soon as "the shrine that isn't affiliated with final fantasy" had the score I caved after a long day at work and listened. Rey's Theme was an enigma to me then, but now, just with the rest of the score, it all made sense. 

This time I'll still read all the miserable comments and still listen to bits of the score because I have to say it helped, it made everything clearer when I saw it with the film.

I remember reading all the negativity and it set my expectations really low, like... KOTCS low.

I'd already prepared myself for the weak Main Title recording (so I knew that was coming) but was very pleasantly surprised by JW's score for the first half hour or so. I was like, "what are these people talking about? All this brass is awesome and you can tell Kylo Ren has a cool fanfare!"

But before long I started to wonder why so much of the underscore felt thin and restrained, with very little musical indulgence. It makes sense now but it was a shock at the time.

Probably cold. I've listened to OSTs prior to seeing movies in past, and while the music itself can be nice to listen to, I think its value isn't as precious to me as the pure magic of that first fresh viewing and seeing/hearing everything for the first time. This is the experience as intended and I prefer to honour the creators vision in that regard.

Cinema is not a magical experience if one turns the viewing into an analytical checklist instead. I don't consider those people to be true fans of medium.

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Probably cold. I've listened to OSTs prior to seeing movies in past, and while the music itself can be nice to listen to, I think its value isn't as precious to me as the pure magic of that first fresh viewing and seeing/hearing everything for the first time. This is the experience as intended and I prefer to honour the creators vision in that regard.

Cinema is not a magical experience if one turns the viewing into an analytical checklist instead. I don't consider those people to be true fans of medium.

Vice versa, I've never given a monkey's toss about having to hear the score in context first. Soundtrack listening and film viewing are two very different worlds to me.

I consider myself a Star Wars and film fan first and foremost, so I do have tickets to two screenings on the 14th already (one of them uses actual 15/70mm IMAX film, rather than digital IMAX, so I am pretty hyped about that). So I'll see the film a couple times first, and I expect to get the CD shortly after, as I've pre-ordered it.

It's difficult to speculate whether or not I'll like the score. Judging by The Force Awakens OST, I'll probably have to give it several thorough listens to really fall in love with it.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Not for me and by definition. They're intrinsically linked.

I wouldn't say there's really any such thing as an "absolute" listening experience for me with film music, and most soundtracks honestly don't make much of an impression on me without having seen their films. But a John Williams soundtrack has always been a special case in that besides the music being lovelier than anything else on the market, his music is so consistently evocative of mood and feeling and so specifically reactive in its technique that he always gets my imagination running wild. When a track gets particularly rich or lyrical or colorful, it just fuels my excitement for whatever inspired it, especially when it comes to these big melodramatic fantasies.