JW's The Last Jedi's Score - How "cold" are you going in?

crumbs

How "cold" are you going in?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How "cold" are you going in?

• I'll look at the OST cover
    • I'll look at the track-list
    • I'll watch any scoring featurettes or B-Roll that Disney release of the scoring sessions
    • I'll listen to all the samples on iTunes when they're released
    • I'll read descriptions/reviews of the score posted by others
    • I'll listen to the concert suites and end credits suite only
    • I'll listen to the entire OST once before seeing the movie
    • I'll listen to the entire OST on repeat, all day long, for multiple days, until I've memorised the entire score... then see the movie

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/17 at 01:00 AM

Williams writes a Star Wars score for a narrative, to convey something about a specific story and the emotions of the characters.  That is the context in which I prefer to first experience the music he has written. 

I will listen to it on repeat before I see the film until I can spot the references and new themes. I have found that I appreciate a film more when I know the musical identity going into it.  

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

“Whatever pays the country club dues, Kathy-baby.”

“If money is all that you love, then that’s what you’ll receive.”

The OST should arrive in my mailbox about 9-10 hours before I see the film on the 15th. I’m going to try to go in cold, since some people have commented about the pleasure of waiting to hear the music for the first time within the context it was written. But those 10 hours will be a long slog for sure. 

My plan is to rip the CD into iTunes the moment it lands in the mailbox, sync it to my phone, and blast it hard in the car on the way home from the theater. And hand my phone over to my wife so she can keep me from playing it on the way TO the theater.

• 3 weeks later...

Timely bump with the tracklist leaking. I've resisted looking at every tracklist except those very early Reddit ones (which were probably fake, with 23 tracks and all).

Hope you're all staying strong!

The old reddit leak with 22 tracks was completely fake.

The real final track list just leaked yesterday, but wasn't confirmed to be real until today.

On 15. November 2017 at 3:08 PM, someonefun124 said:

I'm just concerned that I am going to be disappointed with the music if I hear it in the film first as opposed to the OST.  The music in TFA was mixed in so low and botched in many areas, that it left little impression on those who heard it in the film first.  Furthermore, due to their disappointment, they weren't able to bounce back from that and realize that it is truly an excellent score.

No doubt TLJ score volume in the film will be similar to TFA.

Can't judge the film itself, but if the music in the film left little impression and was dissapointing, how is it an excellent score

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

The old reddit leak with 22 tracks was completely fake.

The real final track list just leaked yesterday, but wasn't confirmed to be real until today.

Awesome news, I didn't read either! Although I did see two speculative track titles being discussed (now confirmed), but neither were really spoilers if you've seen the ads.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Because the music itself is good? Think The Desolation Of Smaug: good music, but butchered in the film in such a way it rarely gets to shine.

Yes, that's why in the film, DoS isn't a very good score either. 

It's a great soundtrack presentation, but not a very good score. Just seems odd to me to call something a great SCORE, when it apparently isn't, because people left the film dissapointed when thinking about the music.

I learned a long time ago to separate the album from the movie.

Won't be any different here.

Also, I do know other films than Tolkien adaptions:P 

I just really hope they mixed TLJ better than TFA. Did Ben Burtt sneak into the mixing stage after hours and turn down the music tracks or something?

I'm dreading JJ's mix for IX. How Gia gets treated so well and JW so poorly is beyond me.

7 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Yes, that's why in the film, DoS isn't a very good score either. 

It's a great soundtrack presentation, but not a very good score. Just seems odd to me to call something a great SCORE, when it apparently isn't, because people left the film dissapointed when thinking about the music.

But it hasn't less to do with the actual music, and more with the way it is presented. Why wouldn't you call a score that offers excellent music great?

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

But it hasn't got to do with the music, more with the way it is presented. Why wouldn't you call a score that offers excellent music great?

Because the score to me is the music accompanying the film, IN the film. It interacts with the images and dialogue. The soundtrack on album is a completely different environment. That's why I can't judge both on an equal basis.

It doesn't matter whose fault it is that the music present on album doesn't translate into the film. Of course it's editing, but as a SCORE, it's still not very good.

Also, DoS is not the best example because it preserved quite a few highlights. If it has to be a Hobbit example, BOTFA is far FAR worse.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Im dreading JJ's mix for IX.

When in the mixing phase, the sound editor puportedly said "oh this is truly a great film. You need a better sound editor than I am." to which JJ responded "I know but they're all dead".

Well, looks like I'm going in stone cold. Not searched for details online, sought out snippets, track listing whatever. A matter of going to see the film and listening to it in any shape or form there and then. 

Ok, guys, I'm starting with the soundtrack of SW Episode I. Every evening- one episode's music (without the Giachinno one), until the big day next week.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

OSTs or expansions?

Listening to the Empire special edition as we speak, through random luck of the shuffle.  Yesterday got McNeely's Shadows of the Empire, also randomly.

The extended one.I'm actually watching the movie with my ears. Episode I- 134min., Good(Anakin), good.

So is everyone sticking to their guns? I've only seen the cover art, inadvertently seen 2 track titles, and read a few early reactions about the score (and comments about its presence in the film's sound mix).

So far as I'm aware, I still haven't heard a single note from the score itself. :)

I'm scared to go into the 'social media' reactions thread. Is that filled with spoilers now? I read about a new theme in the FSM thread and instantly closed it, figured people would spoiler tag something like that. :(

Would be nice to have a general, spoiler free summary of reactions thus far, like if the score is good/more noticeable than TFA, etc. but I only have to wait 3 more sleeps! :)

Is a forum social media?

But I take your point. Who really cares what other people think about the score? Half of them probably wouldn't even understand film music if it bit them on the ass. 

In a few days I can make up my own mind, like with TFA.

WTF! Was just on Facebook and the official Star Wars page just posted what appeared to be a HUGE spoiler image with the caption, "Make sure you see The Last Jedi before you accidentally see any spoilers!"

Who was the complete idiot who thought that was a good idea?!?!

I haven't seen any teasers either, so I guess I don't know what you're talking about. Good. It should stay that way until tomorrow night.

Oh, I'm even avoiding multiplayer games. This time last year a few people ran around every Battlefront server they could find and spoiled the Rogue One endings in the chat.