Tadlow has launched Kickstarter campaign to fund Rozsa's King of Kings

Jurassic Shark

10 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

As much as I appreciate their efforts, would there be any chance of them rerecording a score again that isn't already available in reasonable sound quality?

For example Rozsa's The Plymouth Adventure, Korngold's, Captain Blood, Rozsa's The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Williams' Dracula, etc.?

Or am I saying crazy things now....?

I completely agree with you.

Once there was a 2CD presentation from Warner of the complete score to Kings of Kings, in early 60s stereo. I would love to have this, and I would probably buy it over the Tadlow re-recording. At least Tadlow's initiative brings attention to the soundtrack, giving WaterTower Music an incentive to re-release the original.

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We all know what happened to the last Tadlow Kickstarter.

That's because they neglected to clear the rights beforehand. This time, James Fitzpatrick has done that and also has the blessing of Rozsa's daughter, so there shouldn't be any legal hiccups.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Once there was a 2CD presentation from Warner of the complete score to Kings of Kings, in early 60s stereo. I would love to have this, and I would probably buy it over the Tadlow re-recording. At least Tadlow's initiative brings attention to the soundtrack, giving WaterTower Music an incentive to re-release the original.

35$ and it's yours:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KING-OF-KINGS-Miklos-Rozsa-2CD-set-TCM-Music-Rhino-/201017496845

Yeah. But i see this popping up on german eBay from time to time and max 60€ is the going rate. I vouch for the absolutely top-notch - for the time - sound quality. Will the Tadlow sound better? Absolutely. Does it make sense to choose this over a lot of other material in far worse shape? No.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah. But i see this popping up on german eBay from time to time and max 60€ is the going rate. I vouch for the absolutely top-notch - for the time - sound quality. Will the Tadlow sound better? Absolutely. Does it make sense to choose this over a lot of other material in far worse shape? No.

I guess the choices about which score to re-record have a lot to do with the personal preferences of those in charge, in addition to what will sell well.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

As much as I appreciate their efforts, would there be any chance of them rerecording a score again that isn't already available in reasonable sound quality?

THIS!!

I see all these efforts totally unnecessary.

There are many scores that we don't even have bad quality recordings of them.

Let alone re-record a score that already sounds very good!

But again, it's their label, they can record whatever they want.

I just expressed how i feel.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

According to Mr Fitzpatrick there’s still a chance for Moonraker.

im content with the Rhino 2 CD set and I need to see the Black Friday releases first before I make a contribution.

i agree there are other scores that need a re- recording, One Dangerous Ground is one of them. 

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

We do?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25000-moonraker-the-tadlow-kickstarter-campaign/

• 1 month later...

With nearly €2k over the target at the moment, it does look quite safe. Never forget that backers can (and sometimes do) back out (no pun intended) before the end of the campaign, so a close victory can turn into a close loss if things go badly.

Considering all the ideas over the years of "let's just get someone to reconstruct the Dracula score and crowdfund the recording ourselves" etc., I believe this is quite an important Kickstarter. It could pave the way for future re-recording campaigns, and the more money it ends up making, the better the chances that it encourages people to do further projects. So if you haven't backed yet, do consider it, and not just because of this one score.

James did write this on the FSM thread:

Just so people do not need to speculate...on my wish list are Dracula/the Curse of Frankenstein, The Vikings, Night of the Hunter, Jesus of Nazareth.....that's it...for now. I definitely will not be doing Black Patch or Face of the Fugitive...historically interesting Goldsmith scores but not particularly interesting musically....Spartacus....would cost twice as much as K of K and not a chance in he'll of even covering a small part of budget...and not really inclined to do any Herrmann as a sales disaster re Obsession.....but I can always be persuaded otherwise if enough people want to contribute their hard earned dosh! But for scores I love then I will fork out 50% of the total budget....but for others the "fans" will have to fun it 100%!!!

11 hours ago, Woj said:

What's wrong with the Rhino album? Alway sounded fine to me. 

It's out of print and very expensive to obtain on the secondhand market.

9 hours ago, Romão said:

Although he could reffering to the Hammer films, though

You're probably right.

Yep, it's the Hammer. Not particularly good music, sadly. 'Jesus of Nazareth' and 'Might of the Hunter', on the other hand. Though on our german FB group we probably will set up our own 'Lionheart' kickstarter in due time. Philips is interested in tackling it, JP is not. But it would sell, so.

It's very difficult to gauge the popularity of these Kickstarter campaigns. E.g. one Finnish comic book artist has successfully funded two projects already and is currently funding the third which has actually already hit the goal and gone over it with over six times the amount of money needed (The campaign has gathered now over $220 000), which speaks of the dedicated fan base of these comics.  I am time and time again amazed how many fans these comics have and how the free internet comic has spawned such a following. By comparison something like a re-recording of a biblical epic of a Golden Age composer seems again like a very niche market with relatively minor following.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Yep, it's the Hammer. Not particularly good music, sadly. 'Jesus of Nazareth' and 'Might of the Hunter', on the other hand. Though on our german FB group we probably will set up our own 'Lionheart' kickstarter in due time. Philips is interested in tackling it, JP is not. But it would sell, so.

Which FB group is that?

I'm often baffled by the selection of scores to get a re-recording. For example, look at the Marco Polo and Naxos film music series. It has so many scores which I find mediocre or uninteresting.

On 17/11/2017 at 11:44 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

For example Rozsa's The Plymouth Adventure, Korngold's, Captain Blood, Rozsa's The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Williams' Dracula, etc.?

Or am I saying crazy things now....?

You're not crazy, Pete.

I have KING OF KINGS, and the sound is really not bad, at all.

Pieter's right; it would be nice to hear rerecordings of long OOP scores, instead of an update of an already good-sounding one.

Having said that, I'm sure that it will sound fabulous. 

On 28/12/2017 at 9:48 AM, publicist said:

Yep, it's the Hammer. Not particularly good music, sadly.

James Bernard? "Not particularly good"?! Are you 'avin a giraffe?!

On 11/17/2017 at 1:46 PM, filmmusic said:

THIS!!

I see all these efforts totally unnecessary.

There are many scores that we don't even have bad quality recordings of them.

Let alone re-record a score that already sounds very good!

But again, it's their label, they can record whatever they want.

I just expressed how i feel.

I believe James has commented in the past that in order to make the money back, he has to do more than just sell CDs - he has to be able to licence his re-recordings like library tracks. (amongst other uses probably)

Hence, he can't choose more obscure scores because they wouldn't have a life beyond us geeks.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:53 AM, Richard said:

You're not crazy, Pete.

I have KING OF KINGS, and the sound is really not bad, at all.

Pieter's right; it would be nice to hear rerecordings of long OOP scores, instead of an update of an already good-sounding one.

Having said that, I'm sure that it will sound fabulous. 

James Bernard? "Not particularly good"?! Are you 'avin a giraffe?!

Not for nothing, as I own the Rhino King of Kings myself as well as the FSM box, but have you seen the second hand prices for KoK?

https://www.amazon.com/King-Kings-Miklos-Rozsa/dp/B00006311P/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1515102228&sr=1-2&keywords=king+of+king+rozsa

It's as bad as the LoTR complete recordings situation.

• 2 years later...

I wonder when we'll see this KoK rerecording. Too bad about JF's health problems.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:48 AM, publicist said:

How's it going with that Lionheart kickstarter?

• 3 weeks later...

James Fitzpatrick's most recent post at FSM was just over two weeks ago (4/24):

Any further news? On top of everything else I'm now having to isolate myself because I've got some symptoms of this damned disease. Not good news at my age

Not long to go now .... artwork and master should be going off to get manufactured early May ....

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=138322&archive=0

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...